Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 14,763 times

Advertisements

HELP! Moving from Atlanta to NYC in two weeks..need apartment in North Jersey..fast commute.
My budget is $1000 and under. Prefer under. Was looking at Jersey City...Need safe area. Any leads on a one or two bedroom apartment welcome now! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM

239 posts, read 671,051 times
is that with no roommates? < $1,000 will be tough.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,257,267 times
One bedroom apartments in safe areas of Jersey City start around $1500 and go wayyyy up from there. You can find a bedroom/share, though. You can start with searching craigslist, but beware of scams. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

If you want your own apartment for $1000, that's going to be tough, especially when holding onto short commute AND safe criteria. One area that might work for you is Union City along Palisade Ave. It's a little rough around the edges, and fluency in Spanish will be an asset to you. But it's not unsafe (feels perfectly fine when I've walked/biked in the area day and night), I've seen ads for apartments in the $1000-1100 range, and there's a bus along Palisade Ave that goes right to Port Authority Bus Terminal near Times Sq.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetastar1965 View Post
HELP! Moving from Atlanta to NYC in two weeks..need apartment in North Jersey..fast commute.
My budget is $1000 and under. Prefer under. Was looking at Jersey City...Need safe area. Any leads on a one or two bedroom apartment welcome now! Thanks
Try the Y-M-C-A, it's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A-AAY!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM

283 posts, read 432,686 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Huntsville, AL and just moved up here to JC two months ago. It's waaaaay more expensive than what we're used to in the south, so you better up that budget.

My wife just got a job offer out-of-state that we can't turn down, so we need a lease takeover on our huge 1020sq ft 1br in the Laguna luxury highrise in the Newport area. If you're interested, here's a link:
1BR/1BATH+DEN available for lease takeover from Nov 1, 2013

I'll warn you though, it isn't cheap. But otherwise meets all your requirements. We moved here because I travel for work and didn't want to worry about the wife if she had to walk at night, etc.

And if you're thinking of moving inland from the NJ coast, it's not any better. I just helped my cousin move from his 1960s house in Mount Arlington, NJ (an hour away), and it was still $2800 for that place.

Don't negate the cost of utilities too. Older buildings will be much more expensive on the utilities during the winter.

Good luck with the move! It's a great place to live, but be ready to fork over some serious money for a nice place.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times
IMHO, the OP is going to need to do some serious compromising in regard to her criteria.
Paying $1k per month--or less--will necessitate one or more of these changes to her criteria:
  • Living with a roommate (or two, or three roommates)
  • Having a longer (probably MUCH longer) commute to NYC
  • Living in an area that is not particularly safe
I empathize with the OP, but I have to wonder how much research/due diligence she did before deciding to move to the NY Metro area. Not only are rents substantially higher than what she is used to, but she is likely to find that utility costs and commuting costs are higher than what she anticipated.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I empathize with the OP, but I have to wonder how much research/due diligence she did before deciding to move to the NY Metro area. Not only are rents substantially higher than what she is used to, but she is likely to find that utility costs and commuting costs are higher than what she anticipated.

I'm right there with you. A move to this area needs considerable resources. I had a lot in savings and my wife could earn double here, or I wouldn't have moved myself.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,030 times
Quote:
West New York, NJ or Union City, NJ

Round the clock bus transportation.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
West New York, NJ or Union City, NJ

Round the clock bus transportation.
But $1000 for a 1br without a roommate?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 AM

108 posts, read 149,302 times
You can find 1 bedrooms in the places below, I know this for a fact, I've lived in almost all of them. The ride to the city is going to be longer but nj has highways that go rite into n.y or trains. I worked in the city and lived in n.j for years, tolls for bridges suck big time, between that and gas I was paying around 45 buck everyday to get to work and back. The bridges and tunnel prices are about 15 bucks not to mention if you take the turnpike that could be another 5 plus gas...the best move I made when working out there was get a 1 bedroom in staten island for 1200 and took the train to work, that was good and saved a bunch of cash because let me tell you, if you have never been out here, you will want to kill yourself in traffic to and from work everyday. Any place you find to live for under 1000 in nj is going to take 1 hour to drive to work and that's if your lucky and there is only lite traffic. But really, more like 2 or better because the road is like a slow moving parking lot everyday. I can't even count how many times I've sat in traffic for 4 hours to get into the city, your best bet is to move to one of the places im going to list and jump rite on the train, no traffic and you will be in to city in 45min-1hour.....here's the list...

Elizabeth
Rahway
New brunswick
Union
Edison
North brunswick
Somerville

You can find a 1 bedroom in any of these places for 1000 or under....all have trains to the city near by. I know a landlord who is friends of my family that has 1 bedrooms right now for 800-1000 in somerville and it nice. Prob the nicest town you will find for that price. I just moved here a few weeks ago and rented a place from him for 900 with new kitchens, hardwood floors, and in a nice area, I walk outside and there are places to eat, the train is 2 blocks away and Ive been to the city a bunch of times already, it takes 1hour on the dot to get there....let me know if your interested and I can give you my number so I can get you in contact with dean (landlord) he's a good friend and a nice person...the apt next to me just got redone after the girl moved out. And will be available next week, there are only 4 apts in our building , I'm one, the other two are a single woman 65 and alone, and a 70 man alone... I'm in my 30s and the building is nice and quiet...with private parking....also rt 78 is connected to somerville and it goes rite into n.y, super nice drive....downtown somerville is all new and clean, its a cozy little town...

Last edited by mrlindin; 10-13-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey