Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 106,994 times

Advertisements

My husband is relocating to Manhattan for work, and we are considering New Jersey because NYC rentals are so crazy high. We have a 13 month old toddler and are looking for two bedrooms, around an hour commute to Midtown and with a max budget of 2000 per month. Our priority is obviously safety and ideally we would like some amenities to be within walking distance. I really hope we will find something that fits our criteria, but this is an international move and we are COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the towns, transport system and most things USA so ANY help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
You'll need to answer the questions on the sticky at the top of the forum. You should have a fair number of choices; be aware that in most of them you should plan on having at least one car.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
Rutherford.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 51,800 times
We moved from London 3 years back and were exactly in the same situation as you are. We saw rentals in many towns and ended up with Secaucus. We currently rent a 2 bed apartment in Harmon Cove and it is a very good community. There is a bus which comes right on your door which takes you to Port Authority or midtown within 30-45 mins (depending on traffic). Or if your work is near NY penn station then there is a shuttle service. And Secaucus is just one stop away. There is a nursery, games room, pool in our community so ideal for a toddler and security is 24 hrs. There are more rental communities here like Xchange and Osprey Cove. They may have rental around 2200 a month or so. Harmon Cove varies between 2100 - 2200 depending on the size of the unit or the upgrades. The town also has lot to offer. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

I think these are the questions you mean...

Where are you coming from?
I am from London, my husband is Mexican and we currently live in Mexico City
Why are you moving?
Temporary move (2 years) for my husband's job (audit at one of the large accountancy firms)
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Midtown Manhattan

Will you buy or rent?
Rent
What is your budget ?
2000 per month
What kind of place are you looking for ?
Two bedrooms, safe, convenient, etc.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
my husband and our 13 month old son
Do you need/want good public schools?
No, but toddler groups etc. will be a necessity

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
families with young children, safe, some diversity, quiet, green

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Safety, good for families, convenience of local amenities

I think the above more or less covers it. Thanks again for any feedback.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeg View Post
We moved from London 3 years back and were exactly in the same situation as you are. We saw rentals in many towns and ended up with Secaucus. We currently rent a 2 bed apartment in Harmon Cove and it is a very good community. There is a bus which comes right on your door which takes you to Port Authority or midtown within 30-45 mins (depending on traffic). Or if your work is near NY penn station then there is a shuttle service. And Secaucus is just one stop away. There is a nursery, games room, pool in our community so ideal for a toddler and security is 24 hrs. There are more rental communities here like Xchange and Osprey Cove. They may have rental around 2200 a month or so. Harmon Cove varies between 2100 - 2200 depending on the size of the unit or the upgrades. The town also has lot to offer. Good luck!
Thanks for this. My husband had thought of Secaucus but I heard somewhere that because it is the main commuter town it is not the safest/nicest area which concerns me a little, but I will certainly look into Harmon Cove. I wonder if it may be slightly out of our budget as we really don't want to spend more than 2000. Fingers crossed!

My husband spent some time in Ridgewood and really liked it, but he would have a door-to-door commute of 75-90 minutes, which is a little more than we would have liked. Are there any similar options that involve a slightly shorter commute or is this wishful thinking within our budget?

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,043 times
you will definitely need a car outside of Manhattan. Even in Secaucus. It's a decent town, very diversified.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
You may want to look at Hoboken. Lots of families there with very young children. They mostly move out of Hoboken before kindergarten.

Hoboken is right on the river directly across from Manhattan. You can take the PATH train or the ferry, and have a really fast commute.

Hoboken has many parks & playgrounds & lots of restaurants, shops on Washington.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
Rutherford.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 AM

239 posts, read 379,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
You may want to look at Hoboken. Lots of families there with very young children. They mostly move out of Hoboken before kindergarten.

Hoboken is right on the river directly across from Manhattan. You can take the PATH train or the ferry, and have a really fast commute.

Hoboken has many parks & playgrounds & lots of restaurants, shops on Washington.
They want a 2br for 2000 a month. Hoboken is not remotely realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey