Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM

252 posts, read 457,670 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to work on Davidson ave. There are actually rentals right on the Piers st. I am not sure how much is rent there but I can guarantee you that it will not be in your range of $800-$1000. If you are looking to rent in Somerset area you need budget of at least $1200-$1800 depending upon condo vs townhouse.

If you are not living in Newport you need a car in New Jersey.

There were two Indian grocery stores in Somerset, Sai and Sabhji Mandi. Both are closed. Sai closed due to high price and less traffic where Sabhji Mandi was doing well and all of a sudden it stopped.

For Indian Groceries you either have to go to Piscataway exit 5 off 287 or on route 27. Both will require a car as there is no public transportation available.

If you choose to live in Piscataway way near to Indian community and convenient of Indian groceries and restaurants you will have to drive to work where 1) you will need a car 2)Rush hours traffic will add extra 20 minutes on commute.

Even in Piscataway area you are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment around $1,200

Also remember if this is the first time you are coming to USA you will need a co-signer or letter of employment with paycheck to lease an apartment.

Hope this information helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,210,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivram View Post
Thanks for your valuable infos. I would be working in davison avenue, somerset, nj. Inorder to take care of my baby i need to look after the best possible areas in terms of both location with accessibilities, moderate rent (for me its $800 - $1000) and travel time from work to home shud be less than 45 mins. I dont know if im looking something not possible but informations wud help me decide that.
There are plenty of pediatricians in the Somerset area & two major hospitals (St. Peter's and Robert Wood Johnson).

Those Pierce St. places ARE pricey.

AVE Somerset Apartments Apartments For Rent in Somerset, New Jersey - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

So are the ones on Easton.

Somerset Apartments, New Jersey Apartment Rentals | Avalon Somerset

For private rentals try:

Somerset Apartments - Rent Apartments in Somerset, NJ

New Jersey Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NJ.com classifieds

Garden State MLS

Sometimes people don't advertise online, you have to drive around and see the signs they put up on the weekends.

I think it's going to be hard to find a decent place for $1000 month. Best of Luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 AM

15 posts, read 31,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Somerset County operates a shuttle that goes around the corporate campuses near Davidson Ave. during morning & afternoon rush. One shuttle serves the New Brunswick train station and goes up & down Easton Ave. The other serves Bound Brook station. Cost is cheap at $2 each way.

I've taken the shuttle from time to time and there are plenty of Indian immigrants who use it. A Bombay Express if you will. They seem to live in garden apts. in Somerset off of Easton Ave, Not sure what rent is there.
Thanks for your information

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
If you are planning to work on Davidson ave. There are actually rentals right on the Piers st. I am not sure how much is rent there but I can guarantee you that it will not be in your range of $800-$1000. If you are looking to rent in Somerset area you need budget of at least $1200-$1800 depending upon condo vs townhouse.

If you are not living in Newport you need a car in New Jersey.

There were two Indian grocery stores in Somerset, Sai and Sabhji Mandi. Both are closed. Sai closed due to high price and less traffic where Sabhji Mandi was doing well and all of a sudden it stopped.

For Indian Groceries you either have to go to Piscataway exit 5 off 287 or on route 27. Both will require a car as there is no public transportation available.

If you choose to live in Piscataway way near to Indian community and convenient of Indian groceries and restaurants you will have to drive to work where 1) you will need a car 2)Rush hours traffic will add extra 20 minutes on commute.

Even in Piscataway area you are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment around $1,200

Also remember if this is the first time you are coming to USA you will need a co-signer or letter of employment with paycheck to lease an apartment.

Hope this information helps.
You information is very good one. It helps me to narrow down or adjust my decision. Im currently searching in homes app in ios7 and trulia to get some idea on the rentals and other things. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
There are plenty of pediatricians in the Somerset area & two major hospitals (St. Peter's and Robert Wood Johnson).

Those Pierce St. places ARE pricey.

AVE Somerset Apartments Apartments For Rent in Somerset, New Jersey - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

So are the ones on Easton.

Somerset Apartments, New Jersey Apartment Rentals | Avalon Somerset

For private rentals try:

Somerset Apartments - Rent Apartments in Somerset, NJ

New Jersey Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NJ.com classifieds

Garden State MLS

Sometimes people don't advertise online, you have to drive around and see the signs they put up on the weekends.

I think it's going to be hard to find a decent place for $1000 month. Best of Luck!
Thank you very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey