Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM

35 posts, read 33,968 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of trying to sell our cond in Bayonne and move to Waldwick. Both of us work in Waldwick. I have been working in the same place for 17 years and I don't see that changing. My wife on the other hand might have a career opportunity in Bay Ridge Brooklyn. She worked there during her internship last year (she is a psychologist). It was obviously a simple commute from Bayonne but now that we are planning to move to Waldwick that will complicate things. What is the most direct way for her to commute to Bay Ridge? I know the train will obviously be involved but where she would be working the closest subway is a 15 minute walk.

As much as I was looking forward to a 5 minute commute I will also have to consider maybe living somewhere about 30 minutes away. Any town suggestions that are within 30 minutes from waldwick that will also make the commute to BK. easier for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
That commute by public transportation is going to be LONG no matter where you live. Bay Ridge is pretty far south and at the end of the R line on 4th Ave, which is a local train. You're looking at 2 1/2 hours one way.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM

135 posts, read 370,568 times
Waldwick can be 30-60 minutes far away from Brooklyn depending on traffic. I once dropped a friend off in Waldwick, and it was only a 20-25 minute ride because there wasn't any traffic! If there's heavy traffic, I'd expect a 45-60 minute ride, maybe longer if the traffic is that bad. You could take Route 17 South then go onto Route 3 East and take the Lincoln Tunnel. Or you can go down Route 17 South and take the exit for the GWB. Bay Ridge is a bit of a distance once you enter NYC, so you must also consider adding time onto that. If she wants to use public transportation, that's a different story. The Express Bus can take you to NYC in about 40 minutes, the train usually takes an hour because of all the stops. From that point, it's taking the subway to Brooklyn. However, if you want to consider nice towns even closer to NYC, I'd suggest Rutherford. It's probably good bang for your buck. Edgewater, Hoboken, Weehawken and the nicer parts of Jersey City can be pricey, but they're super convenient, though I'm sure you've already considered them.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM

208 posts, read 468,518 times
Where in Bay Ridge? If its the VA, good luck. That's where I worked. My commute was HORRIBLE. I lived in Edison, then moved to Hoboken while I was there. It took me 1/2 to get in, cost me $10 to cross the bridge in Manhattan. To leave, if went through NYC it took me 2 1/2 hours. If I drove through Staten Island it cost me an additional $15? Mass transit was horrible as well. I walked to the Bus, got dropped off at Port authority, then took the R, N to the end and then attempted to take the bus. It too me a good 2.5 hours from HOBOKEN. I can't imagine further out. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
Waldwick can be 30-60 minutes far away from Brooklyn depending on traffic. I once dropped a friend off in Waldwick, and it was only a 20-25 minute ride because there wasn't any traffic! If there's heavy traffic, I'd expect a 45-60 minute ride, maybe longer if the traffic is that bad. You could take Route 17 South then go onto Route 3 East and take the Lincoln Tunnel. Or you can go down Route 17 South and take the exit for the GWB. Bay Ridge is a bit of a distance once you enter NYC, so you must also consider adding time onto that. If she wants to use public transportation, that's a different story. The Express Bus can take you to NYC in about 40 minutes, the train usually takes an hour because of all the stops. From that point, it's taking the subway to Brooklyn. However, if you want to consider nice towns even closer to NYC, I'd suggest Rutherford. It's probably good bang for your buck. Edgewater, Hoboken, Weehawken and the nicer parts of Jersey City can be pricey, but they're super convenient, though I'm sure you've already considered them.
Which airline were you flying? It takes 25 mins to go from Rutherford to Waldwick, nevermind Bklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey