Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
I live in Ocala, Florida....literally known as the Horse Capital of the World with more horses and more varieties of horses here than anywhere else in the world. The countryside is rolling hills with lush pastures and large shade trees and horse farms each one more opulent and expansive than the last. I am an hour from world class beaches to the East or West that I don't have to pay to use !!! I am an hour from world class salt water fishing to the East or West and surrounded by world class fresh water fishing. I have a variety of fabulous restaurants and If I want city lights I have Tampa Bay just to the south. The big difference is that I am never bored because unlike New Jersey it's NEVER horrible out. There's no hibernating through winter because it's never winter......I can do something outside 52 weeks a year here.....and I do. Reality is that when people retire you never hear of anyone moving north to New Jersey. Although those still stuck in New Jersey think I visit the NJ forum because I somehow miss NJ I can assure you I truly only stop by from time to time to read all the posts complaining about taxes, traffic, blue laws, crime, politics and the general decline of the state and it's cities. It humorous to listen to people complain but then defend a bad situation trying to convince themselves it's "not that bad" when it's literally the worst state out of 50 for taxes. People get angry with me because they would rather live in denial, pay outrageous taxes and hibernate all winter rather than admit they would rather be someplace else than Nj.
The number of horses or amount of breeds have nothing to do with calling ones self "The Horse capitol of the World" is comes down to a PATENT: Your bragging rights have just been shot to hell

Is the "Horse Capital of the World" Lexington, Kentucky or Ocala, Forida.? According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, it's Ocala and the surrounding area in Marion County.
Numbers have nothing to do with it. Texas and California lead the way by far in terms of number of horses of all breeds by state. But Kentucky and Florida, in a sort of friendly rivalry, have often gone back and forth on the issue of which state is the horse capital.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Kentucky and Florida in 'Horse Capital' Battle | BloodHorse.com

And to stay on topic the list for why NJ is appealing is endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Understood!! Many of your posts have been quite helpful and can not recall even one where you trashed NJ
agreed. PDD is not a former resident who HalfFull, etc are referring to.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM

478 posts, read 700,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The number of horses or amount of breeds have nothing to do with calling ones self "The Horse capitol of the World" is comes down to a PATENT: Your bragging rights have just been shot to hell

Is the "Horse Capital of the World" Lexington, Kentucky or Ocala, Forida.? According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, it's Ocala and the surrounding area in Marion County.
Numbers have nothing to do with it. Texas and California lead the way by far in terms of number of horses of all breeds by state. But Kentucky and Florida, in a sort of friendly rivalry, have often gone back and forth on the issue of which state is the horse capital.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Kentucky and Florida in 'Horse Capital' Battle | BloodHorse.com

And to stay on topic the list for why NJ is appealing is endless.

Quibble over numbers to your hearts content......it doesn't change the scenery or beauty of the area.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Quibble over numbers to your hearts content......it doesn't change the scenery or beauty of the area.
NFN but why is the US equestrian team located and training in NJ?

United States Equestrian Team Foundation

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
And it's "capital", dammit, not "capitol". The latter spelling refers only to a building.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And it's "capital", dammit, not "capitol". The latter spelling refers only to a building.
Sheesh Queen..chill, I was also looking at a stupid game called Guess Word and a picture of the "capitol" was showing as I was typing the response....lol....you're not turning into the NJ forum grammar and spelling police are you...lol

Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Congrats.

Here's a thought then: hang out on their forum instead of ours.
Here's another thought: stop trying to censor people

Not everything that these so-called, "Trolls" comment is in a negative light. You apparently haven't kept very good tabs on me if you think that.

And Florida guy has a point. Miserable winters do have an impact on people, hence why he prefers FL to NJ. It's nice to go on a run when it's over 60 degrees in January. Personally I'm not a fan of 4 distinct seasons either because during the transition months I usually get sick.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
This is the most densely populated state in the union, so rural is pretty subjective. I live in Hunterdon, my in-laws live in Sussex, and I grew up in a "rural" part of Mercer County. That said, from my house, my in-laws, or my parents house, I can be in New York City in about an hour (by road or rail), a Starbucks in 15 minutes, and a world class hospital in 20 minutes. What lammius said about light pollution is true also-there is so much light pollution between Boston and Washington that you can barely see only the brightest stars at night no matter where you are. Even the rural counties in NJ have services out the wazoo, a handful of unpaved roads, and access to just about anything.

Contrast all of this to a state like Maine. 80% of the state is unincorporated, meaning there is no municipal government (because there aren't enough people to warrant it), they have tens of thousands of miles of unpaved roads, many of which are seasonal, and access to healthcare, or even a grocery store or an interstate highway, could be hours away. I love Hunterdon County and it's beautiful, as are Cumberland, Salem, Sussex, Warren, etc...but they aren't that rural. Some parts feel that way, but in reality, even if you are sitting alone on the Kittatinny Ridge, deep in the woods between Hemlock Pond and Crater Lake on the Appalachian Trail and there isn't a soul around, you're still sitting smack in the middle of this:

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read this and felt the compulsion to back up the bolded with the following:

In contrast, the US as an entirety resembles the following:

If you have occasion to be in the Mountain Time Zone, outside a major city, you will see the light pollution begins to fade rather quickly. I was in Northwest Nebraska in the middle of the night a few months ago, for example, and there was literally nothing to pollute the night sky. It couldn't even be replicated in a planetarium.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I read this and felt the compulsion to back up the bolded with the following:
Thanks for posting that. It's amazing how sharp the line is between the Portland Metro area of Maine and the Great North Woods/Downeast portions. I would say the stars up there must be comparable to what you saw in Nebraska.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:00 PM

478 posts, read 700,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NFN but why is the US equestrian team located and training in NJ?

United States Equestrian Team Foundation
I can't speak to that but l can tell you the entire HITS program shifts to Ocala come fall and those that compete stable their horses here all winter as well as countless privately owned valuable horses. I lived in New Jersey for 64 years and both my daughters owned horses and competed in events and I can tell you winters play havoc with horses in NJ. I don't care if you board them at a stable with an indoor arena.....when outside the weather and frozen ground take a severe toll on their health and joints. Horses need to be out in fresh air to exercise etc and when it's too cold, wet, damp, snowing, sleeting or any of the other horrible weather that you get in NJ they have to be confined to their stalls.....and if your dumb enough to turn them out in that weather they play/fight and pull each other's blankets off in the process and then they are sick. If you honestly think that it's better to train in that type of weather conditions than Ocala, Florida then you are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey