Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,686 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I'm relocating from Columbus to Paramus and am apartment hunting. I'm trying to make a list of apartments and visit them soon, but I need to know which cities might be good for me to look into -- (or not look into lol). Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Also, I saw a recent post about gas attendants? How does that work? I have never had an attendant pump my gas lol, and would feel a little weird about it. Is there a discount for doing this? Are there any other things I should be aware of (I read in a similar thread about the car insurance too but it's good to know what I'm in for)

Thanks in advance!!

Where are you coming from?
Cleveland, OH
Why are you moving?
Relocating for a job
Where will you be working? Paramus

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? $900-$1100/Month for a 1 bedroom. Would consider a studio.
What kind of place are you looking for? A short commute to Paramus, a safe neighborhood,

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
Boyfriend may follow eventually
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Just something safe for a 26 year old girl, will be living on a fairly tight budget until I can get a roommate, don't care about night life at all or being near people my age. I like the suburban feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

124 posts, read 122,117 times
Welcome to NJ...

Paramus is a great town home to 4 major malls and only 8-12 miles from NYC (All closed on Sundays due to blue laws)

For your budget, check into New Milford or Hackensack which borders Paramus.
Hekemian apartments in Hackensack near River Edge border has large 1 bedroom apartments for $1100 or less.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,216,998 times
Paramus itself might not be a bad fit. It's a very suburban feeling place with a few malls, strip malls, so lots of places to shop and dine within the town. If you want a town with more of a "main street USA" type of a feel, you can try Westwood, which is just north of Paramus, or Ridgewood, which is just west of Paramus. Both of these towns have a few restaurants and shops on their main streets and train stations where you can take a train to Hoboken/NYC, and are only a 5-10 min drive to parts of Paramus. All of these places, and most other towns in northern Bergen County are generally very safe, family-oriented suburban communities.

If you're looking at ads on craigslist and other sites, the only towns near Paramus I'd caution you about are Hackensack (just south of Paramus) and Paterson (southwest of Paramus, a few towns over). Hackensack has some OK areas and some not OK areas, so if your search leads you there, check back in for advice on what areas of that town to avoid or target.

Bergen County has "blue laws" which require that retail establishments be closed on Sundays. This is a "you love it or you hate it" thing. The benefit of blue laws are that there's one day a week without much traffic (and in Paramus, which has a lot of malls, this can be a blessing), but it makes life a little less convenient if you want to run your personal errands on a Sunday.

The gas thing is simple. When you pull up to the pump, just hand the attendant your credit card or cash and tell him/her how much and what kind of gas you want (i.e., "fill it up, regular" or "$20, supreme"). You don't tip them. Years ago attendants would ask if you want them to check your oil or clean your windshield, in which case I would offer a tip sometimes. But they rarely do that anymore.

Car insurance is expensive in NJ. The only other thing I'd warn you about is that many of our highways were built in the 1930s-1950s. Things like exit ramps, acceleration lanes, etc. are sometimes sub-standard and inconsistent. For example, an exit ramp built in the 1980s through today would have a nice long acceleration lane at the end, so you can speed up on the end of the ramp to merge into traffic. Ramps built in the 50s might have a stop sign at the end, with no space to merge at full speed. So never expect that the highway you're driving on has modern specs.

Oh, and another Jersey thing is jughandles. On many high-traffic roads, all turns are made from the right. There's no left-turn lane. The purpose of this is to reduce the number of sequences in a traffic light cycle, thereby giving each movement the maximum green time possible. It's a little confusing for newcomers and visitors who aren't used to it.
Jughandle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM

124 posts, read 122,117 times
^^ Paramus is generally single family homes. I do not recommend Paterson to the OP at all... Sorry it is half ghetto. Clifton is better but it's further away from Paramus and not that nice.

Blue laws are awesome... No traffic congestion and day of rest for retail employees. People voted to keep them. If OP really needs Sunday shopping she could go to Upstate NY (sales tax charged though) or Passaic County. Pharmacies, movie theater and food places are still open on Sundays.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,590,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Welcome to NJ...

Paramus is a great town home to 4 major malls and only 8-12 miles from NYC (All closed on Sundays due to blue laws)

For your budget, check into New Milford or Hackensack which borders Paramus.
Hekemian apartments in Hackensack near River Edge border has large 1 bedroom apartments for $1100 or less.
*sniff sniff* - smells like River Edge (since the latest incarnation - NJ Forever - has been banned)

Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM

88,052 posts, read 83,895,248 times
You might find something in Fair Lawn, which neighbors Paramus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey