Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousnowhere View Post
I am planning to get all the electrical work done from the sub contractors,
Is it also cheaper to get the cabinet upgrades from them ??
That depends on how much they're charging for the upgrades. I've seen builders who charge whatever the difference in the cabinets costs are plus their markup (which is expected), and I've seen others who basically take the entire cost of the upgraded cabinets and mark that up. I had a client on a house I built in Las Vegas who refused to pay the upgrade cost for going from maple cabs to cherry. She was able to close with the maple cabs, have a contractor come in and tear them out and re-configure them into built-ins all around the house, and install new cherry cabs all for less than the builder wanted for the "upgrade". That's an extreme case, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM

66 posts, read 387,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbar View Post
I like the Woods, wife likes Montgomery--who do you think will win that battle ? How flexible were they during the price negotiations? When did you reserve?? Thanks and good luck to you as well!

I like the Woods too and a lot of ppl r going for the woods model.We reserved a spot just last weekend. There are a few lots which have 50K off and with the other lots u can try negotiating but they definately r not as generous as the 50K. The cul de sacs have a 25-40 K lot premium .

Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That depends on how much they're charging for the upgrades. I've seen builders who charge whatever the difference in the cabinets costs are plus their markup (which is expected), and I've seen others who basically take the entire cost of the upgraded cabinets and mark that up. I had a client on a house I built in Las Vegas who refused to pay the upgrade cost for going from maple cabs to cherry. She was able to close with the maple cabs, have a contractor come in and tear them out and re-configure them into built-ins all around the house, and install new cherry cabs all for less than the builder wanted for the "upgrade". That's an extreme case, though.

Whaooo. This means there is a huge amount of homework to do before finalizing anything with the sub contractors.Thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate it .

Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM

14 posts, read 72,669 times
I've seen the Stratford. I like the Stradford but I can't wrap my head around the absorbent amount Hallmark Homes is charging for the lot premiums. I think charging $25,000K for a lot that is less than .25 (quarter acre), 10,890 sq.ft., is a lot of money! Even the $40,000K premium lots are at most .25 (half) acre, 21,278 sq. ft.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 40,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancurious View Post
I've seen the Stratford. I like the Stradford but I can't wrap my head around the absorbent amount Hallmark Homes is charging for the lot premiums. I think charging $25,000K for a lot that is less than .25 (quarter acre), 10,890 sq.ft., is a lot of money! Even the $40,000K premium lots are at most .25 (half) acre, 21,278 sq. ft.
Ryan, I totally agree! I can accept the fact that some lots are considered premium due to being bigger and more desirable but charging those type of prices to gain a bit more land is ridiculous. When these lots continue to be vacant next year they will have no choice but to reduce the premium cost or flat out remove it...

Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 AM

Have u guyz noticed that these so called PREMIUM LOTS have side entry garages compulsory and the backyard of the lot behind one lot touches the other , so its not that u pay these huge premiums and get privacy or open space around .

Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 72,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousnowhere View Post
Have u guyz noticed that these so called PREMIUM LOTS have side entry garages compulsory and the backyard of the lot behind one lot touches the other , so its not that u pay these huge premiums and get privacy or open space around .
anonymousnowhere,

Yes, I have noticed the lack of privacy. Considering the amount of the lot premiums, you would think that there would be more privacy. By the by, the side entry garages cost $15,000, way too much money to add a side garage! I believe that Hallmark Homes is a privately owned company because I cannot find their 10K anywhere. I also agree that in order for them to move the properties at Stratford, they are going to have to either, remove the large lot premiums, increase the size of the lots or decrease the amount. It appears that Hallmark Homes is trying to complete the Monroe Manor site first before moving onto the Stratford because I have noticed a price drop in that community.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancurious View Post
anonymousnowhere,

Yes, I have noticed the lack of privacy. Considering the amount of the lot premiums, you would think that there would be more privacy. By the by, the side entry garages cost $15,000, way too much money to add a side garage! I believe that Hallmark Homes is a privately owned company because I cannot find their 10K anywhere. I also agree that in order for them to move the properties at Stratford, they are going to have to either, remove the large lot premiums, increase the size of the lots or decrease the amount. It appears that Hallmark Homes is trying to complete the Monroe Manor site first before moving onto the Stratford because I have noticed a price drop in that community.
Yes Hallmark homes is definately a private company , they told us that . And yeah u r right , they r trying to sell off the Monroe Manor houses first . Do u know what r the price drops for Monroe Manor. We had also seen the homes in MM , though the community is really very charming and much more appealing that Stratford the house plans were really very bad an the concept of court homes were the LEAST appealing.
Another plus point about MM is that they have a swimming pool and cubhouse. I really wanted a swimming pool in the community as it is so convinient than having to drive everyday to some place with a pool.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:20 PM

300 posts, read 913,618 times
I second that, subcontractor prices are outrageous, I am only doing Electrical work and leave the rest for next year. If someone share what they upgraded will help future buyers.

By the way I am excited and kind of worried about market condition, but central jersey seems to held up the house prices.

I went with "woods" model, and I think it is is one of the best model I have seen in $400-$600 houses (seen almost everything that has to be seen in Central Jersey for past 3 years).

I agree with other posts that the lots are cramped together and also it is surrounded by electric line, roads etc. Still the model felt right to me and it fit my needs. I wanted close-knit community instead of "seeing neighbors every Halloween" community, so I wont mind smaller lot sizes. Also I think this side of Monore is best in the town, traffic wise, shopping convinience etc.

Though I dont agree with the other comment. Stratford and Monroe Manor are built/owned by different builders. Except the marketing I dont think there is anything common. And that is the reason discount and incentives are completely off (Monroe Manor seems expensive), though both builders should be good (Stratford builder built Deans Ponds which I consider superb community for entry level single family houses, there is also a nice community in Manalapan by the same builder)

There is another community by Rennaisance Properties (Southfield Estates), I like the estate styling of the community, huge lots etc. but I didn't like their entry level models at all compared to that of Stratford.

I have learned a lot about these communities and if someone is interested PM me and I would be glad to offer more information. Its just too much to type if I had to write down everything. Search for my past posts about other detail if someone is interested.

If you are new/old owner of Stratford I would like to hear from you as that will help us make Stratford a sound decision.

Last edited by practicalposts; 12-25-2007 at 09:31 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM

Yeah if some1 can pl SHARE some info about the prices of the upgrades and what stuff the owner upgraded it would be really appreciated.

What kind of urgrades is worth getting done from the sub contractors.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: