Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 17,220 times

Advertisements

Hi !
We are moving from CA to NJ and we are thinking of moving to Long Valley (Close to my husband's new job , better houses for the money , good schools based on our research). We initially started to look at rentals but looking at the price of rentals we are wondering if we should just buy something small . We plan to live in Long Valley for about 5 years after which we might have to relocate. In that case , how easy /hard is it to rent your house out in case we need to?

Thanks so much for all your help
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 AM

200 posts, read 554,863 times
Just to clarify, if you bought a small house then relocated in a few years, you'd want to hold on to the house and rent it out? Even though you wouldn't be in this area any more?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM

That is right . We might have to relocate for work but at some point choose to come back (If we are not able to we will just sell it at this point)

Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM

200 posts, read 554,863 times
Ok, it's probably going to be a gamble. You never know what the market will be like in 5 years and whether it will be a good renters market or not. I'm not too familiar with LV, so not sure of the market there historically, but if it makes sense to purchase now, then you can always rent or sell depending on the market when the time comes.

Not too much help am I?

Maybe someone else is more familar with LV?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Long Valley is very nice from what I remember of it. An upscale exurban type setting.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
Ok, it's probably going to be a gamble. You never know what the market will be like in 5 years and whether it will be a good renters market or not. I'm not too familiar with LV, so not sure of the market there historically, but if it makes sense to purchase now, then you can always rent or sell depending on the market when the time comes.

Not too much help am I?

Maybe someone else is more familar with LV?

Thanks Yes, would like to hear from current LV residents

Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,559 times
Default I love Long Valley!

I have lived in LV since I was born until just a few months ago (23 years).I loved it!! It was a great place to grow up. So beautiful. It is filled with horse farms and hiking. If you want something with a lot of hustle and bustle, LV isn't for you...I lived in the valley as opposed to on the mountain and would recommend the valley rather than the mountain. They are both great though! I lived close to Califon, which I also suggest looking into

Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana0000 View Post
I have lived in LV since I was born until just a few months ago (23 years).I loved it!! It was a great place to grow up. So beautiful. It is filled with horse farms and hiking. If you want something with a lot of hustle and bustle, LV isn't for you...I lived in the valley as opposed to on the mountain and would recommend the valley rather than the mountain. They are both great though! I lived close to Califon, which I also suggest looking into

Thanks for the tip. We are making a trip down to check the area out in March

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Long Valley is a very large, spread out town. It can easily take 20 minutes to get to the furthest reaches (can be even longer during rush hour and/or when the school buses are out). Where is your husband's job? That should dictate where in the town you should focus your search ("the valley" -vs- "the mountain"). I can tell you where to look based on his job.

I've lived here 16+ years. I enjoy it very much, people are kind and friendly. There is a strong sense of community. Schools are very good. Your money will easily go further here than just about anywhere in Morris County.

I can't begin to wonder what the rental market will be in 5 years. In general, it's a family community and the rental market is not big. Hate to say, but the biggest renters are recent divorcees, and to a lesser extent, people like your family. A lot of divorcees go to Hastings Square, which is a patio home development which straddles the border of Hackettstown.

If you like nature, views and a good family community, it doesn't get much better. If you are looking for a walkable area, this is definitely not it. You have to drive just about anywhere which to me is the biggest downside to the area.

When you search, note that LV can have one of 6? zip codes: LV, Schooley's Mtn, Califon, Hackettstown, Port Murray, Chester. Instead of saying Long Valley, look for Washington Township, Morris County - that should bring up all properties regardless of zip code.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey