U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM

3,984 posts, read 6,048,870 times

Advertisements

NJ.com had a poll of what people call it. Most say Mischief Night. But in northern Bergen we always called it Goosey Night. We stocked up on eggs which could be stored in a shed since it was cold back then, shaving cream & toilet paper. Then we gathered in little gangs and bombed neighbors we didn't like, random houses & cars, a cop car if you were brave and each other at the end of the night. We ran from the cops who chased us half-heartedly.

Now nobody in my central NJ 'hood goes out on this night. It was something we little JD's looked forward to as much as Halloween itself.

It's a Jersey thing: N.J. may be the only state to call tonight 'mischief night' | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 PM

685 posts, read 727,653 times
They call it "Devil Night" in Detroit; fires are started and buildings burned down. Joisey, even the back in the day variety, is rather tame in comparison. Nowadays the stores won't sell eggs, toilet paper, and shaving cream to anyone under 18 in the days leading up to October 30. No point crouching in the bushes with my garden hose at the ready if the local "yoots" aren't going to make a move

Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM

58,730 posts, read 56,562,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
NJ.com had a poll of what people call it. Most say Mischief Night. But in northern Bergen we always called it Goosey Night. We stocked up on eggs which could be stored in a shed since it was cold back then, shaving cream & toilet paper. Then we gathered in little gangs and bombed neighbors we didn't like, random houses & cars, a cop car if you were brave and each other at the end of the night. We ran from the cops who chased us half-heartedly.

Now nobody in my central NJ 'hood goes out on this night. It was something we little JD's looked forward to as much as Halloween itself.

It's a Jersey thing: N.J. may be the only state to call tonight 'mischief night' | NJ.com
Yes! It was Goosey Night in Midland Park. We did the same things as you. One year we had hooded sweatshirt pockets full of eggs and the cops reached out and squeezed our pockets and broke the eggs. What a mess. Lol.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,611,350 times
Goosey night? That's a new one to me. All I can picture is this...

Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM

14,867 posts, read 17,933,680 times
When I was a kid, in Bayonne, in the '50s, the concept of Mischief Night was an unknown--at least in my neighborhood. In fact, I never heard of this phenomenon until I began working in Central NJ, in 1970.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I was a kid, in Bayonne, in the '50s, the concept of Mischief Night was an unknown--at least in my neighborhood. In fact, I never heard of this phenomenon until I began working in Central NJ, in 1970.

It was a big deal in Bayonne when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 AM

14,867 posts, read 17,933,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It was a big deal in Bayonne when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's.
The passage of time may account for that difference, or it may have to do with the fact that I lived in St. Henry's Parish, and you probably lived in St. Mary's Parish.
The town itself has always had an insular nature, but years ago, each neighborhood/parish in Bayonne was a little island unto itself in many ways.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 67,764 times
Goosey night FTW!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM

873 posts, read 973,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

If present me caught the past me on one of these nights, I'd sklin me alive.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,048,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes! It was Goosey Night in Midland Park. We did the same things as you. One year we had hooded sweatshirt pockets full of eggs and the cops reached out and squeezed our pockets and broke the eggs. What a mess. Lol.
Same thing happened to us. An undercover rolled up with his lights off and he smashed all our pockets with a nightstick.

Another year 5 of us bombed one house and the owner jumped out of the bushes and snagged a kid and took him in the house. Cops came & told him that it was like kidnapping & if he didn't want trouble he'd better let him go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey