U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 PM

32 posts, read 104,301 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a move to Tenafly. If our moving is largely motivated by the school system, I think it behooves us to visit the schools. How does one go about doing this (other than just calling and asking for a tour)? Anyone done this and have any words of wisdom to share?

Anyone with children in this school system who would like to share your thoughts, your responses are welcome as well!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,920,810 times
Tenafly's high school is rated # 3 in NJ out of hundreds of schools.
https://app.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

Some town's schools will give you a tour prior to you having a lease to prove that you live within their district. Other's will not speak to you prior to having proof that you iive within their district.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,974,858 times
Are your children old enough for school yet? I just have to ask...

Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 PM

382 posts, read 619,276 times
I wasn't too impressed with the school system. Most of my graduating class all went to college but none of us are doing anything (career wise) that couldn't be achieved at "lesser" school system. Just saying...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,974,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
I wasn't too impressed with the school system. Most of my graduating class all went to college but none of us are doing anything (career wise) that couldn't be achieved at "lesser" school system. Just saying...
Likewise, I went to a prestigious school system where people pay big bucks in property taxes and home prices to send their little angels off to get a 5 star education. Granted, the obsession with schools has grown about 10 fold from the time I was in school, and one can even argue that it is getting out of hand. Either way, it didn't help me any. My wife went to school in Hudson County and is doing much better than me in her career, salary, and overall happiness with employment. But you can't tell people this, they don't want to hear it. Hey, it is their money - if they think spending it in that area will make their kids more successful adults then they can be content living with other folks that have the same viewpoint.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM

32 posts, read 104,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Are your children old enough for school yet? I just have to ask...
Yes, we're going to move just in time to start K.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

What do you guys do for a living?

Last edited by HollaGeo; 11-03-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,813,235 times
As to whether there is a method beyond calling and asking for a tour (or calling and asking how to see it generally and then letting them tell you if there are other alternatives), it's unlikely anyone here is going to know. Just call, the worst that can happen is they say no.

As to the school system itself, I went there for several years (although not all the way through K-12) growing up, and would highly recommend it. First off, most of the teachers are (were, I guess, it has been some years now) good educators who care about their students. Second, and I would argue far more importantly, the students care. There is a real culture of academic excellence and achievement among the student body, and the result speaks for itself. As the core drivers of that culture (the fact that most families there moved specifically for the schools and the thriving & education-focused Jewish and Korean communities) haven't changed, I would imagine that it hasn't either.

Beyond the schools Tenafly is a gorgeous town from a physical standpoint, with safe and pleasant streets for kids to walk home on after school and good bus access to the city when they get older. Put simply, it's a good place to grow up.

The one reason I might suggest you look elsewhere is if you are commuting to lower Manhattan. Tenafly has one of the best commutes you can get in a town with excellent schools to Harlem or Midtown since you can effectively cut most of the traffic to the GWB once you know the roads well, but if you or your husband are going to be working on Wall Street it is worth considering Ridgewood instead (unless you are also looking at Tenafly for the Jewish or Korean community, in which case you'll have to weigh your needs against each-other).

The final caution I'd add is more about this board than the town. We have some regulars that have a significant chip on their shoulder against the best performing school districts and tend to come out of the woodworks whenever a thread on Tenafly, Ridgewood, or northern Bergen County in general comes up. HollaGeo is among them and Goodschoolols is pretty much the poster-boy (although you could probably tell that from user name there); take nonspecific negativity with a grain of salt. Granted I'm not completely unbiased myself -- I grew up there, had a good experience, and have benefited from the strong education I received both at Tenafly and elsewhere.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

I grew up in Tenafly and graduated from T.H.S. I didn't make a biased comment. It was a comment based on reality.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,813,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
I grew up in Tenafly and graduated from T.H.S. I didn't make a biased comment. It was a comment based on reality.
Look, no intent to offend, however:

1. I distinctly remember you arguing against the value of a strong school system in at least one thread on Bergen County (correct me if I'm wrong) and again here. That said, I would have been more diplomatic in my wording if I wasn't lumping in goodschoolols as well (and less diplomatic if it was just him, frankly).

2. I don't disagree with you that not everyone makes full use of the education and that it's possible to achieve anything you could coming from Tenafly coming from anywhere else as well. That's true; heck I know several people who graduated from Ivy and Ivy-caliber universities who aren't doing much career-wise (and vice-versa massively successful people who never even went to college). However, the fact that these people exist is not an indictment of the value of going to Harvard et al. Education gives you a basic skill-set to work with, and the average student will get a better skill set coming out of Tenafly than any of the other local public school systems in the area.

If you don't believe in the value of a strong education that's fine (not exactly sure how you came out of Tenafly thinking that, but you are welcome to your opinion), but to steer someone away from seeking one for their kids who disagrees with you on that because there exist some alumni who don't utilize it - as there exist from every educational institution - is a public disservice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey