Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 25,287 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I am a single woman in her 40's looking to relocate to NYC area. At this stage, I think its best for my budget and an easier move to head to Jersey City or Edgewater area (Fort Lee) or Weehawkin. I did consider Stamford, CT but its a bit far from Manhattan. Brooklyn seems too expensive.
I want to be where other single professionals in their 40's & 50's are. (If there is such a thing ) Not interested in Hoboken party scene. More interested in being around like-minded people. (Educated, some culture, book store, coffee shop, clean & relatively safe.) I know the culture is in Manhattan but would like a decent town to live in. A studio or 1 bdrm condo with a great NYC view, on or near waterfront, reasonable price? But instead of focus on price, I'd rather hear about what town is best for my other criteria. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks!! Suzanne

Last edited by Suzanne822; 11-03-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
You'll need to answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Quote:
A studio or 1 bdrm condo with a great NYC view, on or near waterfront, reasonable price?
Probably not, unless you have an expansive view of "reasonable".

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 PM

What do you mean I need to answer sticky. I am a newbee here and feel my post isn't posted right?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Regarding price, pls. don't worry about that. Lets just focus on my criteria, Many Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne822 View Post
Greetings! I am a single woman in her 40's looking to relocate to NYC area. At this stage, I think its best for my budget and an easier move to head to Jersey City or Edgewater area (Fort Lee) or Weehawkin. I did consider Stamford, CT but its a bit far from Manhattan. Brooklyn seems too expensive.
I want to be where other single professionals in their 40's & 50's are. (If there is such a thing ) Not interested in Hoboken party scene. More interested in being around like-minded people. (Educated, some culture, book store, coffee shop, clean & relatively safe.) I know the culture is in Manhattan but would like a decent town to live in. A studio or 1 bdrm condo with a great NYC view, on or near waterfront, reasonable price? But instead of focus on price, I'd rather hear about what town is best for my other criteria. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks!! Suzanne
Downtown Jersey City is a great location for your age cohort. The access to Manhattan can't be beat, plus downtown JC is developing a nice food scene. You should go to one of the wine tastings at Satis Bistro (Events | Satis Bistro) and you will get a good sense of the dynamic in the area. Edgewater is largely families and not really walkable and I would say the same about Weehawken. The reason I like downtown JC is that it is truly walkable, great linkages to Manhattan (PATH, Holland Tunnel for car, and the ferry). Also, waterfront walkway and waterfront park under construction (Colgate Park), and of course nice food scene. For someone in their 40's and 50's downtown JC is a very solid choice.

All that said, I have heard great things about Montclair so you might want to check that area as well. Oh, and you mentioned view. I have a direct view of the city from Bank of America to the Verazzano. It is breathtaking. BUT, reasonable price is not part of the equation. Cheaper compared to Brooklyn and Manhattan, yes, but reasonable, no.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne822 View Post
Please read and fill this out for more info. Questions For Future and Potential Residents

Even though you mentioned that focus on price...price is going to be factor because reasonable to you may not be reasonable to others. For example, is 3,000 a month reasonable for you for 1bedroom with ok city view? Or is that outrageous?

And rental price between desirable areas/buildings of JC is about 500-1000 more than say Edgewater.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much! Downtown JC it is! I realize the entire metro area is expensive, but I'm sure I will find something that meets my needs. Great feedback.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Great info. Thanks - I'll evaluate the cost.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
If 3k+ a month is not an issue for a studio or 1bed. Downtown JC is probably best choice. You can get an apartment with great view to NYC mainly because it is so close but not only that, hi-rise buildings so you can be high up on the floor and get a nice view. Not many towns right by waterfront have hi-rise rental buildings facing Manhattan. I specifically saying rental because if its condo type deal...it can be harder to find the unit with the right view for you.

All in all, if you want culture, good coffee shops, and bigger town. I think downtown JC is for you for sure. However if you value the view of NYC more. Then 600 harbor blvd in Weehawken is quite nice (its the condo complex built on pier right by the tunnel). Edgewater has similar views too by the water at low level. JC is the only practical one that offer nyc type of view from hi-rise.

While it is not NJ. Look into Long Island City, avalon buildings at hunters point. They face manhattan directly and that's nice area too. Although you'd have to pay NYC income tax should you live in LIC whereas you don't if you lived in NJ. Hmm Roosvelt island in Queens too has great view.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Thank you - great advice. Jersey City, Weehawkin or Long Island City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey