Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM

335 posts, read 973,706 times

Advertisements

Does crime from Plainfield typically spill over into the surrounding towns of Scotch Plains, Fanwood, South Plainfield, Green Brook, Watchung, Edison or even Westfield? I'm considering a home purchase in one of these towns (minus Plainfield) and the proximity to Plainfield is my only concern of these towns from a safety standpoint as I have young children.

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,364,083 times
We lived adjacent to Plainfield in Green Brook years ago and houses on both sides of us were broken into. We moved further away before we were victims. So to answer your question, yes it can and does happen.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM

23,501 posts, read 17,177,892 times
"The amount of land area in Plainfield is 6.0 sq. miles."

"800 known gang members lnown to police'

"Police say gangs have a stranglehold over part of the Queen City, an area sandwiched by a blue-collar town on the west and white-collar suburbs on the east. If unabated, the pace with which people are being killed puts the city of fewer than 50,000 on track to finish the year with about 20 slayings and a homicide rate near 40 per 100,000 people. Last year, Newark had a homicide rate of 31. Camden, one of the deadliest cities in America, had a rate of 46."

Feeling lucky ?

So that's about 133 + gang members per sq mile.

Gangs are the source of violent crimes, gun violence is downstream of drug sales, perceived disrespect and territorial disputes. Business must be good in Plainfield and the surrounding areas. By the way, none of the gangs have a paid subscription to NJ's very strict guns laws. Legislators grandfathered them an exception and a promise not to pass any legislation which would hinder their business and behavior.

Sure, Plainfield is safe. Corey Booker got to be a senator with almost 3 murders a month, so by NJ standards Plainfield is like Winnie the Pooh's hundred acre wood.

law enforcement knows town officials in the most towns and cities in NJ deny the significance of gangs in their towns to downplay frightening prospective residents and visitors. They do no one a favor.

there was a post on Plainfield some time back by a beleaguered resident..... try plainfield gangs

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,409,137 times
Plainfield the city is not safe but the crime doesn't really spill over 22. Not sure about the Union or Middlesex county borders however.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,107,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
Does crime from Plainfield typically spill over into the surrounding towns of Scotch Plains, Fanwood, South Plainfield, Green Brook, Watchung, Edison or even Westfield? I'm considering a home purchase in one of these towns (minus Plainfield) and the proximity to Plainfield is my only concern of these towns from a safety standpoint as I have young children.

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
In general, the answer is not very much. If you live RIGHT on the border, burglaries do happen on occasion. In general, issues don't cross 22 to the mountain.

As a current GB resident, I wouldn't want to live right ON Rock Ave S of 22. East of Jefferson Ave there have been a few burglaries that I know of, but nothing all that common. Oddly (to me) there never seem to be any issues with the developments on West End Ave, Cardinal Lane, etc that border the lower-end apartment complexes that are next door but over the town line.

Watchung stuck their police department right next to 22 basically on the only real road into the town from there (Somerset St) and again, I don't usually hear of many issues there.

I don't know the other towns well enough to have an opinion, but I believe it's similar there. Don't live right on the border, otherwise it's fine.

Both Green Brook and Watchung for example, the main parts of town are very isolated in reality from Plainfield. Green Brook's main development South of 22 is between Cramer and Washington Ave not out by the border. (and with the past 20 years of development, I think more of the population lives North of 22 than South these days). Watchung is setup so there's only one point to get into the town from the South, and there is always a cop there running speed traps and watching.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 AM

23,501 posts, read 17,177,892 times
Some Nj gangs known to police, not sure which gangs work Plainfield

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]"NEW J ERSEY

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]135 Piru

464Piru

793 Bloods

Brick City Brims

Haitian Outlaws

Hoover Crips

Grape Street Crips

G-Shine Bloods

Hells Angels MC

Latin Kings

MS-13

Ă‘etas

Pagans

Trinitarios

Sex Money Murder"
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,021,595 times
Piscataway suffers from a fair amount of spillover from Plainfield, but the areas on the other side of 287 are quite nice. The high school gets a lot of Plainfield kids who claim to live in Piscataway so they can go to a better high school. Overall P-way is pretty decent, but the areas immediately bordering Plainfield have a lot of "hood" attitude and look like hell.

South Plainfield was never a very well-to-do area, but does not seem to be suffering from the same spillover effect. The police dept I know keeps a tight lid on that. It is also a lot smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey