Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM

451 posts, read 769,453 times

Advertisements

I'll admit up front that I'm jumping the gun on this by a ridiculous amount, but I just can't help myself. My husband received a job offer for civilian contract work at McGuire AFB, and we're talking about taking it and moving. We would need pet friendly rental housing, preferably a single family home, but honestly we'll probably have to take whatever we can get that will allow our five cats. Yes, that's five cats. I know it's going to be very difficult to find anything, but I thought I'd reach out to the C-D community to see if anyone knows of anything. Neighborhood doesn't really matter as long as it's within 45 minutes or so from the base and not super scary. We don't have any children, so school systems don't matter. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
I'll admit up front that I'm jumping the gun on this by a ridiculous amount, but I just can't help myself. My husband received a job offer for civilian contract work at McGuire AFB, and we're talking about taking it and moving. We would need pet friendly rental housing, preferably a single family home, but honestly we'll probably have to take whatever we can get that will allow our five cats. Yes, that's five cats. I know it's going to be very difficult to find anything, but I thought I'd reach out to the C-D community to see if anyone knows of anything. Neighborhood doesn't really matter as long as it's within 45 minutes or so from the base and not super scary. We don't have any children, so school systems don't matter. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Five cats are WAY too many.

I have four.

Four years ago I decided to move to the Monmouth County area from north Jersey, where I had lived all my life, because I knew I could afford a condo down here plus there's an ocean nearby.

I needed a place to live while condo-searching, so I didn't want to sign a lease, and I needed an extra bedroom for my daughter when she came home from college, and there were those cats.

Instead of hearing NO WAY from a jillion landlords, I put my own ad on Craigslist that said I needed a two-bedroom apartment with a month-to-month rental agreement while I looked for a condo and that I had four cats. I also included the price I was willing to pay, which maybe was $150 to $100 more than I might have paid for the same size place in the area. I received three responses. One of them was perfect--the landlord also had four cats, he had bought a two-family house, renovated the first floor, and would rent it to me while he lived upstairs and renovated the second floor. It was also in a town with a commuter train, which I needed because I worked in the city. I lived there for nine months and then moved into my condo.

So that's my suggestion. Write out YOUR requirements and mention the pets up front. Then put it out there and realize you might have to pay a bit of a premium. I bet you'll get responses.

Adding: Before I moved and while I was raising my daughter in north Jersey, I rented a three-bedroom house. I had no problem with the cats (I took three of them in "temporarily" to help someone eight years ago) because the landlord was a veterinarian. So, you never know who is out there and would be willing to rent to a cat owner.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-08-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
That is a great suggestion and I never would have thought of it. Thanks very much, Mightyqueen!

(I would give you a rep, but apparently I've already given you one recently and it won't let me give you another.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey