Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM

607 posts, read 957,656 times

Advertisements

On a related topic - all assumptions are that the Dem nominee in 2016 will be Clinton.

Let's assume for a moment she decides not to run, for any reason.

Who is in the "next" group of Dem candidates (or at the very least, who will be challenging Clinton in the primaries)?

And how would any of them stack up against the hypothetical CC nomination?

I have maintained all along that, during the 2016 election season, in the absence of a real strong candidate to step forward in place of Clinton, Democratic eyes will turn to...

Cory Booker

Booker vs. Christie for the White House?

The servers for the city-data site would explode just due to the activity on this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Christie vs. Clinton would be the best thing for the Republican party. Christie would annihilate her.
NBC poll today - Clinton beats His Thighness by 10 pts right now which means nothing so early on.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
one thing I know about democrats is that they worship the ground bill Clinton walks on. Id rather Hillary didn't run in 2016.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing I know about democrats is that they worship the ground bill Clinton walks on. Id rather Hillary didn't run in 2016.
The last Prez that gave us peace, prosperity and a balanced budget.

The Onion also remembers those days:

WASHINGTON, DC–Mere days from assuming the presidency and closing the door on eight years of Bill Clinton, president-elect George W. Bush assured the nation in a televised address Tuesday that "our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over."

My fellow Americans," Bush said, "at long last, we have reached the end of the dark period in American history that will come to be known as the Clinton Era, eight long years characterized by unprecedented economic expansion, a sharp decrease in crime, and sustained peace overseas. The time has come to put all of that behind us."

Bush swore to do "everything in [his] power" to undo the damage wrought by Clinton's two terms in office, including selling off the national parks to developers, going into massive debt to develop expensive and impractical weapons technologies, and passing sweeping budget cuts that drive the mentally ill out of hospitals and onto the street.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

You better believe we're going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration," said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. "Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?"

On the economic side, Bush vowed to bring back economic stagnation by implementing substantial tax cuts, which would lead to a recession, which would necessitate a tax hike, which would lead to a drop in consumer spending, which would lead to layoffs, which would deepen the recession even further.

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
The above text from The Onion is simultaneously amusing and frightening in its accuracy, even if it was a piece of satire. What was possibly more alarming was this actual quote from GWB, in 2004:

"The terrorists never stop thinking of ways to harm our country, and neither do we."

Yikes!
I realize that he was known for poorly-chosen words, but, in a country that had experienced the worst internal attack in its history only a few years prior, this was about as badly-expressed as could be.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-13-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
On a related topic - all assumptions are that the Dem nominee in 2016 will be Clinton.

Let's assume for a moment she decides not to run, for any reason.

Who is in the "next" group of Dem candidates (or at the very least, who will be challenging Clinton in the primaries)?

And how would any of them stack up against the hypothetical CC nomination?

I have maintained all along that, during the 2016 election season, in the absence of a real strong candidate to step forward in place of Clinton, Democratic eyes will turn to...

Cory Booker

Booker vs. Christie for the White House?

The servers for the city-data site would explode just due to the activity on this forum...
very early on, but if Clinton didn't run I wouldn't discount Elizabeth Warren.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The last Prez that gave us peace, prosperity and a balanced budget.

The Onion also remembers those days:

WASHINGTON, DC–Mere days from assuming the presidency and closing the door on eight years of Bill Clinton, president-elect George W. Bush assured the nation in a televised address Tuesday that "our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over."

My fellow Americans," Bush said, "at long last, we have reached the end of the dark period in American history that will come to be known as the Clinton Era, eight long years characterized by unprecedented economic expansion, a sharp decrease in crime, and sustained peace overseas. The time has come to put all of that behind us."

Bush swore to do "everything in [his] power" to undo the damage wrought by Clinton's two terms in office, including selling off the national parks to developers, going into massive debt to develop expensive and impractical weapons technologies, and passing sweeping budget cuts that drive the mentally ill out of hospitals and onto the street.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

You better believe we're going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration," said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. "Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?"

On the economic side, Bush vowed to bring back economic stagnation by implementing substantial tax cuts, which would lead to a recession, which would necessitate a tax hike, which would lead to a drop in consumer spending, which would lead to layoffs, which would deepen the recession even further.

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
this is my favorite Onion article ever.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM

478 posts, read 700,345 times
If he runs Ted Cruz will get the wacko Tea Party nut vote but that's not nearly enough to win....the Republicans and the Tea Party have done much to damage the American economy recently and their 24% approval rating verifies that. I'm sorry but reading a Green Eggs and Ham in Congress doesn't qualify you for the presidency......only a reservation at the nearest nut house. All polls show Hillary beating everyone in 2016 including Christie. On an interesting side note there is a rumor out there that Christie will switch parties and run as Hillarie's VP.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM

593 posts, read 893,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Just because a person acts like a bully doesn't make them a leader. He is a self-serving, greedy, politician, not a leader.

He has done nothing for NJ! Over his term unemployment and taxes remain high in NJ. The whole Sandy thing is a joke, he used a devastating event to promote himself. Every move he makes is for his own self interest.

Christie is scum. If for some reason christie wins, which he won't, look for our country to be divided into the haves and the have-nots. Christie will favor the rich at the peril of the middle class and poor.

Amazing how so many people are fooled by a persona, yet do not look at substance. Sickening really, and fundamentally the reason we favor reality stars and athletes over innovators and scientists. Our world is full of morons that are easily fooled.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The above text from The Onion is simultaneously amusing and frightening in its accuracy, even if it was a piece of satire. What was possibly more alarming was this actual quote from GWB, in 2004:

"The terrorists never stop thinking of ways to harm our country, and neither do we."

Yikes!
I realize that he was known for poorly-chosen words, but, in a country that had experienced the worst internal attack in its history only a few years prior, this was about as badly-expressed as could be.

Or as Colbert put it (about our sucky media) "over the past few yrs you people were so good - over tax cuts, WMD intelligence, the effect of global warming. We Americans didn't want to know and you had the courtesy not to try.to find out. Those were good times...as far as we knew."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey