Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times

Advertisements

New Brunswick is more lively for young ppl than Morristown. It's probably 40-50 mins to Whippany depending on Route 287 traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 AM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhereon View Post
Hi there,

I'm new to City-Data, and I joined because I'd like to get some input from the knowledgeable people on City-Data on where I can look for places to live that have what I'm looking for.

I've been in since May 2013; and so far, I'm not very happy with the Morristown, NJ location which I have chosen to temporarily live. My lease is a year long, so I'd like to get a head start on research some alternative abodes that align more closely with my personality and what I'm looking for.
Over the coming months, I will start making a serious effort on weekends to explore various places east of Morristown west of NYC instead of just hoping Yelp's listings will find the diverse late night eateries and 24 hour cafes in located in NJ that are NOT bars, clubs, or lounges.

I already have a decent idea of where I can find hills, forests, and rivers, parks, and running / hiking trails; NJ is full of those, so that's not too much of a problem. It's the late night options that I'm appalled at. Near where I work, most restaurants and eateries close sometime between 7 pm and 9 pm; definitely the majority close by 10 pm on a weekday. So if I want to grab a snack after work, or if I'm too mentally drained from working to cook dinner, my options are quite limited. Food can be within a 30 minute driving radius, but peaceful busy hangout places are non-existent as far as I can tell. Most late night places I've found are bars, clubs, and lounges, hardly places where I can eat, relax, and pull out a book and read for a few hours.

Constraints:
- Must be in NJ.
- I highly value access to diverse food offerings, 24 hour cafes / study places / bookstores, and outdoors activities.
- A location minimizing the sum of commute times to (1) work, (2) NYC, (3) late night diverse food eateries / 24 hour cafes / study places, (4) outdoors activities (hilly, forested, wooded running trails, parks, soccer fields, squash courts, tennis courts).

Where are you coming from?

DC Metro area, specifically Northern Virginia area, specifically Fairfax, VA.
Currently in west side of Morristown, NJ, about 10 minutes driving distance from The Green (1 hour walk to the train station; 40 minute walk to the closest bus stop).

Why are you moving?

I am dissatisfied with where I currently live.... there is a lack of "amenities" and public transportation options are terrible. Did I mention it's a bit secluded?
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
I currently work in Florham Park, NJ.

Will you buy or rent?

As a young, mobile professional, it seems safer to rent. Also, I'm unable to predict whether I'll still be in the area in 10-15 years.
What is your budget ?
Currently I pay $1300 for rent; in NoVA I paid about $1550 for rent; technically I could afford $2000 a month, but I think that's a foolish amount to pay. I would prefer something $1600 or lower.
What kind of place are you looking for ?
If an apartment complex: parking for a vehicle, decent security layout (card access, good locks and keys, etc), and the following amenities: climate control, cold water, hot water, electricity, internet service provider, natural gas stove. I don't care about pools, gyms, doormen, or "business centers". If the apartment has a few lounges sprinkled through out the complex for guests to use 24/7, that would be nice. If the apartment has a view, that would be nice. No bed bugs, no cockroaches, no pest problems. A municipality offering trash and recycling programs.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
No, I'm a single young professional.
Do you need/want good public schools?
I don't have children, and I don't attend school myself. However, if I am close to a university campus, or a university library, that's totally up my alley.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Safe, young, I don't mind living in single family neighborhoods as long as they are not too secluded. If there are active young communities out there (physically active outdoors, not go to a bar every night active), I would like to know. I would like somewhere that has decent transportation options; in other words, if I choose to take public transit, I won't be required to drive to the public transit node. Some place quaint, diverse, and friendly. Neighborhood similar to Capitol Hill / Eastern Market area in DC would be nice.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
1) Nightlife and Diversity of FOOD:

I'm looking for 24 hr study places, LATE NIGHT cafes / eateries / bookstores where I can talk / hangout with friends or read and study (i.e. places that are open after 10 pm that are NOT bars / clubs / lounges). A place similar to Kramerbooks and Afterwords would be good.

2) Outdoor activities:

I'm a runner; I hate running in urban places and breathing in the exhaust of diesel and petrol vehicles. I like GREEN (woods, forest), and I like water (rivers, creeks). And I LOVE hills. Large parks, trails, soccer fields, tennis courts, squash courts, are all good.

3) Proximity to NYC, Florham Park, and (1) and (2):

Currently it takes me total 1 hour to drive into NYC and find a street parking spot; driving back from NYC takes me 45 minutes. Currently, it takes me 20 minutes to drive to and from work every day. While I'm not opposed to driving, I would like a lower average commute time to NYC, (1), and (2).
I'm guessing that the OP has found a place to move long ago, and I'd be curious to know where. I would have said Hoboken is an obvious choice. Montclair and Rutherford are also options. All are closer to NYC at the expense of being further from Florham Park. Morris County just isn't the place for nightlife - Morristown is as good as it'll get in Morris County.

If you want to know a town with bustling cafes, it's probably Palisades Park and the surrounding Fort Lee/Edgewater areas. Yes - they're heavily Korean. That's why you'll find at least 1-2 cafes every block in Palisades Park along Broad Ave. and a few on Grand Ave (Cafe culture is big in Korea). Many are open late into the night. Just go on Yelp and look up Paris Baguette, Crome, Cafe Leah, Cafe Oak, Jubilee, Kudo Society, Cafe Mocha, Cafe White Creme, Cafe Sheeroo, Caffebene, Koko Loko, Boba Land, etc. You can easily "cafe hop" them all on foot. They're open until late (some even 1 am). There are nice bars/lounges and good restaurants. Mostly Korean, but some of these are becoming fusion-y so you can find pretty good non-korean food (like pasta and burgers) at these establishments - and quite a few are open until 2 AM. It's also increasingly becoming 2nd generation English-speaking Korean and has quietly become a foodie destination so no need to feel too shy. In neighboring Fort Lee, you can find Pho or Korean Oxtail soup 24/7 - or Japanese tapas at 3 am. You can sit down for one of the best Korean barbecue meals in the tri-state at 1:30 AM if you please at Kang Ho Dong on Bergen Blvd. You can find Happy Hours that run til 9 PM where you can get a delicious steamed lobster and dozen clams for about $20 at places like Exit201 (no need to drive all the way to Pub199). Don't get me started on Korean Fried Chicken - you'll find yourself in an oasis of this goodness. There are good Italian options nearby as well and in neighboring areas, and several Ramen houses that rival the best in Manhattan.

King Spa? Heard of it? You haven't done spa right until you try it out. Can't sleep at 10 PM and could use a foot massage? You can find it in the local area.

As for commuting - it's a close drive to NYC - about 3 miles from the GWB with express buses available. For driving, it is close to 95, 80, 4, and 46.

For outdoor activities - it's near Overpeck Park and Palisades Interstate Park, and of course Edgewater. Plenty of hills in town, and it's fairly enjoyable to actually just to walk around town when the weather is nice. It also happens to be next to Fort Lee Hudson Terrace which is the mecca of road biking in the East Coast.

Last edited by bn1; 03-07-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
I'm guessing that the OP has found a place to move long ago, and I'd be curious to know where. I would have said Hoboken is an obvious choice. Montclair and Rutherford are also options. All are closer to NYC at the expense of being further from Florham Park. Morris County just isn't the place for nightlife - Morristown is as good as it'll get in Morris County.

If you want to know a town with bustling cafes, it's probably Palisades Park and the surrounding Fort Lee/Edgewater areas. Yes - they're heavily Korean. That's why you'll find at least 1-2 cafes every block in Palisades Park along Broad Ave. and a few on Grand Ave (Cafe culture is big in Korea). Many are open late into the night. Just go on Yelp and look up Paris Baguette, Crome, Cafe Leah, Cafe Oak, Jubilee, Kudo Society, Cafe Mocha, Cafe White Creme, Cafe Sheeroo, Caffebene, Koko Loko, Boba Land, etc. You can easily "cafe hop" them all on foot. They're open until late (some even 1 am). There are nice bars/lounges and good restaurants. Mostly Korean, but some of these are becoming fusion-y so you can find pretty good non-korean food (like pasta and burgers) at these establishments - and quite a few are open until 2 AM. It's also increasingly becoming 2nd generation English-speaking Korean and has quietly become a foodie destination so no need to feel too shy. In neighboring Fort Lee, you can find Pho or Korean Oxtail soup 24/7 - or Japanese tapas at 3 am. You can sit down for one of the best Korean barbecue meals in the tri-state at 1:30 AM if you please at Kang Ho Dong on Bergen Blvd. You can find Happy Hours that run til 9 PM where you can get a delicious steamed lobster and dozen clams for about $20 at places like Exit201 (no need to drive all the way to Pub199). Don't get me started on Korean Fried Chicken - you'll find yourself in an oasis of this goodness. There are good Italian options nearby as well and in neighboring areas, and several Ramen houses that rival the best in Manhattan.

King Spa? Heard of it? You haven't done spa right until you try it out. Can't sleep at 10 PM and could use a foot massage? You can find it in the local area.

As for commuting - it's a close drive to NYC - about 3 miles from the GWB with express buses available. For driving, it is close to 95, 80, 4, and 46.

For outdoor activities - it's near Overpeck Park and Palisades Interstate Park, and of course Edgewater. Plenty of hills in town, and it's fairly enjoyable to actually just to walk around town when the weather is nice. It also happens to be next to Fort Lee Hudson Terrace which is the mecca of road biking in the East Coast.
Interesting info! Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey