Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 26,759 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Part of my two-family house once had electric and gas (for cooking only) service from PSE&G. After the relative passed on, we kept up the account for many years, though over a year ago the service was shut off (on the one account) by PSE&G due to non-payment.

I'm at a point where I can again afford to pay for service on this account. However, I think it's best I start over with a new account.

Would I be responsible for the previous balance? Can I be refused for a new account, even though my (first) name was not on the unpaid previous account?

Would it help any of the above if I signed up with a different supplier (instead of the standard "BGS", which seems to be another PSE&G company)? I found a few that are a little cheaper, though I'm first concerned about any issues from the old account. How would I sign up for this?

Ever since PSE&G began charging separate supply and delivery charges, the utility bills increased to a point that I honestly feel are unfair and a borderline ripoff. Charging for "delivery"? Do they have to drive a truck to the house to bring over the electric and gas?

Thank you...

Last edited by Not a fan of PSE&G; 11-17-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a fan of PSE&G View Post
Charging for "delivery"? Do they have to drive a truck to the house to bring over the electric and gas?
How do you think it gets to your house? Magic? All the wires and infrastructure between the plants and your house have to be maintained whether you use any electricity or not.

You'll also be paying that portion of the charges regardless of who you use for supply.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM

All true. I realize I was being a little sarcastic, born out of the charges going up (from what I remember) since being split between supply and delivery.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,655 times
if you pay your bills more often maybe you would {remember] what gas and electricity cost??? and not hide in someones name and not pay a dime and make my bills go up because of people like you.it sounds like you want to beat pseg out of the money that would make you a dead beat .

Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Part of my two-family house once had electric and gas (for cooking only) service from PSE&G. After the relative passed on, we kept up the account for many years, though over a year ago the service was shut off (on the one account) by PSE&G due to non-payment.

I'm at a point where I can again afford to pay for service on this account. However, I think it's best I start over with a new account.

Would I be responsible for the previous balance? Can I be refused for a new account, even though my (first) name was not on the unpaid previous account?

Would it help any of the above if I signed up with a different supplier (instead of the standard "BGS", which seems to be another PSE&G company)? I found a few that are a little cheaper, though I'm first concerned about any issues from the old account. How would I sign up for this?

Ever since PSE&G began charging separate supply and delivery charges, the utility bills increased to a point that I honestly feel are unfair and a borderline ripoff. Charging for "delivery"? Do they have to drive a truck to the house to bring over the electric and gas?

Thank you...
Yes, you're responsible for the previous balance.

The fact that you failed to close out your dead relative's account from YEARS ago and open up a new account in your own name, does not change the fact that YOU are the one that was getting gas & electric. I'm not sure why you would feel justified in not settling up on the overdue bill that YOU ran up. You don't get a free pass because you conveniently didn't change the name on the account.

Do you think you'd be justified in using your dead relative's credit cards to charge up a bunch of things online, and then not be responsible for paying off those credit card charges just because the credit card is not in your name?

What you're doing with PSE&G amounts to the same thing.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm not going to lie. I feel PSE&G is ripping us all off. The increase in rates that have followed the split are outrageous in my opinion, and for them to hide behind "BGS" to make thousands of people believe they're not responsible for the default supplier choice is bad form, especially after stating online that they do not supply electricity. Please... Then there's this:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf...es_multim.html

along with not having a choice of delivery service.

You are entirely justified in coming down on me for not wanting to pay this existing balance. I might feel the same about someone else in a different situation. For the record, I've never done what some have noted above regarding credit cards, nor do I have any interest in doing so at all. I truly feel burned by PSE&G, whether my opinion is considered unjustified by others or not. With this service, I have no other choice but to take them in some form if I want electricity or gas, unless I get a generator and/or solar panels. At least I have a choice in credit cards.

I do appreciate you informing me that this is still my balance though. I may leave it off permanently.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM

359 posts, read 1,099,655 times
I may leave it off permanently . means I will not pay my bill, to bad pseg. and yes im a dead beat. tell me how to use my dead aunts credit card???? do you think I can charge 3-4 grand on it???

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you...
Not sure if your liable or not as account was in your dead relatives name.....when you could no longer afford you or whomever took care of dead relatives estate should have had it turned off before an unpaid balance accrued....you would have to check with PSE&G to find out

Old 11-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Thank you Kate.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Thank you Kate.
No problem....and shutting off dead relatives utilities is not as easy as it sounds..been there...done that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey