Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 AM

22 posts, read 34,181 times

Advertisements

Last saturday driving through south brunswick (RT-130) cop pulled myself over and told me i was going over speed limit. He issued "Careless Driving' ticket saying it is 2 points instead of 4 points.

I think i was going with flow of trafffic but rather than worrying about technicality i am more worried abt points. Should i plead non guilty and try to get "deal" for non-points /higher fine "UnSafe Driving" or take 2 points and take online defensive driving class to reduce points to zero??/

If i take points and take "defensive driving" class to remove it, how would insurance would impacted ( in last 7 years this is first time i am getting "point" on traffic violation).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

P.S I am not trying to fight technicality of ticket , i was going over speed limit and i was pulled over ( that's fine it's luck way i see it!!!) . I am more worried about long term remification of ticket on insurance rates and trying to figure out what should be right path !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Wishing NJ had a better option to dispose of a ticket than the ones currently available.
Many will tell you that many insurance companies may not increase your rates for one ticket, or maybe that is one accident?

There are a few forum threads about this around already. Personally I think every once in a while the "revenuers" just sit out there and they have to bag some catch to bring the bacon back into their towns. I saw some of this driving this morning. Going after drivers who do nothing more than change lanes without signalling, etc. Not me but others on the road.

The "unsafe driving" option is expensive, about $485 or so and it still shows up on your driving record and you can only use it about twice in 5 or 10 years, forget the actual details. That's not the greatest deal when you consider it.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM

22 posts, read 34,181 times
Captne76,

You are right, I know "Unsafe driving" is limited option and not only it is not any more 5 or 10 years after NJ legistature change the wording which allow "total 2 time use of it" removing 5 year constraint which essentially means in life time only 2 time you can use that method to get point down.

On another hand, "Defensive driving" option also can buy down points only once a "5 year" .. so that is also kind of "premium option" so in my mind i think like , don't take point and than in worst case scenario if you have to take point than reduce it by defensive driving.

I don't know what is right option though from insurance perspective and hoping few members here would have some experiences to share.

I really appreciate your response!!!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
As I know it there is no 2 time limit on the Unsafe other than the number of years. I know some time back they announced it was only going to be 2 times but I can confirm they let you have more of those as long as you have 5 or 10 years between them.

If you do get 3 of them too close together it backfires and turns to 4 points and the courts want you to know how many you have rather than them looking it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: