Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM

248 posts, read 672,043 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on good locations for day hikes near central jersey?

When I was in NY I used to go to Harriman State Park all the time but that is over an hour away from where I am now (Woodbridge)

I can always google but I won't get the personalized results I can get on C-D.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM

19,047 posts, read 25,148,100 times
The NJ Trails Association is your best source of information:
MapNew Jersey Trails Association

You will find that many of the trails that they list are located in sprawling Franklin Township, which can be accessed from Woodbridge in ~35-40 minutes, via I-287. I use the trail adjoining the Delaware & Raritan Canal several times each week, and I occasionally hike the trails in Six Mile Run State Park, The Negri-Nepote Grassland Preserve, and the Griggstown Grassland Preserve, all of which I can recommend.

Also--Duke Farms, in Hillsborough, has miles of trails for your use:
DukeFarms

If you want to go a bit further, the trails in Lord Stirling Park (in Bernardsville) are extensive and include wildlife viewing blinds:
http://hikenj.net/parks/lord-stirling-park/

Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,432,735 times
Duke Farms is great, not sure of the winter hours, they also have a bike program there too. Free bike rental for the day

Old 12-02-2013, 05:06 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,438,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Any recommendations on good locations for day hikes near central jersey?

When I was in NY I used to go to Harriman State Park all the time but that is over an hour away from where I am now (Woodbridge)

I can always google but I won't get the personalized results I can get on C-D.
This site is great for information on hikes around NJ. NJ Hiking - Hiking in New Jersey and Beyond | NJ trail info, photos, videos, maps, resources, trail blog | njHiking.com

I have found them to be very useful, detailed and accurate. Enjoy!

KoalaNJ

Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM

800 posts, read 1,289,521 times
sourlands in hillsborough
six mile run (stretches across multiple towns in somerset co)

both are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey