Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

It can spiral out of control very quickly (the list grows exponentially as time goes on) and you're getting (hell, you've gotten) to that point. You've been given good suggestions, I like telling the friends that you will give some toys to Toys to Tots or another organization who provides to those less fortunate. Believe me, those kids have tons of crap they will never play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
We don't have kids (yet) but they've bought us something for our house or given us gift cards etc. in the past. It was fine when one of my friends had their first kid (and that was it) but now it's becoming untenable. I'm going to tell them to not get us anything this year and leave it at that.
it's really entirely up to you. it's nice of you to do it, but if i got a gift from everyone of my close friends for my kids, i'd need a storage unit for the toys. i don't even like the quantity of gifts we get from family!

i think it's nice when people do this for the birth of the child, and maybe if you're really close, as in, you're even close to the kids, you buy something for their birthday or give them some money towards college...stuff like that. but other holidays...i'd say def excessive. but it's gift giving...you do what you want.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
For me it really depends on how close I am to them. When I had the money, I would buy for 2 of my friends kids (7 of them) because I view them as my nieces and nephews. They all call me Uncle Rob so they are simply part of my family. We share all holidays with them and Vice Versa.

After the last few years of less and less income, I simply don't have it any more. They still get something small, usually what would be considered a stocking stuffer. The older ones get a $10 gift card of some sort but thats about it. If I still had the money, I would still be buying them nice presents.

The rest of the people I know (big difference between an acquaintance / colleague and a "Friend") might get a holiday card, if I send any, if I remember. Mostly I just send blast text messages the day of wishing them and their familys a happy/merry whatever.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
We do buy for the kids of a couple of our very closest friends. Nothing big, but it's a fun tradition.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
It's got to end, or else you will be doing this forever. Many might say what are you getting out of it, I know that really doesn't matter but spending money you may or may not have could be an issue.
Its like a person that dont get married, your paying for every wedding you attend you buy a gift, but nobody is getting you anything. Why because your not getting married or having kids? People who do these things get rewarded but the ones that don't get nothing but are expected to give over and over, thats fine if you can or want to but what what about those who can't or don't want to?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I disagree and think you should buy them something small for Christmas, especially if you don't have kids.

You don't have to buy for everybody, but young kids of close friends are a yes to me

Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Definitely not. It will spiral out of control to no end. If the friend gives your kid a gift first, just politely thank them and don't reciprocate. Hopefully they take the hint and won't buy another gift next year.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
I think a 1st birthday is good enough, if your like me who has a rather large group of friends that ALL have kids it gets expensive, most of my friends have three kids each. So far I've counted about 22 kids all young too!! So if I were to give a present for all of them even small presents I would have no money to do anything, pay bills, gas, eat. haha..

I'm sure people here have nieces, and nephews probably more then a few, so after buying gifts for them whats left? Do what ever you think you need to do but remember this, who would give presents to your kids if it was the other way around? I'm sure if you had 3 or 5 kids friends wouldn't be so generous, and probably joke (but not really) saying... so is this the last one? lol. I bet it would happen.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I only do this for my best friend's kids in Florida, but we've been friends for 35 years.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
If you're that close I can see how this happened but if you want to stop it...Here's a suggestion on how to break the cycle. I recommend making a donation in the name of each child (it doesn't have to be a lot, they don't even need to know how much)...donate a toy or give to a community organization in each child's name. Give each child a card and identify that a gift was given in their name. That shows you've thought of each of them and can get them thinking about others for the holidays. They may not "get it' now and of course not getting a toy can be a let down but if the parents do the right thing and talk it up they should feel good about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey