Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 AM

3 posts, read 19,974 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Current School Year ends by June 2014. But my current apartment lease ends by Feb, 2014. So I am planning to move to some other apartment which is in different school district, but in the same county and same board of education. And my kids will continue go to the current school till the school year ends.

1) Should I inform the address change to the board of education?
2) If I inform, will the board of education ask us to move the school also for current school year?

thanks
Srinin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 AM

468 posts, read 425,769 times
Do you want your kids to attend the same school in September 2014?

If not, simply don't let the board of education know. At best, just get a P.O. box in the same district.

If you want to them to continue for the next school year, then you have a different set of problems.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinin View Post

I am planning to move to some other apartment which is in different school district, but in the same county and same board of education. And my kids will continue go to the current school till the school year ends.

1) Should I inform the address change to the board of education?
2) If I inform, will the board of education ask us to move the school also for current school year?
Are you SURE that it is the same Board of Education?
A different school district usually means a different BOE.

If you don't inform the school of your new address, they will likely find out anyway, and then you will be billed for the cost of tuition. This varies from town to town, but it is not unusual for non-residents to be billed well over $10k per year for tuition.

If you do inform them, you will be told that your children are no longer entitled to attend that school, and you will likely also be told about tuition charges if you wish to have them continue at that school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post

don't let the board of education know. At best, just get a P.O. box in the same district.
The OP is setting himself/herself up for legal problems by not notifying the school of the new address, and substituting a P.O. Box for the original address will raise suspicions. Most school districts now employ retired police detectives to ferret-out non-residents, and providing a P.O. Box for a new address will almost surely cause the district's personnel to check whether the OP still resides at the original address.

Even if a P.O. Box did not raise red flags, it is very likely that somebody will inform the BOE about your non-residence in the district. Trust me--I have seen it happen numerous times simply because people resent having their tax dollars pay for the education of a non-resident. Even those whom you might perceive as being friends are potential informants.

I would advise the OP to not engage in fraud, which is what he/she would be doing by attempting to have the children continue to attend a school in a district other than where they live.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
We moved from one town in Somerset co. to another town in Somerset co. and we kept our child in the same school but we contacted the town and paid the out of district fee for the balance of the school year.
That's how you do it if you don't want to get fined. Involved a 15 mile round trip twice a day but we thought it was worth it. It was only for about three months.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 AM

468 posts, read 425,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Are you SURE that it is the same Board of Education?
A different school district usually means a different BOE.

If you don't inform the school of your new address, they will likely find out anyway, and then you will be billed for the cost of tuition. This varies from town to town, but it is not unusual for non-residents to be billed well over $10k per year for tuition.

If you do inform them, you will be told that your children are no longer entitled to attend that school, and you will likely also be told about tuition charges if you wish to have them continue at that school.

The OP is setting himself/herself up for legal problems by not notifying the school of the new address, and substituting a P.O. Box for the original address will raise suspicions. Most school districts now employ retired police detectives to ferret-out non-residents, and providing a P.O. Box for a new address will almost surely cause the district's personnel to check whether the OP still resides at the original address.

Even if a P.O. Box did not raise red flags, it is very likely that somebody will inform the BOE about your non-residence in the district. Trust me--I have seen it happen numerous times simply because people resent having their tax dollars pay for the education of a non-resident. Even those whom you might perceive as being friends are potential informants.

I would advise the OP to not engage in fraud, which is what he/she would be doing by attempting to have the children continue to attend a school in a district other than where they live.

I experienced this from unfortunate circumstances. When I was a Junior in HS in Somerset (Franklin), my family's home was foreclosed and (due to poor planning) I had to live with brother in North Brunswick until the beginning of my senior year. Luckily they already had a P.O. box where mail was redirected. I continued through the same HS with no problems and went to Rutgers.

Now, I'm not saying that the OP won't run into any problems, I'm just giving my first hand experience of moving and continuing at the same HS.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 19,974 times
Thanks a lot for all of your replies.
From September, 2014, my kids will attend to a different school in Edison. I am moving within the Edison town itself, that means current apartment and future apartment both are in Edison. Should I still pay tuition fee? Should I pay tuition fee even if move in April,2014? How much it is going to be per month?

thanks

Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
You need to discuss the situation with the proper authorities at the current school. As others have mentioned you could potentially end up being billed for the "tuition" when the school finds out you've moved.

Are you sure that the new apartment is within a different school district? If so, why can't the kids start at the other school as soon as you move? Better to be honest about it than telling the kids that they have to lie to everyone for the next few months.

I think that the school could even charge you retroactivally if they find out at a later date.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
I think confusion here is that Edison is a very large district, so moving within the school district could involve changing schools, but not districts (perhaps OP means neighborhoods or bus routes). There are two high schools, 4 middle schools and numerous elementary buildings. S/he should probably contact the school authorities and ask/request if the children can remain in their school for the remainder of the year, as long as parent provides transportation.

If they say no, then changing schools within the district should not be a problem; the children will make friends easily, records will just be updated and they'll be assigned to the building nearest their new residence. If you can provide justification as to why you want your child to remain in the same school (continuity, trouble adjusting to new environments, a change in family structure that might impact further disruption in their lives, having an IEP that is working in this school setting) you may be able to provide substantial rationale as to why you want the child to remain in their current building.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
I think confusion here is that Edison is a very large district, so moving within the school district could involve changing schools, but not districts (perhaps OP means neighborhoods or bus routes). There are two high schools, 4 middle schools and numerous elementary buildings. S/he should probably contact the school authorities and ask/request if the children can remain in their school for the remainder of the year, as long as parent provides transportation.

If they say no, then changing schools within the district should not be a problem; the children will make friends easily, records will just be updated and they'll be assigned to the building nearest their new residence. If you can provide justification as to why you want your child to remain in the same school (continuity, trouble adjusting to new environments, a change in family structure that might impact further disruption in their lives, having an IEP that is working in this school setting) you may be able to provide substantial rationale as to why you want the child to remain in their current building.
Teachbeach is correct.
The confusion for me and almost everyone else who responded was caused by the OP's use of the word, "district".

All schools in Edison lie within the same district, but they all have different catchment areas.
In order to stabilize/equalize enrollment, each school building has a specific neighborhood/catchment area from which it draws students. This is also done for the ease of transporting students.

So...the OP needs to be honest and forthright regarding the change in residence w/in the district.
IF he/she can present a compelling argument as to why the child(ren) should be allowed to remain in their current school, it is possible that this will be allowed, but a "compelling" argument does not include trivialities such as, "he/she has friends in the current school", or, "he/she likes his/her current teacher", or something else of a non-substantive nature.

However, the OP also has to be aware that, if permission is granted for his/her child(ren) to attend a district school outside of the correct catchment area, transportation will be the responsibility of the parent. The district is not about to run special bus routes for children who attend a school other than the one that they are supposed to attend. However, that rule does not apply to Special Education students. If the OP's child is classified as having a learning problem or an emotional problem, it is not unusual for special transportation to be provided.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-17-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 08:02 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,244 times
Edison is split into 2 districts, North and South. Each district has several elementary and middle schools that a student can attend based on home address. Each district has their own single HighSchool.

Having said that, if you are not changing district, but simply moving within the same district, AND the kids are in elementary or middle school, they should be allowed to finish out the year but the next school year they will have to go to whatever school they are zoned for.

If you are moving from north to south (or vice versa) then you should contact the Board of Education in your existing district and let them know your plans. They can then explain your options.

When I moved from one section to the other (in the same district) All I had to do was to provide transportation and my boys were allowed to stay in the same school for the remainder of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: