Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
I hear you....and maybe you are right about the looks but I have had a completely different experience.

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy---when people project. I live in Millburn and I go to that mall all the time. Let me tell you, more often than not, I go there in sweats and looking like the opposite of a million dollars. NO ONE has ever looked at me funny....but then again, maybe it's because I know I belong here and don't give it a second thought. You can always tell the people who are not from the Short Hills/Millburn/Chatham etc area because they go to the mall all dressed up as though they are trying to map an impression. It's a mall, not a disco--but whatever floats people's boat is fine with me. I just hate when people project their own insecurities and make accusations based on their perceptions vs actual reality. Most people who are regulars to the mall due to proximity just think of it as a mall and not any sort of a mecca and we go there all the time dressed however the day finds us.
I agree. When I go, I just wear whatever I happen to be wearing at the time. Sweats, jeans, whatever. I don't even give it a second thought, and I never feel like I am being looked down upon. As with everything, it is all in how you carry yourself. When I was a kid, it was still a nice mall, but a lot less "fancy". It was an out door mall at the time. They put a roof on it when I was around 10 or 11 years old.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,618 times
This whole situation is pathetic. I cant stand the fact normal everyday people have to fear for their lives because of animals around us. It just does not make sense to me. The animals got nothing out of this senseless murder. Did they really think they were going to get away with the car and make a profit off it? The one thing I keep coming back to is the breakdown of the family structure in our country and the lack of people being honest about it. We pussyfoot around that fact that so many young kids grow up with nothing at home. We are pathetic and these animals are even worse.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my home is not my castle.
OK, then, in your case, your home is your trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I was living in Newark,making 85,000/yr ... couldn't afford to live anywhere else in Nj
There are plenty of decent places near Newark where you could have afforded to live.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-17-2013 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
cars are stolen regularly at the SHM? this is the first i've heard in my 9 years living in NJ, though only the past 4 have been living right near the mall
MV thefts are low, in a town of 20,000 people: 10 in 2009, 12 in 2010, 26 in 2011:
Millburn Criminal Arrest Records - Instant Checkmate Background Checks
Millburn, NJ Crime and Crime Rate
Haven't seen any data for 2012 or 2013:
http://www.njsp.org/info/stats.html

Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
sure, that's possible...but i don't see how one gets to that conclusion. So, after the assailants shot him, they decided to not shoot her? that was the successful defense? C'mon - carjackings usually result in a car being stolen, the criminals rarely want to deal with a potential murder charge. when a gun is pointed at you, do the right thing and don't try to be a hero, it doesn't end well.

but yeah, crime like this (car jackings, not a murder), has been spilling over from Newark for ages. I'm amazed someone was brazen enough to do it in a mall parking garage though - that's a difficult escape route...
The latest reports I've seen claim that he WAS shot defending her. You have a hard time seeing that situation, that they wouldn't shoot her and only him, because you're a likely normal, rational person and cannot make sense of such an act. I've been there, believe me, I question stuff like this all the time when I see stories in the news - mass shootings ending in suicide, a parent killing their child, a violent rape, etc, I could go on forever. It's best to not wonder why people like these animals do what they do and why because as someone who would never do such a thing, I can never understand it. Might as well quit while I'm ahead.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
This whole situation is pathetic. I cant stand the fact normal everyday people have to fear for their lives because of animals around us. It just does not make sense to me. The animals got nothing out of this senseless murder. Did they really think they were going to get away with the car and make a profit off it?
It will probably make sense when the perpetrators are caught. One possibility is that they were relatively inexperienced carjackers who panicked when the victim resisted. The choice of location and victim as well as the decision to shoot are signs of poor judgement. Abandoning the SUV could be an indication of desperation.

Remember the Chershire CT home invasion, and the Medford LI pharmacy mass murder? Initial public reaction was how someone could do something so despicable. After the suspects were caught and investigated, it became clear that the murders were committed by petty criminals who over-reached beyond their abilities and lost control of the situation.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 AM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
It's also entirely possible that is was the thugs that overreacted, and shot him in a panic when he unexpectedly fought back.

None of us knows what truly happened.

But all of us here hope the guys are captured and punished to the fullest extent possible

Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It will probably make sense when the perpetrators are caught. One possibility is that they were relatively inexperienced carjackers who panicked when the victim resisted. The choice of location and victim as well as the decision to shoot are signs of poor judgement. Abandoning the SUV could be an indication of desperation.
FHD -

I did not see your comment before I posted - I feel much the same way...

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 AM

396 posts, read 707,965 times
My own personal opinion is that the perps actually knew what they were doing. Hear me out.

I park in that section of the mall EVERY SINGLE TIME I go. Why? It's about as remote as it gets and it is easy to get out of there. It doesn't seem that way, but it really is...... I'll explain:

First of all, the third floor outside of Nordstrom is open air and people just never want to park up there so it's easier to find a spot, but also dark. The outdoor lights are always busted, but even when they are not, it's darker up there than inside. Beyond that, even though it's on the third floor, it's a quick two floor drive down. I could easily be out of there in two minutes---just straight down the ramp and again, as it's not the most used ramp, I never encounter traffic. By contrast, the rest of the mall is a bit of a nightmare for parking. Circling around the mall alone is a huge time waster and every parking lot is usually full.

The other aspect is that it's an easy on/off to Rt. 24 from that ramp than any other lot in that mall. Again, it's the reason I park there because I can get in and out fast. You come down the ramp, pass two stop signs that are rarely necessary anyway and make a left, go about 200 yards, and volila, you are on 24.

In terms of choosing that mall, there have been carjackings there before. It's full of nice cars and idiots like me that think we are safe. I did have a situation once there where two scary dudes were hanging outside looking as though they were scoping the place out so maybe I am not that much of an idiot as I immediately went inside, waited to go back out with a crowd and did so talking loudly on my phone, keys in hand. In other words, there is a history at this mall that had me on my guard at least once before.

I think what they likely did not count on was murdering someone......and had they not, this would not have been newsworthy as it happened a few times. In fact, I think last year someone was badly beaten in the parking lot and of course, we have that incident in Millburn proper.

Something really needs to be done to protect Short Hills/Millburn.....

....and I have to add, I think the township residents just adopted over 500 kids from Newark for the holidays. In fact, they worked with DYFS to provide the ENTIRE SANTA WISHLIST for each child. You should have seen the volume of black garbage bags full of toys, including bikes etc, that left in a special truck. Don't get me wrong--I am not saying that makes us saints, but I am saddened that so much generosity does go unnoticed. I know people that spent over $400 per kid in gifts. Bikes, suitcases, clothes, toys, etc..... Of course, the greater problem is that one of poverty and that's nothing something we can solve here.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 AM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Statement from the uncle of the wife---very impressive.

"I'm just worn out. This day was one of the most difficult days of my life. So totally senseless. So totally devastating. So very sad. I'm not mad, I'm numb. Maybe in a few days, weeks or months, I'll get mad. What I do I want? I want the punks responsible to pay. I want them to die. I want them to get what they gave. I don't want to hear about gun laws, that dilutes this atrocity. I don't want to hear about how difficult they had it growing up, that dilutes the selfishness of their crime. And I don't want to hear how we need to show them compassion, that dilutes the fact that they committed MURDER. Murder that PERMANENTLY ended the life of my nephew, a sweet, soft, loving, giving, smart and talented Individual. Murder that has devastated my niece, made her a widow, and murder that has PERMANENTLY scarred my family."
Very well said, straight from the heart and who could possibly take issue with his thoughts on the matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey