Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
like what?
Things like this. Discussing race without taboos

Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It doesn't matter because, in spite of popular belief, being in the majority is not what gives you power anyway. At least not in a free, non-violent non-regime. This country has a history of trying to oppress Italians, Irish, Jews, etc and even though they were in the minority, they have managed to come out on top anyway. Suddenly becoming a majority or minority is not going to change anyone's life in any way.
Really? Spoken like a "we're all magically even now" white guy. Of course whites status as top dog all the way up to the changes in the 1960s was never-ever questioned. Even poor white ethnics eventually got accepted based on their skin color. What was the old, mostly true joke? What do you call a black doctor who graduated with honors from Harvard? An N-word.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Oh no, whites status as top dog all the way up to the changes in the 1960s was never-ever questioned. Even poor white ethnics eventually got accepted based on their skin color.
Yup. Ultimately, Irish, Italians and (most) Jews were considered just another set of white folks.

Quote:
What was the old, mostly true joke? What do you call a black doctor who graduated with honors from Harvard? An N-word.
I told my sons that joke a few weeks ago. Just to underline to them that things have not changed all that much since that joke was first heard a century ago.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I see a guy who claimed that a non-white or woman would never get hired without affirmative action. I see a person who is full of it.
That is a complete misrepresentation of the post you quoted.

If you have to make straw men to try to prove your point it is a weak point indeed.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:03 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Really? Spoken like a "we're all magically even now" white guy. Of course whites status as top dog all the way up to the changes in the 1960s was never-ever questioned. Even poor white ethnics eventually got accepted based on their skin color. What was the old, mostly true joke? What do you call a black doctor who graduated with honors from Harvard? An N-word.
Being Jewish (at least culturally), I am not considered "white" by a lot of white people. In fact, I am part of one of the smaller minorities in the world. My ancestors have been oppressed throughout history. To this day, there is still a lot of anti-Semites all over the world, yet, somehow I don't feel like "my people" are powerless, by any stretch of the imagination. If you think that somehow becoming part of a majority is suddenly going to give you any real type of power, you are kidding yourself. You don't need a majority to have power. You just need education and the money that goes along with it.
Besides, I think (at least I hope) we are coming to an age where none of this "grouping" stuff is going to matter anymore. We are not tribes anymore.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's what you see. What I said was that some people would never hire nonwhites. I didn't talk about women, as white women as others have been discriminated against BUT are also the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action.
come on man, why do people just think they can re-write history whenever it suits them.

Quote:
And if you don't you will assure that those not white and male will never get hired.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That is a complete misrepresentation of the post you quoted.

If you have to make straw men to try to prove your point it is a weak point indeed.
really?

Quote:
And if you don't you will assure that those not white and male will never get hired.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Being Jewish (at least culturally), I am not considered "white" by a lot of white people. In fact, I am part of one of the smaller minorities in the world. My ancestors have been oppressed throughout history. To this day, there is still a lot of anti-Semites all over the world, yet, somehow I don't feel like "my people" are powerless, by any stretch of the imagination. If you think that somehow becoming part of a majority is suddenly going to give you any real type of power, you are kidding yourself. You don't need a majority to have power. You just need education and the money that goes along with it.
Besides, I think (at least I hope) we are coming to an age where none of this "grouping" stuff is going to matter anymore. We are not tribes anymore.
While all that is true about Jews. Your grandfather could've passed for "white" or gentile - if you like - simply by changing his name. Look at the Jewish actors & comedians back in the day. Something that Shaquille O'Neal's granddad couldn't do. There have been many historical advantages to being the right color in America. Even if you or yours didn't explicitly benefit.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
While all that is true about Jews. Your grandfather could've passed for "white" or gentile - if you like - simply by changing his name. Look at the Jewish actors & comedians back in the day. Something that Shaquille O'Neal's granddad couldn't do. There have been many historical advantages to being the right color in America. Even if you or yours didn't explicitly benefit.
Or mine.............though he too had Jewish background.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Very few Jews hid their Jewishness. It's just something you don't do in my culture. If it were that simple, they wouldn't have been so easy to target in the Holocaust, Inquisition, Expulsion from Russia, etc, etc. Sure, a few entertainers did it back in the day, but they were in the minority of Jews. Even a lot of non-Jews changed their names in entertainment. Sometimes to sound "cooler", other times to be less "ethnic". Either way, it is a very tiny part of the population.

Goldwyn and Mayer (Metro Goldwyn Mayer, AKA MGM Studios), Warner Brothers, Goldman & Sachs, and I can name many more, all had very Jewish sounding names, yet even back then, they still made it. And I can assure you that most white people back then didn't consider them to be "white".

And I am not trying to draw comparisons between any races or ethnicities here. I don't believe in grouping people together like that. The point I am trying to make is that Minority/Majority status does not guarantee anyone power, or lack of it.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-23-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey