Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Look for rental apartments in society hill. North Brunswick is mostly independent family homes (though that's quickly changing after the pristine woods were recently cut down for construction of luxury condominiums ). If you are intent on apartments, I would look into highland park. Additionally, you can save a couple miles on your ride to Staten Island. I would avoid South Brunswick though since its too sprawled out for your wants and is more inclined towards middle aged men with family and kids.
North Brunswick is mostly condos, town homes and apartment complexes. There are groups of single family homes (Hidden Lake is one...while condos and TH's are included), and if you count the single family homes behind the Rt. 1 Barnes & Noble strip mall....those are mostly rentals, as are any others bordering Rt. 1 (as in right off the HWY). And the rest border New Brunswick (around Livingston Ave) and no one goes out of their way to live there.

Why do you keep trying to pretend North Brunswick is more than it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
$800 is tough, just moved up to Jersey from Savannah Ga... For a decent place 1 bedroom in central Jersey you are looking at $1100 to $1500. You can go further south and get more money in the middle between 287 and Princeton but you are in the ex-burbs with not a lot of night life. The closer you get to Princeton the more expensive it gets again. Also some parts of New Brunswick are kinda rough.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Ppl move OUT of Staten Island to Middlesex & Monmouth, not the other way around. 1/4 of SI is literally a garbage dump. You're not considered a real New Yorker by anyone. More like a country bumpkin cousin.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
I think, if I were in your shoes, I would interview a couple of the ads on Craig's List and see if you could get something (bedroom/bath in an house or shared living) for 3-6 months and look for housing, check out areas to live, or possibly decide that you like where you are and continue the lease. Coming from Chicago, you'll be okay with traffic and aggressive drivers..and the hurry up to wait, long lines. You also won't pump your own gas in NJ. One of the two states in the country where service station attendants MUST pump your gas for you.

There are some areas of New Brunswick that are sketchy, but many of the areas near the college or St. Peter's hospital and out towards the New Brunswick/North Brunswick border would be fine. North Brunswick has a glut of apartment complexes, but they aren't going to be $800 a month for one person. You might be able to find an efficiency in someone's home, or basement/in-law type of setting.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
North Brunswick is mostly condos, town homes and apartment complexes. There are groups of single family homes (Hidden Lake is one...while condos and TH's are included), and if you count the single family homes behind the Rt. 1 Barnes & Noble strip mall....those are mostly rentals, as are any others bordering Rt. 1 (as in right off the HWY). And the rest border New Brunswick (around Livingston Ave) and no one goes out of their way to live there.

Why do you keep trying to pretend North Brunswick is more than it is?
You entirely omitted the Farrington lake area, Region along route 27 between Cozzens and Finnegans, The Renissance, and homes along Adams lane (Where we live). These regions are mostly single family homes and cover a large area. I am not trying pretending here, and I have nothing to pretend. I am just stating my observations after living here. Only along Route 1 & Livingston do you find several apartments, and these regions make up a relatively smaller portion of town.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Commute is not too bad. Route 1 to 440 via outer bridge usually takes 35 minutes. Then again, it all depends where in Staten island you are working and at what time you will be traveling. $ 800 sounds like a very low budget for my area though (unless you mean $800 K for a home). In north Brunswick, the major apartment complex is society hill which is a 5 mile ride from downtown new Brunswick. Regular buses are provided to downtown New Brunswick which has the lively city like feel as its an active college town with several Rutgers students. If at all you have to go to Manhattan, daily bus services are also provided from society hill. I live in North Brunswick and lot of apartment and home construction is taking place here.
The OP isn't working on Staten Island.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
You entirely omitted the Farrington lake area, Region along route 27 between Cozzens and Finnegans, The Renissance, and homes along Adams lane (Where we live). These regions are mostly single family homes and cover a large area. I am not trying pretending here, and I have nothing to pretend. I am just stating my observations after living here. Only along Route 1 & Livingston do you find several apartments, and these regions make up a relatively smaller portion of town.
Don't worry about her. I swear I think that person is an alias of another here who also continues to hate on North Brunswick.

Anyway, North Village apartments behind B&N are beautiful with the gas lamps and stuff, plus they have a pool, but were out of our price range when we were looking a few years ago. Ended up at Briarcrest instead, which is good since it is rent to own. Only problem is it is all electric, including the heat so the electric bill this time of year can be close to $200 per month. It is on Livingston, but by How Ln, just far enough away from all the New Brunswick riff-raff. Further up Livingston near the border it gets pretty dumpy.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP isn't working on Staten Island.
OK, I meant drive. I wrote this after knocking myself out with a fully loaded cheesecake slice topped with mini kisses and caramel syrup before going to sleep. It made me feel a bit high though the taste was divine .

Old 12-20-2013, 02:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
OK, I meant drive. I wrote this after knocking myself out with a fully loaded cheesecake slice topped with mini kisses and caramel syrup before going to sleep. It made me feel a bit high though the taste was divine .
You didn't save me any????

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You didn't save me any????
Oh trust me, there are a couple slices left over .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey