Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,600,312 times

Advertisements

Society made them do it!!!! They all should have been in jail and not on the streets before this happened. Just like the other mutt that threw the lady down the stairs in Milburn a couple of months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM

50,490 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Society made them do it!!!! They all should have been in jail and not on the streets before this happened. Just like the other mutt that threw the lady down the stairs in Milburn a couple of months ago.
There's no room in the jails. They need to stop filling them up with drug users and prostitutes and use them for real criminals.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM

50,490 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Here are four more who failed to pick up a subscription to NJ's latest gun laws.

Laws are for the law abiding and apparently these four were exempted by desire.

Do it again! give me more feel good laws please!

Let's see if the mandatory 3 years is added to a crime with a firearm of if it is pleaded down.

Yep, the push pins in the map representing violent crimes are clustered. Wonder of wonders after all the good work Booker accomplished..... at least if you believed his campaign claims.

Just don't drive your fancy car to that new high end food store that is earmarked to save newark and a sure sign of its recovery.
The fact there is still crime in Newark doesn't mean Booker failed or didn't make improvements in some areas. Real changes will take decades, no one person or party can magically fix Newark, it's unrealistic to expect them to.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM

150 posts, read 381,430 times
Didn't you know?

Newark is and has always been the carjacking capital of the USA...

NJ county notches 450 carjackings as hunt for assailants continues | Fox News

Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The fact there is still crime in Newark doesn't mean Booker failed or didn't make improvements in some areas. Real changes will take decades, no one person or party can magically fix Newark, it's unrealistic to expect them to.
Real change is not coming to Newark until massive urban renewal (or as one prominent African American put it at the time, "negro removal") takes place.

Only way to turn that place and more like it around is to simply wipe the slate clean and start again from the ground up. It's like when a block has a vermin problem, merely exterminating one property will not do as the creatures will simply move to other surroundings. You have to clean up the entire block and make it so they cannot return.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,939,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's more a change in mentality than the city itself. The city is great - when my grandparents grew up there, it was the place to be. You probably realize this, that it's the people, but I wanted to point it out anyway. You can't improve a block or a neighborhood without making improving the people in that area.

The people who live there now for the most part do not have good attitudes, lack values, probably lack education, and make bad decisions. They may come from broken families, a history of violence and crime, and feel like they have little chance at a good life. Crime is probably all they know. Until this is changed, Newark is going to suck. It's un-PC, though, to point out this stuff, so tip-toeing around the real issue isn't going to do anything for Newark. People need to accept that the real problem lies in the people and their mentality, for whatever reasons those mentalities may exist, and God knows how, but fix THAT. It reminds me of the issue of gun violence. Until we deal properly with the mentally ill and stop going after the inanimate object - the gun - mass shootings will always happen. The people are the problem in Newark. Not sure how you fix them but they're the ones that need to be fixed. I'd bet it starts with education - but Newark's schools already get a ton of funding.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'd bet it starts with education - but Newark's schools already get a ton of funding.
it starts with the family unit. but you cant legislate that and these days you aren't even supposed to tell someone that their "family" choices are worse than someone elses.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it starts with the family unit. but you cant legislate that and these days you aren't even supposed to tell someone that their "family" choices are worse than someone elses.
That's what I mean. We're all too worried about offending someone. If it's the truth, I don't care if it's offensive - that's how I go by things.

Reminds me of the stop and frisk practice in NYC that has everyone up in arms. I saw a snippet of an interview with Commissioner Kelly on the news last night where he basically said that neighborhoods with higher crime are made up of a certain demographic which is why this practice was put into effect. And according to him, and the news anchor who claimed crime of some sort (I can't remember) is down in NYC, he is correct. So it seems to be true that crime in certain areas with certain people living within those areas is worse than others. I don't care if it's offensive - it's true. It shouldn't even be offensive if it's true. Just my opinion.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 12-24-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's what I mean. We're all too worried about offending someone. If it's the truth, I don't care if it's offensive - that's how I go by things.

Reminds me of the stop and frisk practice in NYC that has everyone up in arms. I saw a snippet of an interview with Commissioner Kelly on the news last night where he basically said that neighborhoods with higher crime are made up of a certain demographic which is why this practice was put into effect. And according to him, and the news anchor who claimed crime of some sort (I can't remember) is down in NYC, he is correct. So it seems to be true that crime in certain areas with certain people living within those areas is worse than others. I don't care if it's offensive - it's true. It shouldn't even be offensive if it's true. Just my opinion.
how about passing a law that says no public assistance (welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.) for any man and woman that have a child but do not live under the same roof with their child.

or maybe you actively fine men and women that have a child together that don't live together with the child(ren).

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how about passing a law that says no public assistance (welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.) for any man and woman that have a child but do not live under the same roof with their child.

or maybe you actively fine men and women that have a child together that don't live together with the child(ren).
Simply put, we need reform in this country. On a few accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey