Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

My kids want to go to Times Square next Friday, Dec. 27th. We will be driving up the GSP from the Atlantic City area & we are not sure where we should park and take the train. I haven't checked the availability or times as yet. Our one grandchild has been ice-skating for the last 10 yrs. & really would like to skate around the Tree. I told her that it might not be possible. I think I read somewhere yrs. ago that you need reservations.

I know that this may be very short notice for a day trip, and but suggestions are appreciated. Thank you. kelsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
What time do you plan on arriving and leaving? I would definitely recommend the train option. You can likely catch a train from AC but i think you would have to xfer likely in Philly. Might be something to consider to completely avoid driving all together. Otherwise, you could drive to trenton, princeton, metropark and catch the train from any of those stops for example.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Thank you P. I will check into some of those options. We were planing on leaving early in the morning and then coming home after dinner.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
Nice. Check both Nj Transit and Amtrak.

Also note that if its during peak rush hour there is a chance you and the kids may not all get a seat together. So try to plan the train ride during off peak hours. Though i suspect that there will be less people on the train that day due to the holidays.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
If you're driving that much of the route, might be easier to park in Harrison and just take the PATH over.

Also, an alternative for skating is at Bryant Park: Bryant Park | Winter Village

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Hello Everyone:

My kids want to go to Times Square next Friday, Dec. 27th. We will be driving up the GSP from the Atlantic City area & we are not sure where we should park and take the train. I haven't checked the availability or times as yet. Our one grandchild has been ice-skating for the last 10 yrs. & really would like to skate around the Tree. I told her that it might not be possible. I think I read somewhere yrs. ago that you need reservations.

I know that this may be very short notice for a day trip, and but suggestions are appreciated. Thank you. kelsie
This is weird. There was another post somewhere on City-Data this past week that mentioned "skating in Times Square" and a tree. The tree, and the skating, are in Rockefeller Center, not Times Square. And you don't exactly skate "around the tree", but near it. Just trying to help--don't want you going to Times Square and then wandering around looking for an ice rink, lol.

I suggest parking at the lot at Secaucus Junction and taking the train into NY Penn. From there you can walk (it's a bit of a distance, but you're walking through the city so it's fun) or take the E train to 50th or 51st or wherever it lets you off near Rockefeller Center. (Have to look at the subway map.)

The parking lot is off the NJ Turnpike at Exit 15X. The train ride to the city is about ten minutes. You buy the tickets from machines there at the train station.

If you want to drive into the city, I can suggest a parking lot--there's one on 51st Street between Third Avenue and Lexington. It's a few blocks walk, but not too bad, to Rockefeller Center from there. I was there for four or five hours and it was only $18.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Nice. Check both Nj Transit and Amtrak.

Also note that if its during peak rush hour there is a chance you and the kids may not all get a seat together. So try to plan the train ride during off peak hours. Though i suspect that there will be less people on the train that day due to the holidays.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
If you're driving that much of the route, might be easier to park in Harrison and just take the PATH over.

Also, an alternative for skating is at Bryant Park: Bryant Park | Winter Village
http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gifThank you also for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is weird. There was another post somewhere on City-Data this past week that mentioned "skating in Times Square" and a tree. The tree, and the skating, are in Rockefeller Center, not Times Square. And you don't exactly skate "around the tree", but near it. Just trying to help--don't want you going to Times Square and then wandering around looking for an ice rink, lol.Thank goodness that other poster and I aren't driving together, we would wind up in Boston.

I suggest parking at the lot at Secaucus Junction and taking the train into NY Penn. From there you can walk (it's a bit of a distance, but you're walking through the city so it's fun) or take the E train to 50th or 51st or wherever it lets you off near Rockefeller Center. (Have to look at the subway map.)

The parking lot is off the NJ Turnpike at Exit 15X. The train ride to the city is about ten minutes. You buy the tickets from machines there at the train station.

If you want to drive into the city, I can suggest a parking lot--there's one on 51st Street between Third Avenue and Lexington. It's a few blocks walk, but not too bad, to Rockefeller Center from there. I was there for four or five hours and it was only $18.
Thank you, now I am going to check out all these options.

I really appreciate everyone's help and responses. kelsie

Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Hello Everyone:

Traffic coming into Manhattan *may* only be slightly less than normal for a weekday as many people have to work both Thursday and Friday after Christmas. Once in the City you may also find traffic isn't a light as you expected for the holiday again because it seems for many it will be business as usual.

While the tree in RC is nice to see I'd skate at Central Park since it is larger and has a much better view IMHO. Bryant Park rink can also be less congested than RC.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
i'd recommend driving up to metropark and take the train. it's at exit 131 gsp. getting there and back we'll be easy. either pay to park in garage or free street parking. the train one way is 10 per adult and 4.50 per child (11/under).

note: the city is insane with tourists this season, i'd recommend avoiding tourist areas.

skate here: http://www.lakesideprospectpark.com/.

to get there, take q to parkside ave brooklyn

Old 12-21-2013, 10:11 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
i'd recommend driving up to metropark and take the train. it's at exit 131 gsp. getting there and back we'll be easy. either pay to park in garage or free street parking. the train one way is 10 per adult and 4.50 per child (11/under).

note: the city is insane with tourists this season, i'd recommend avoiding tourist areas.

skate here: http://www.lakesideprospectpark.com/.

to get there, take q to parkside ave brooklyn
Well...if they are going specifically to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and skate there--that IS pretty much the No. 1 tourist area at this time of year. Don't see how your advice is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey