Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,825 times

Advertisements

So I just got a new job and am planning on moving to Montclair from my parents' house in Bergen County. I am 23 and will be moving with a friend over the summer (we are both teachers). Where should I begin looking? We want something modern, 2 bed, 2 bath preferably. I would like a place close to downtown so we can walk to restaurants/bars/etc as well as walking distance to a train station into the city. We like to go out in the city on weekends and a place within walking distance would be more than ideal.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGuy3 View Post
So I just got a new job and am planning on moving to Montclair from my parents' house in Bergen County. I am 23 and will be moving with a friend over the summer (we are both teachers). Where should I begin looking? We want something modern, 2 bed, 2 bath preferably. I would like a place close to downtown so we can walk to restaurants/bars/etc as well as walking distance to a train station into the city. We like to go out in the city on weekends and a place within walking distance would be more than ideal.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Are you planning to rent or buy? How much rent can you afford to pay?

This is important because the rent can vary widely in Montclair. Even bad neighborhoods can be expensive.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Yea the above is all relevant info. As far as the location you want to ive. You will ideally want to be in walking distance to Bloomfield ave. That would put you close to most of the restaurants and nightlife and the train station. If not that area, look around upper montclair in the uptown center. Theres a number of bars and restaurants there as well as a midtown direct train. The other area i would look as in the watchung center area. So as you can see, the areas around the trains are the areas that are most walkable with better nightlife.

Having said that, this all depends on your budget. If Montclair is out of your budget (a modern 2bed 2 bath in Montclair might be on a teachers salary), Bloomfield, clifton, west orange and south orange might be suitable alternates in the area with more reasonable pricing that all have decent downtowns, access to the city and are a close drive to Montclair.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Agreed. If I were 23 and living in Montclair, I'd want to be walking distance to the Bloomfield Ave/Park St neighborhood, and also Walnut Street for the train. Just know on the weekends the trains only run up to Bay St.

Modern and Montclair don't really go together - lots of beautiful old homes and buildings here - there's new construction around the Bay St train station, but it puts you at a bit of a farther walk from the rest of town.

I think at 23 I'd find the Watchung Plaza/Upper Montclair neighborhoods a little boring. I'd stick with downtown - most of the best stuff is down there anyway.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
As mentioned, modern will be hard. Updated, maybe. I'd look between Bloomfield and Christopher (NtoS) and Grove and Valley (EtoW). Forest St, Willow, N Fullerton, etc. Last train out is around midnight so I wouldn't count on late night public transportation.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
I think at 23 I'd find the Watchung Plaza/Upper Montclair neighborhoods a little boring. I'd stick with downtown - most of the best stuff is down there anyway.
Even downtown Montclair is a bit boring for a 23-year-old. I think Montclair would be more appealing to an older age group, like 30 and up. Jersey City is more for the early 20s crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey