Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i don't trust the people that promote the flu vaccine. the decision makers are paid for by corporate interests and the others are big government public health a-holes. the flu isn't bad enough to get a yearly vaccine for it.
That is your personal judgement and no one is mandating that you get a shot. For me, I maybe got the flue once every 5-7 years. But it is a miserable week so the 10 minutes it takes me to get a free shot is worth it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think one of my questions would be, "WHAT flu?" There's not one germ that's called "the flu". Viruses constantly mix and reproduce new viruses. How do they know that the one they created the vaccine for is the one that you will come into contact with?

One of my coworkers got the flu shot and a few weeks later got sick as a dog. She didn't get sick from the shot. The shot only gave her immunity from one virus.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think one of my questions would be, "WHAT flu?" There's not one germ that's called "the flu". Viruses constantly mix and reproduce new viruses. How do they know that the one they created the vaccine for is the one that you will come into contact with?

One of my coworkers got the flu shot and a few weeks later got sick as a dog. She didn't get sick from the shot. The shot only gave her immunity from one virus.
From: CDC - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

"The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Traditional flu vaccines (called trivalent vaccines) are made to protect against three flu viruses; an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and an influenza B virus. In addition, this season, there are flu vaccines made to protect against four flu viruses (called “quadrivalent” vaccines). These vaccines protect against the same viruses as the trivalent vaccine as well as an additional B virus."

Also helpful: 13 Flu Myths: Myths About the Flu Vaccine, Treatments, and Prevention

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

"The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Traditional flu vaccines (called trivalent vaccines) are made to protect against three flu viruses; an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and an influenza B virus. In addition, this season, there are flu vaccines made to protect against four flu viruses (called “quadrivalent” vaccines). These vaccines protect against the same viruses as the trivalent vaccine as well as an additional B virus."

Also helpful: 13 Flu Myths: Myths About the Flu Vaccine, Treatments, and Prevention
Good info, thanks!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Great information. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HalfFull

Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
That is your personal judgement and no one is mandating that you get a shot. For me, I maybe got the flue once every 5-7 years. But it is a miserable week so the 10 minutes it takes me to get a free shot is worth it for me.
many of my employees are being mandated to get the shot. my daughter is being mandated to get the shot (if I want to keep her in school). so there are mandates because mandates guarantees a lot of business for flu vaccine sellers. its really horrible that they are forcing my employees to get shots against their will for something that has never been a problem for us in our business. its very apparent that they are not solving a need, so there must be another reason to force this on people.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
many of my employees are being mandated to get the shot. my daughter is being mandated to get the shot (if I want to keep her in school). so there are mandates because mandates guarantees a lot of business for flu vaccine sellers. its really horrible that they are forcing my employees to get shots against their will for something that has never been a problem for us in our business. its very apparent that they are not solving a need, so there must be another reason to force this on people.
OK, I'll take your word on that. I had not heard of anyone being mandated to get the shot. Who exactly is mandating your employees?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
OK, I'll take your word on that. I had not heard of anyone being mandated to get the shot. Who exactly is mandating your employees?
department of health. they were going to mandate it a few years ago and then they decided not to. that was when they tried to push the h1n1 lie and almost succeeded. then of course, anyone paying attention would see that the h1n1 was a big lie in order to push the vaccine. this year, i guess the vaccine companies pushed them again and they went forward with it. when it comes to this mandate, i can see first hand that they are pushing something that wasnt needed.

i recently found out about the daughter thing. i didnt research it, but its being presented by the school as if its some kind of nj government mandate.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
It is common in the healthcare field to be required to get flu shots:

Mandatory flu shots opposed by some health care workers

Mandatory Flu Shots No Big Sting for Hospital Workers

Old 12-29-2013, 01:19 PM

We're not mandated, but they make them available to us at work. I don't know if I missed it for this year.

It occurred to me that maybe I should do it this time because I'm on prednisone and one of the side effects is that it lowers your immunity; as a matter of fact, my white blood cell count was up after the last blood test. And I do that commute with all those germy people on NJ Transit and PATH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey