Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM

32 posts, read 67,891 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We live in Western Essex County. In fact, Caldwell is our town. We have two young sons, 3 and 4 and we're ready to make a move to morris county. I teach in Montville and my husband is a CPA with clients in Morris County. Our budget is about 550k, so even though we would love to get into Chatham or Madison, we realize what that amount of money will get us in those town, so we've accepted they are not within our reach. I've been searching Randolph lately and it seems that you can get a lot of house for the money. I know property taxes are high so maybe that's why. I'm curious why you can get a four bedroom for 500k. I know Randolph has good schools. To be honest, Morris Plains is out for us because the kids would attend Morristown HS.
ARe the home prices is Randolph reasonable because it's considered way out there, if you know what I mean. It seem very nice up Route 10. We don't really venture out of Essex that much. I mean I'm up and down Bloomfield Ave a thousand times a day and if I get on a highway, it's 280. I do go to Target on 10 but we really don't go any further than that because we don't need to. Do they flood out there? My husband wants out of Essex because of the taxes and because it just seems the whole area is in decline. My parents are West Orange people and they watched their town go down the tubes, so we both have this idea that it's best to move to Morris County where its just cleaner and where you get more property for your money.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
One of my personal faves as far as towns is Rockaway Township and surrounding areas.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM

32 posts, read 67,891 times
Why Rockaway? Thx.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
I don't understand what you mean by "cleaner" town. Many Morris County towns are lily white and upscale, but infested with opiates/pills. Just look who is getting arrested in Morris County and in Paterson these days....it's the suburban kids/parents and it's an epidemic. It's all about the parenting with children. The grass isn't always greener in another town. And diversity is beautiful and should be cherished. Happy New Year and good luck with your search.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Do a search for this forum on Randolph. I've made a number of posts as have others. Feel free to DM me if you have questions

Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawm View Post
Why Rockaway? Thx.
For one thing, location. Closer to the work related towns than many towns west of it. Other plusses are a variety of lifestyles from townhouses to independent rural to suburban areas. Lakes, taxes, people,schools etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Sounds like you have a bunch of brats.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
I have friends in Rockaway and I don't find anything appealing about that town. It's a typical suburban mall town with no character. And the traffic along route 80 getting through there is a nightmare at rush hour.

Personally I would stay in Caldwell. Nice town with a nice town center and good schools.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have friends in Rockaway and I don't find anything appealing about that town. It's a typical suburban mall town with no character. And the traffic along route 80 getting through there is a nightmare at rush hour.

Personally I would stay in Caldwell. Nice town with a nice town center and good schools.
That's like saying Short Hills is a just a "mall town".

The town of Rockaway has no feel like the mall and the northern part of the township doesn't feel like you are anywhere near a mall.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
I like morris plains, good area and you get a lot more for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey