Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 6,599 times

Advertisements

wow! so Mean..you sound like my boss..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Going back to work is actually good advice.

When, exactly, did he "terminate" you? Was it Thursday, and you didn't go in Friday?

As I said on the other forum, NJ will take at least seven weeks to approve benefits - best case.

However, if employer says you quit and you say fired, unless you are really convincing when you talk to that interviewer a month from now, NJ will issue an automatic denial, let you appeal, and it will be at least three-four months, or longer, before you can resolve it.

It takes NJ forever to schedule appeals.

You should try to get this job back if at all possible. 12 years - that's a lot to give up. Sounds like a heat-of-the-moment (hopefully regrettable) statement by your boss. You might be able to patch things up.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Going back to work is actually good advice.

When, exactly, did he "terminate" you? Was it Thursday, and you didn't go in Friday?

As I said on the other forum, NJ will take at least seven weeks to approve benefits - best case.

However, if employer says you quit and you say fired, unless you are really convincing when you talk to that interviewer a month from now, NJ will issue an automatic denial, let you appeal, and it will be at least three-four months, or longer, before you can resolve it.

It takes NJ forever to schedule appeals.

You should try to get this job back if at all possible. 12 years - that's a lot to give up. Sounds like a heat-of-the-moment (hopefully regrettable) statement by your boss. You might be able to patch things up.
Horrible advice IMO. Assuming this JO boss knew her family situation and still insisted on OT, that's no one that you want to work for. The economy's getting better. If the OP has savings, look for a new job. Unless the pay/benes are so good, I'd never grovel to such a scumbag. Of course it's all dependent on the OPs situation & how accurate her story is.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM

its been 3 wks, since I lost my job. 1st time in my career i filed for unemloyment and dont know how it works?

was thinking that my boss will call me back after holidays but they didnt call. I agree with EDWICK that how can I go back to that jerk and ask him for my job who didn't understand my situation after working for him 12 years. its almost one generation that I worked for him and I was loyal empolyee.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp42513gj View Post
its been 3 wks, since I lost my job. 1st time in my career i filed for unemloyment and dont know how it works?

was thinking that my boss will call me back after holidays but they didnt call. I agree with EDWICK that how can I go back to that jerk and ask him for my job who didn't understand my situation after working for him 12 years. its almost one generation that I worked for him and I was loyal employee.
So, you had that interaction 3 weeks ago, and just never went back to work? to be honest, it sounds like you did quit and may have a very tough time collecting unemployment. Your boss is a total jerk. However, you definitely did not handle this situation well. at this point i think it will be very difficult to get your job back. But it cant hurt. In the meantime, start looking for other employment as well. It sounds like you would be better off working somewhere else.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
TBH if you work for 12 years at a job nowadays and are not steadily moving up in the organization, other employers think something's wrong with you. After a couple of layoffs I look out for #1...and it isn't my employer. They get the best of me up until the time they start acting like your boss or making it a horrible place to work. Then it's time to move to a new dept. or leave the organization. Admittedly the last 5 years have been hard on employees, but hopefully that's changing.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:

was thinking that my boss will call me back after holidays but they didnt call. I agree with EDWICK that how can I go back to that jerk and ask him for my job who didn't understand my situation after working for him 12 years. its almost one generation that I worked for him and I was loyal empolyee.
You probably will have a hard time getting unemployment unless your former employer throws you a bone. It sounds more like you quit then got fired.

I would file for unemployment, but I doubt you get it without a fight and/or penalty. You should be searching for a new job if you aren't already.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Horrible advice IMO. Assuming this JO boss knew her family situation and still insisted on OT, that's no one that you want to work for. The economy's getting better. If the OP has savings, look for a new job. Unless the pay/benes are so good, I'd never grovel to such a scumbag. Of course it's all dependent on the OPs situation & how accurate her story is.
Ah, yes. The devil is in the details.

A one-time occurrence if the boss was in a bad mood that day - very likely he just knee-jerk said don't come back and didn't mean it. 12 years is a lot to walk away from.

However, we have NO CLUE on what type of work it is this person does. That matters.

Does she do clerical accounting/admin work - or is she a highly-skilled IT person, atty, accountant, or some other professional. Lower level work, you don't just walk away from 12 years, imo. The job market isn't that good. Hopefully, she's married and has another income in the household.

That said, now that we know three weeks has gone by, of course, she can't go back to the job.

Doesn't sound like there's any financial urgency here if OP is just now getting around to wondering about eligibility/likelihood of approval.

Most people who lose jobs who visit the UE forum don't have a lot in savings. The job loss/loss of income becomes a crisis in very short order.

If that's not OP's, case. it's a good thing. Because if this boss says "quit" when she says "fired" - as I said above - it will be many months before she sees benefits - unless she is very convincing in the interview.

At best, she'll be waiting until mid-February with the way NJ operates these days.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM

I was working at Manger level, to go back to job is give up with my self respect and might get treated like slave.

I dont know who would do that?? go back to that jerk and say i need my job and he start treating you like piece of **** again.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
I was working at Manger level, to go back to job is give up with my self respect and might get treated like slave.

I dont know who would do that?? go back to that jerk and say i need my job and he start treating you like piece of **** again.
If you don't "need" the job, then you don't "need" unemployment benefits.

Pride is a choice that you pay for, not taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey