Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You WERE actually in the worst part of town. The Bay St station is the only area that is really dumpy.
Technically that is the second worst part of town. The worst part of Montclair is Mission St., over on the other side of Bloomfield Ave. That's where the shootings and more violent crimes always occur. Around Bay St. you get the break-ins and drug dealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 11:55 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Technically that is the second worst part of town. The worst part of Montclair is Mission St., over on the other side of Bloomfield Ave. That's where the shootings and more violent crimes always occur. Around Bay St. you get the break-ins and drug dealing.
Yeah, I guess if you consider them 2 different areas. I always thought of them both as part of the same area, just split in half by Bloomfield Ave. Either way, you go a couple of blocks west and it gets nice and stays nice until you get to the Verona and West Orange borders. The north side is beautiful too.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 17,165 times
To the OP - You missed Upper Montclair and Watchung Ave. They have a downtown feel about them. Bay Street /Lackawanna is more of a throughway.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:33 PM

18 posts, read 28,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Used to? they sold it? I looked up a couple of those houses on zillow, and property taxes are $100k per year. I wish i have friends living in those mansions, it will be cool to party in there
My Grandfather's house is a Queen Anne across the street on Upper Mountain, but there are similar Tudor homes in stone to be found all over town, especially in old Montclair proper: South of Bloomfield ave. They are back tucked away on Stonebridge in the estate section across from Nishuane Park as well.

Check out this youtube video of one up on Lloyd Rd:
120 Lloyd Rd, Montclair, NJ 07042 - YouTube

Old 05-04-2015, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,626 times
Hello, we are looking to move to Montclair (only place with a nice downtown between our jobs) -- is New Street really that bad of an area? It is only a half mile from Cuban Pete's and the downtown area that we've visited and enjoyed.

The rent doesn't even seem that cheap for a ghetto area. We don't need it to be all rich white people, but I don't want to be afraid of getting robbed every night or walking downtown at 10 pm. .

Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 PM

45 posts, read 74,581 times
Montclair is hood with a small section of mansions. Compare to the Bronx with Riverdale.

Nice parts of NNJ are spots like Franklin Lakes, Wyckoff, Montvale, Alpine, Englewood Cliffs (if you're Asian) etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 PM

166 posts, read 326,560 times
You just named a bunch of towns with zero character and no downtown or culture.

Part of me wants to tell you to move to New Street to start gentrifying that area. The other part of me says please do not do that it's not safe. You need to realize that Montclair has a cool vibe and a great scene, however it is extremely liberal so much so that it has a whole ton of low income section 8 housing all around that area. It's kind of like a 4 block radius of Irvington NJ that is a doughnut hole between the millionaires in Glen Ridge who the people who live here rob and carjack and the mansions up on the hill in Montclair who probably get robbed and carjacked less but they still do.

With all the great new change happening in Montclair, New mixed use construction, new Hotel, new south park street, street festivals, main street awards etc...all Montclair needs to do is bulldoze that whole 4 block radius around new and mission streets and move out all the section 8 housing and it would arguably by the best town in NJ.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:12 PM

I grew up in Pomonok in Flushing Queens, plenty of culture there. I don't understand folks who move to the suburbs looking for progressive vibrant diversity. The whole point of the suburbs are safe places to raise kids in a quiet and family friendly setting..you can get tons of character in Newark too and you will never be bored, but it's not a good spot for families.

As for Montclair, it's icky and I wouldn't move there. If I were to go down to Jersey it would likely be Wyckoff, West Milford, Ringwood area or maybe Colts Neck, Freehold etc. I'm an Orthodox Jewish Republican, Montclair isn't my scene. It has mostly older homes and too much foot traffic and activity to be family friendly IMO.

It infuriates me that people tolerate paying millions of dollars plus supremely high taxes and then live in proximity to people who not only are getting a free ride, but also victimize them and blight their town. The only sort of low income housing I would tolerate in my community would be for the elderly, anything else and I would move.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:28 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Bomb View Post
I grew up in Pomonok in Flushing Queens, plenty of culture there. I don't understand folks who move to the suburbs looking for progressive vibrant diversity. The whole point of the suburbs are safe places to raise kids in a quiet and family friendly setting..you can get tons of character in Newark too and you will never be bored, but it's not a good spot for families.

As for Montclair, it's icky and I wouldn't move there. If I were to go down to Jersey it would likely be Wyckoff, West Milford, Ringwood area or maybe Colts Neck, Freehold etc. I'm an Orthodox Jewish Republican, Montclair isn't my scene. It has mostly older homes and too much foot traffic and activity to be family friendly IMO.

It infuriates me that people tolerate paying millions of dollars plus supremely high taxes and then live in proximity to people who not only are getting a free ride, but also victimize them and blight their town. The only sort of low income housing I would tolerate in my community would be for the elderly, anything else and I would move.
The bolded just about sums you up. Dont feed the troll people!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
The bolded just about sums you up. Dont feed the troll people!
Differing opinion = troll?

Don't come to NJ to escape the issues of the city like crime and blight but then look for a place that is "Brooklyn lite", all of those positive aspects of Brooklyn also come with the negative aspects.

If your budget is high enough to live in Montclair and you want Brooklyn lite, why not just move to Park Slope? the Upper West Side? Clinton Hill? Save on the property tax, you will get a yuppy progressive diverse community and you will likely have less proximity to the section 8 demographic and blight than you will in Montclair or one of the Oranges.

Now if you want nice, upscale family friendly suburbia there are many towns that offer that with no sketchy areas. I'm thinking Northern Bergen County, but it's nice there precisely because it's NOT Brooklyn.

The only actually nice towns with good schools and family friendliness and that Hipster Brooklyn vibe I can think of are some of the Westchester River Towns like Hastings on Hudson.

Jersey has great towns to raise families if you have the cash, awesome schools and beautiful homes..but it's NOT NYC, and the towns that try to be NYC get the good and the bad of NYC, like rundown and poverty stricken neighborhoods. You cannot have one without the other..and why pay extra and move to NJ for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey