Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM

54 posts, read 208,224 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently stumbled across this board and am finding it very useful. My husband and I are considering moving to New Jersey. He will be working in Skillman and I will need to find a job after we move. We've heard that people at his company live in Hoboken, Princeton, or New Brunswick. We would like to have only one car, which means he will need it since there is no train service to Skillman. Correct?

What suggestions do you have for where to live near Skillman? Our main concerns are safety and being near a train line, so I can take the train whenever I find a job. We don't have kids so schools are not a factor. We WOULD like to be near good restaurants and entertainment. We are in our 30s and just got married in September, and are moving from San Diego. According to what I've read, it sounds like $2,000 is a typical rent for a 2 bedroom apartment; anyone have ideas if this is the case?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristir View Post
Hello, I recently stumbled across this board and am finding it very useful. My husband and I are considering moving to New Jersey. He will be working in Skillman and I will need to find a job after we move. We've heard that people at his company live in Hoboken, Princeton, or New Brunswick. We would like to have only one car, which means he will need it since there is no train service to Skillman. Correct?

What suggestions do you have for where to live near Skillman? Our main concerns are safety and being near a train line, so I can take the train whenever I find a job. We don't have kids so schools are not a factor. We WOULD like to be near good restaurants and entertainment. We are in our 30s and just got married in September, and are moving from San Diego. According to what I've read, it sounds like $2,000 is a typical rent for a 2 bedroom apartment; anyone have ideas if this is the case?

Skillman is a driving area, so presuming that you want him to drive to work (with the one car), you might find it a little difficult.
Princeton is very expensive (and rents are high due to wealthy students) and is walkable, but the actual train station is in Princeton Junction, which isn't. New Brunswick is further from Skillman (25 minutes drive approx.), walkable, has a train to the city, has fabulous restaurants and high end apartments, but also run down areas. Hoboken is expensive (because it is just across the river from Manhattan). Good lifestyle for young couples, PATH train into Manhattan, lots of restaurants, etc but the commute for your husband would be over an hour.

I assume that you assume that you would find a job in Manhattan, because train travel AROUND New Jersey is almost impossible. If you thought that you would work in New Jersey, unless you find a job next door, you will need two cars.

All the towns have something going for them - you might also want to look at Metuchen or maybe even the Somerville area. The big issue will be who will spend the most time commuting.

Commute to Manhattan from the mentioned towns - Princeton over 1 hour, New Brunswick, 1 hour, Hoboken 10/15 minutes.

Princeton is very much a student town as is New Brunswick (although they are working to attract young professionals). I would say the restaurants in NB are actually better and more interesting.
If you want to try the whole Manhattan nightlife/young couple thing Hoboken might be a better fit. BUT prices are much higher there.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the response Anthony. It sounds like we'll definitely need two cars...darn. I was under the (mistaken) impression that NJ cities were well linked by the train system.

So...let's assume we each have a car. If the commute from Princeton to Skillman is 20 minutes (is that right?) then what is it from Metuchen or Somerville? Is it with or against traffic, in each case? We would like to avoid the worst of traffic; living in southern California has taught us that much. The commute times are the most important factor for us, at this point.

As far as my job, I really hadn't considered Manhattan. I figured I'd find something in / around Princeton or wherever we live. I work in the financial services industry so shouldn't have a difficult time, I would imagine.

We're coming out the weekend of December 14/15 to scout the area - in what order would you rank the following:

Princeton
New Brunswick
Somerville
Metuchen
Hoboken

Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response Anthony. It sounds like we'll definitely need two cars...darn. I was under the (mistaken) impression that NJ cities were well linked by the train system.

So...let's assume we each have a car. If the commute from Princeton to Skillman is 20 minutes (is that right?) then what is it from Metuchen or Somerville? Is it with or against traffic, in each case? We would like to avoid the worst of traffic; living in southern California has taught us that much. The commute times are the most important factor for us, at this point.

As far as my job, I really hadn't considered Manhattan. I figured I'd find something in / around Princeton or wherever we live. I work in the financial services industry so shouldn't have a difficult time, I would imagine.

We're coming out the weekend of December 14/15 to scout the area - in what order would you rank the following:

Princeton
New Brunswick
Somerville
Metuchen
Hoboken

Thanks again for the help.
Skillman to Princeton is 15-20 minutes, top, against traffic.

Metuchen to Princeton is about 45 minutes average commute - partially with traffic (Rt 287 portion), partially not.

Somerville is about 35 minutes, against traffic.

General rule of thumb is traffic flows in the AM towards NYC, against at night. One exception is Rt 287 "north" around the Edison area (which part of it is actually west, away from NYC).

Have you looked at Lambertville, New Hope PA? Cute funky towns, maybe worth a looksee?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Skillman to Princeton is 15-20 minutes, top, against traffic.

Metuchen to Princeton is about 45 minutes average commute - partially with traffic (Rt 287 portion), partially not.

Somerville is about 35 minutes, against traffic.

General rule of thumb is traffic flows in the AM towards NYC, against at night. One exception is Rt 287 "north" around the Edison area (which part of it is actually west, away from NYC).

Have you looked at Lambertville, New Hope PA? Cute funky towns, maybe worth a looksee?

I would agree with Tahiti here, and also that Lambertville is a nice little town.

As for the OP's list:

Princeton
New Brunswick
Somerville
Metuchen
Hoboken

I don't know really how to rate it, because areas people feel comfortable in are so subjective - it depends on lifestyle and personality.

Princeton is beautiful, dominated by the University and very walkable. Apart from the students its population is split between crunchy granola educated types and corporate wannabes who wan't to live there for the name. The nightlife is a little limited as the Princeton students have their own "supper clubs". Best commute to Skillman. VERY EXPENSIVE.

New Brunswick was industrial. It is the base of Johnson and Johnson and Rutgers University. Has a bunch of brand new high rise luxury apartments, fantastic restaurants and nightlife and also a large poor neighbourhood. Definitely grittier.

Somerville is more of a suburban center. Pleasant main street they are rebuilding, nice restaurants. Probably quieter.

Metuchen is walkable, a small town surrounded by suburbia. Popular with young professionals and families.

Hoboken is definitely all about Manhattan.

You'd be right about finding financial work around the Princeton area as many big companies (Merrill Lynch etc) have offices there.

If you can give me a better idea of the kind of lifestyle you enjoy, and what your expectations of the area are, perhaps I can make more specific recommendations.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

118 posts, read 623,710 times
Quote:

I would stick around Princeton to live. It is really safe there too.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the very informational responses. I think we are ruling out Hoboken, Somerville and Metuchen. We'd like to keep the commute under 30 minutes from home to Skillman. With that in mind, what do you think about Hillsborough?

As far as the two of us, we're definitely more like "corporate wannabes" than "crunchy granola educated types." LOL. My husband is finishing his MBA and I'm a Dilbert type worker bee. In our spare time we like to hike, camp, go to movies, check out museums and eat at fun restaurants. I'm not worried about finding movies or restaurants, but are there any parks / open spaces in this part of New Jersey? Or will we be driving long distances to find outdoorsy pursuits?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM
dfw

1 posts, read 29,255 times
Look into Hopewell Township and Rocky Hill, two small towns bordering Skillman/Blawenberg.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 26,773 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the very informational responses. I think we are ruling out Hoboken, Somerville and Metuchen. We'd like to keep the commute under 30 minutes from home to Skillman. With that in mind, what do you think about Hillsborough?

As far as the two of us, we're definitely more like "corporate wannabes" than "crunchy granola educated types." LOL. My husband is finishing his MBA and I'm a Dilbert type worker bee. In our spare time we like to hike, camp, go to movies, check out museums and eat at fun restaurants. I'm not worried about finding movies or restaurants, but are there any parks / open spaces in this part of New Jersey? Or will we be driving long distances to find outdoorsy pursuits?
I lived in Hillsborough for about 18 months between 2007 and 2008. I lived in Claremont Towers, on Auten Road, in both a 2 bd and then 1 bd. I am in my mid 20's, and I must say it was an extremely boring town. There is one fun bar (Petrock's) that my bf and I used to walk to, and one movie theater (also within walking distance). Other than that, the majority of residents have chosen this town because of the nice schools and safe neighborhood. Also, Route 206 is a nightmare, all day every day. If you are looking for nightlife, you may want to look at Somerset, Princeton, New Brunswick area.
On a related note, I am also starting a new job at J&J-Skillman, and looking for apartments in the area. I'd be interested in what you choose.
Happy hunting!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
Hillsborough is boring...nice if you want suburban family oriented sprawl. Boring if you want good restaurrants. FAR from Manhattan.

I'd stick to the Princeton area for what you want. You will have the most interesting life there, I think, if you want to be anywhere near Skillman. There are many companies around there. But, if you do work in NYC it is 1hr+ on the train, and several-year wait list for parking at the train station in Princeton Junction. So just know what your options are as far as commuting, if you are looking for jobs in NYC.

Princeton would be a fun place to live for a 30-something couple. Lots of restaurants and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey