Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The reason I was thinking taxi is I thought I saw on the PATH schedules that there is no service after 11:00PM. Looking at the rents, it seems they get much lower in Jersey City as you move away from the waterfront. Is there a safe distance to be away from the downtown waterfront area?
The PATH runs 24/7. And you are correct. with hoboken and JC, the rent gets cheaper the further you move away from one of the PATH stations or the water front. As long as you are in walking distance to any of those 3 it is safe. you should be able to find something nice, in your price range within a 5 min walk to the PATH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
this place looks nice and has a pool!
Awesome Downtown Loft

Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Thanks again all. You have been great!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The reason I was thinking taxi is I thought I saw on the PATH schedules that there is no service after 11:00PM. Looking at the rents, it seems they get much lower in Jersey City as you move away from the waterfront. Is there a safe distance to be away from the downtown waterfront area?
The PATH schedule changes after 11 pm (the routes reorganize so there are two routes instead of four, but all stations are still served), but it's a 24-hour service. The HBLR is not 24 hours, but it runs until 2 am or so--plenty late enough for most people. (Though, other than in the bitter cold we're currently experiencing, walking between Hoboken and Jersey City isn't so bad, at least along the waterfront.)

On what constitutes downtown Jersey City, anything east of I-78 is downtown Jersey City and is going to be just fine. There are safe areas west of I-78, too, that are much cheaper but at least visually a lot of those areas are more run down and have much less going on.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM

208 posts, read 468,352 times
Also try to avoid ground floor or below ground floors due to flooding and safety. You may find some homes in Craigslist that will allow small dogs. In my small complex, there are two homes being rented right now and they both have animals. It's a private rental property and I do not believe they went through a relator. They are not currently for rent. Good luck.

PPS an aparmtnet facing away from the street is also a good idea since the recycle and garbage trucks come through around 2-5am... and they are loud.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
The PATH schedule changes after 11 pm (the routes reorganize so there are two routes instead of four, but all stations are still served), but it's a 24-hour service. The HBLR is not 24 hours, but it runs until 2 am or so--plenty late enough for most people. (Though, other than in the bitter cold we're currently experiencing, walking between Hoboken and Jersey City isn't so bad, at least along the waterfront.)

On what constitutes downtown Jersey City, anything east of I-78 is downtown Jersey City and is going to be just fine. There are safe areas west of I-78, too, that are much cheaper but at least visually a lot of those areas are more run down and have much less going on.
The after 11pm hours on the PATH are brutal. You can sometimes end up waiting at stations in NYC for over 45 minutes during late nights

Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
There is a free app for your smartphone that shows the PATH schedule. I never have to wait long on the weekends. I always open the app check the schedule and plan accordingly. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 150,130 times
If your daughter is between 20 - 35 then Hoboken is the way to go, no question. If you need to be by the path and want to be close to Washington St (the main street of Hoboken), there are some places I would recommend. These buildings have doorman and aren't on Washington itself, so you wouldn't be getting any noise complaints ever from the bar scene.

333 River - Very nice building right on the water, next to the W hotel. 2 short blocks over from washington, and 3 blocks from the path. Not sure about parking

Archstone - Garden and Observer. Newer building of the 3, more of a younger scene. 22 - 30 age group. Has everything you need in a building... gym, parking, huge terrace for the building, and other things.

Zephyr lofts - Very nice building as well. The apartments are bigger in size. Parking garage underneath I believe. The building itself is futher away than the previous two from Washington and the Path, maybe 5 hoboken blocks. It's off of observer highway. Condo building though, but condo owners always looking to rent out.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,068 times
I lived in Hoboken for about 8 years and loved it - it's great for the 20-somethings and has many transportation options: path, light rail, bus, taxi.

$1700 however is not going to get you a one bedroom, unfortunately, if that's what you are looking for. The typical 1-bed now easily goes for 2k+ so I would suggest your daughter find a roomate, whether a friend or as another suggested, check on craigslist. I used craigslist when I first picked up to move and ended up in a 3 bedroom with 2 roomates and stayed well within my budget with the rent/utilities split. We also had a lot of fun. As long as your daughter meets the people before hand and feels comfortable, it's not a bad option.

Everyone gave great advice - and the one about do not get a ground floor or below ground floor apt if possible is not a joke. The water that drowned them on some streets during Sandy was amazing. Washington St is definitely noisy and the father west you go, the quieter and easier it is to park. The entire town is very walkable. All of the apts I had were in the 10th/Clinton and 8th/Jefferson area - both great but a good 20 min walk to the path, although there is a bus right there too if you really don't want to walk it. The light rail is nearby on 9th which if close by, would be the easiest way to get to JC. I wouldn't however suggest being at the light rail alone late at night. It's not "unsafe" but if there was any crime, it was usually around that area.

Tip: Using a realtor may be benecial in some cases to find hidden gems but it will also cost you a fee of 1 months rent. If you go directly to the apartment management companies yourself however, you avoid this. I never once paid out a realtor fee for an apt in Hoboken. PS - Courtyard at Jefferson allows pets (ok building, dog run, gym, washer/dryers in apt... the con is thin walls but I had that issue everywhere I went). Check out City Homes and Gardens - they own a few buildings including the above. www.cityhomesandgardens.com

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The after 11pm hours on the PATH are brutal. You can sometimes end up waiting at stations in NYC for over 45 minutes during late nights
The largest gap in the schedule is 35 minutes, so if you're waiting 45 minutes there's something actually gone wrong. Not that that can't/doesn't happen, of course. I'm just glad Christie didn't retaliate against Fulop for endorsing Buono by shutting down the PATH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey