Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:45 PM

19 posts, read 22,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I think you might be worrying about the schools too much.... The rating are fine for all the school district mentioned. Its is easy to over research school districts thinking that the best school district will solve all your problems.. it wont. Drive, walk around and find a place you feel comfortable in because the facts on the ground will often be different from the ratings of the school district.
lol..We know putting our kid in the best SD out there wont solve our problems..It just might be one less thing to stress over...We do plan to go over to Cherry hill on a weekend to see and feel how things are( not sure if a few hours would give any real feel about the place)... we definitely would like to be in a friendly and diverse community where our kid can have friends beyond school too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer2331 View Post
Hi all,

I have been offered a better opportunity in Cherry Hill...I am yet to make a decision ..A few things I would like to know before we can make a decision..I am hoping people here would help us out....We have no idea about NJ...We currently live in LI... Husband and I both work in IT..We are in our mid 30s...He is an Indian and I am white...We have a five and a half year old daughter who goes to kindergarten....He travels for work M-Th...

The office where I would work is in Cherry Hill...I, of course don't want my commute to be crazy( 30 -35 mins door to door)..The city should have very good schools and a good mix of people from different cultures...Goes without saying that it should be safe and should have a choice of activities our kid could do...she currently does swimming , gymnastics and painting.No offense to anyone but we do not want to be in an all white or all Indian community....We were thinking we would most likely live in Princeton ...We are going to rent for the next year atleast..If we like NJ we will most likely buy there or come back to LI and buy here..If we buy in NJ we will most likely buy in a place with a better commute to NYC along with all the criteria listed above...I think my guess is we would be looking at North NJ then?

So my questions are

1)How is the commute from Princeton to Cherry Hill??
2)How is Princeton as a city to live in?
3)Any other city we should consider ?
4)My daughter goes to a private school here but I want to put her in the public school system.Any public school better than the other? If she continues going to a private school any recommendations in the Princeton area?
5) Seems silly but any nice gyms in the Princeton area?

Any info will be very welcome and appreciated..
Thanks!!
I know you guys were turned off of the Princeton area by earlier posters, but if you went for adjacent West Windsor or Plainsboro, you would have a great area with lots of Indian people and a school district superior to any in the South Jersey region. As well, the commute wouldn't be 50 minutes to Cherry Hill, and you would have all of the shopping, restaurants and small town feel of Princeton combined with the West Windsor grocery stores and top schools. There are also many top-tier gyms in the region.

Finally, you are much closer to New York and still have access to Philadelphia as well.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know you guys were turned off of the Princeton area by earlier posters, but if you went for adjacent West Windsor or Plainsboro, you would have a great area with lots of Indian people and a school district superior to any in the South Jersey region. As well, the commute wouldn't be 50 minutes to Cherry Hill, and you would have all of the shopping, restaurants and small town feel of Princeton combined with the West Windsor grocery stores and top schools. There are also many top-tier gyms in the region.

Finally, you are much closer to New York and still have access to Philadelphia as well.
Wow!! Thanks so much for this info...will surely check these options out as well....

Any particular zipcodes in this area we need to avoid or its all good...thanks for the info on the gyms too...thats pretty important to us till we have a home gym....

Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM

469 posts, read 566,791 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I have been offered a better opportunity in Cherry Hill...I am yet to make a decision ..A few things I would like to know before we can make a decision..I am hoping people here would help us out....We have no idea about NJ...We currently live in LI... Husband and I both work in IT..We are in our mid 30s...He is an Indian and I am white...We have a five and a half year old daughter who goes to kindergarten....He travels for work M-Th...

The office where I would work is in Cherry Hill...I, of course don't want my commute to be crazy( 30 -35 mins door to door)..The city should have very good schools and a good mix of people from different cultures...Goes without saying that it should be safe and should have a choice of activities our kid could do...she currently does swimming , gymnastics and painting.No offense to anyone but we do not want to be in an all white or all Indian community....We were thinking we would most likely live in Princeton ...We are going to rent for the next year atleast..If we like NJ we will most likely buy there or come back to LI and buy here..If we buy in NJ we will most likely buy in a place with a better commute to NYC along with all the criteria listed above...I think my guess is we would be looking at North NJ then?

So my questions are

1)How is the commute from Princeton to Cherry Hill??
2)How is Princeton as a city to live in?
3)Any other city we should consider ?
4)My daughter goes to a private school here but I want to put her in the public school system.Any public school better than the other? If she continues going to a private school any recommendations in the Princeton area?
5) Seems silly but any nice gyms in the Princeton area?

Any info will be very welcome and appreciated..
Thanks!!
Princeton to Cherry hill is a bad commute (long commute as well and traffic). If you can stay somewhere, stay in voorhees, its only about 30 minutes or less away pending on your route also it's safe. Gibbsboro, Haddonfield/Collingswood, but not Oaklyn because its close to camden and theres a lot of crime. Stay out of lindenwold and camden. Public school - Best is Voorhees (Eastern) and the others would be Princeton's, Mercer? Private school - Bishop Eustace, Paul VI, Camden Catholic.
Gyms.. i only know places in my area around lindenwold/voorhees area, sorry.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
I used to live in Marlton and it was pretty nice and I would say the schools are good. about 10 mins from Cherry Hill

Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM

469 posts, read 566,791 times
Quote:
Thankyou Swdhtut and captne76 for your replies...

Okay based on your replies, Princeton is something we wont consider for the time being..Cant do that type of commute .We were considering Princeton as we have heard the school district is pretty good there...If the school district was good we wouldnt mind the expenses...I commute 20 mins door to door now and that has spoiled me...So we look into Cherry hill, Voorhees, Moorestown...Haddondield is some.we are looking for a 3 bedroom 2 bath place...rent preferbaly should be in 2.5k-3k range...Ideally we would like an independent house with a backyard as that is what we rent now...

Swdhut that was some great info you gave..I just need time to process everything..Honestly I am just a little overwhelmed with the thought of going somewhere unknown and trying to make a decision based on info I get from the net..I have been on googlemaps since last night trying to figure everything out...

What are the top 2 elementary and middle schools in cherry hill , Voorhees and Moorestown..We would like to rent in those places where we can send our child to these schools...

I did look up Dwell, Grand and also Burrough Mills...whats the name of the school you were mentioning?

Any zipcode we need to be looking at and any zipcode we should be avoiding??

Thanks!!!

I am most likely coming back with a million more questions..
Oh you wanted elementary schools. The best i know of is moorestown and voorhees middle school.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 AM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
I love Princeton, but Princeton to Cherry Hill is a long drive. I would recommend Bordentown. Nice, peaceful town with a decent assortment of local stores, restaurants and whatnot.

Much closer to Cherry Hill than Princeton is, but right off the Turnpike and closer to New York than Cherry Hill, so it's easier to get back across the Hudson should you be interested in heading in that direction.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Wow!! Thanks so much for this info...will surely check these options out as well....

Any particular zipcodes in this area we need to avoid or its all good...thanks for the info on the gyms too...thats pretty important to us till we have a home gym....
Just avoid areas nearer Trenton, but no parts of West Windsor, Plainsboro or Princeton are close by and unsafe. Well, tiny areas of Princeton are unsafe, but nothing to really worry about. The 08540, 08550 and 08536 zip codes are your best bets. Stay in those areas and you'll be fine.

There are tons of small gyms/fitness facilities in Princeton; the best upscale gyms are CanDo (I am a former member) and the Princeton Fitness and Wellness Center at Plainsboro (where I belong).

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryazer24 View Post
Princeton to Cherry hill is a bad commute (long commute as well and traffic). If you can stay somewhere, stay in voorhees, its only about 30 minutes or less away pending on your route also it's safe. Gibbsboro, Haddonfield/Collingswood, but not Oaklyn because its close to camden and theres a lot of crime. Stay out of lindenwold and camden. Public school - Best is Voorhees (Eastern) and the others would be Princeton's, Mercer? Private school - Bishop Eustace, Paul VI, Camden Catholic.
Gyms.. i only know places in my area around lindenwold/voorhees area, sorry.
Thanks for your input..I will have to do some major google-fu with google maps on the weekend to understand the commute...

Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I used to live in Marlton and it was pretty nice and I would say the schools are good. about 10 mins from Cherry Hill
Thanks!! will look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey