Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM

19 posts, read 22,514 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been offered a better opportunity in Cherry Hill...I am yet to make a decision ..A few things I would like to know before we can make a decision..I am hoping people here would help us out....We have no idea about NJ...We currently live in LI... Husband and I both work in IT..We are in our mid 30s...He is an Indian and I am white...We have a five and a half year old daughter who goes to kindergarten....He travels for work M-Th...

The office where I would work is in Cherry Hill...I, of course don't want my commute to be crazy( 30 -35 mins door to door)..The city should have very good schools and a good mix of people from different cultures...Goes without saying that it should be safe and should have a choice of activities our kid could do...she currently does swimming , gymnastics and painting.No offense to anyone but we do not want to be in an all white or all Indian community....We were thinking we would most likely live in Princeton ...We are going to rent for the next year atleast..If we like NJ we will most likely buy there or come back to LI and buy here..If we buy in NJ we will most likely buy in a place with a better commute to NYC along with all the criteria listed above...I think my guess is we would be looking at North NJ then?

So my questions are

1)How is the commute from Princeton to Cherry Hill??
2)How is Princeton as a city to live in?
3)Any other city we should consider ?
4)My daughter goes to a private school here but I want to put her in the public school system.Any public school better than the other? If she continues going to a private school any recommendations in the Princeton area?
5) Seems silly but any nice gyms in the Princeton area?

Any info will be very welcome and appreciated..
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 14,601 times
Default Living in the cherry hill nj area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer2331 View Post
Hi all,

I have been offered a better opportunity in Cherry Hill...I am yet to make a decision ..A few things I would like to know before we can make a decision..I am hoping people here would help us out....We have no idea about NJ...We currently live in LI... Husband and I both work in IT..We are in our mid 30s...He is an Indian and I am white...We have a five and a half year old daughter who goes to kindergarten....He travels for work M-Th...

The office where I would work is in Cherry Hill...I, of course don't want my commute to be crazy( 30 -35 mins door to door)..The city should have very good schools and a good mix of people from different cultures...Goes without saying that it should be safe and should have a choice of activities our kid could do...she currently does swimming , gymnastics and painting.No offense to anyone but we do not want to be in an all white or all Indian community....We were thinking we would most likely live in Princeton ...We are going to rent for the next year atleast..If we like NJ we will most likely buy there or come back to LI and buy here..If we buy in NJ we will most likely buy in a place with a better commute to NYC along with all the criteria listed above...I think my guess is we would be looking at North NJ then?

So my questions are

1)How is the commute from Princeton to Cherry Hill??
2)How is Princeton as a city to live in?
3)Any other city we should consider ?
4)My daughter goes to a private school here but I want to put her in the public school system.Any public school better than the other? If she continues going to a private school any recommendations in the Princeton area?
5) Seems silly but any nice gyms in the Princeton area?

Any info will be very welcome and appreciated..
Thanks!!
Cherry hill is a very nice area. A lot of professionals like doctors and lawyers live there. It is one of our best areas in south jersey and is par of what is know as the golden mile. It borders voorhees which is a other very good area. It has some of the bes t schools around. Voorhees, cherry hill, and moorestown have excellent school districts. People live in the areas for the schools. I used to substitute teach in voorhees and haddonfield and i ran an after school,program in cherry hill schools. I only worked in schools where the kids were well behaved. You definitely will not need to move to princeton, but if you were so inclined you could get there in about 45 minutes i'd say.
If youre looking to rent there are several high end apartments in cherry hill. One is Dwell, another is The Grand.
You could also rent a house. There are lots of developments in cherry hill, and each is identified by a name.
Voorhees is very good too. A lot of the Philadelphia athletes live in voorhees, cherry hill or moorestown.

Your daughter would do well in the public schools in voorhees, moorstown, cherry hill, or haddonfield. Haddondield is a bit cliquish. If you're not a doctor you might have a hard time fitting in. I once signed my daughter up for tennis lessons there and they made sure i knew i wasn't one of them. Moorstown taxes people out. If you dont have a lot and i mean a lot of moe y you wont be living there. Voorhees, has wonderful schools. I think you would be happy there. It is not an area that has tons of diversity but you will not be uncomfortable. I am african american and i would and could live there and be happy. I live about 8 miles from all of these towns now. Cherry hill while very nice and with excellent schools is a well established town. S me of the developments are getting older and there is little new construction simply because there is no room. The cherry hill mall has nordstroms, macys, jc oenney, and everything else. You will be 20 minutes from Philadelphia with great restaurants and shopping. You'll be 45 minute from the king of prussia mall which literally does have everything. We have good eating and fabulous restaurants, good hospitals, and pretty nice people. I,think your family,will love it and you will not want to move to Princeton. It is totally unnecessary for what you're trying to achieve for your family. It is safe. It is suburban. I built a house in 2005, but i wanted to buy in cherry hill for the schools. I simply couldn't afford it. A friend sold the house he built and purchased a small house in moorestown for the schools.
Trying to answer your questions as best i can. I voorhees there was one school where several of the phila flyers lived. That was one of the best. But you wouldn't want to go to the school that across from the echelon mall. it isnt bad it just isn't the best. When i subbed there they were having issues with people outside the district trying to sneek into the schools they had a person whose job it was to see if kids were dropped off to a voorhees house and then put in the bus. So that school i would recommend. In cherry hill look in the area of springdale rd starting at route 70 and going south toward kresson rd, cooper rd, and evesham rd. this is where you'll find the best schools. This area also borders marlton and voorhees.
I know rambled. Ill check back tomorrow. My user name on this forum is a misspell.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Princeton to Cherry Hill is a so-so commute, meaning it's about 50 minutes each way on a good day, and when you add in a few minutes here and there you're talking maybe an hour.

Princeton is nice but supposedly not inexpensive. As the other poster mentioned there are very nice towns closer to Cherry Hill and you also have all of Philadelphia practically next door.

NJ vs LI, NJ wins hands down. Always. You're not stuck on an island and can move around much easier. Tons of other reasons.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,199 times
Check out the SJ forum for more info. Most of the stuff here is NNJ and politics.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,210 times
OP will get better respones in the SJ subforum, though it seems like most Jerseyites are somewhat familiar with Cherry Hill. It's a pretty nice area, diverse for South Jersey with good schools and nice houses. Your dollar will go further down there than in NNJ. Of the nearby towns, Haddonfield is expensive but has good schools and offers a nice village feel, Moorestown is also high-end with good schools. Voorhees is very similar to Cherry Hill. A commute from Princeton would probably be about 50 minutes; I've found 295 doesn't back up as much as NNJ highways, though some roads in Cherry HIll like 70 and 38 can get quite congested. Obviously if staying closer to NYC is an issue, then Princeton would be better.

Overall Cherry Hill is fine if you want a suburban community with good schools and still be close to other regional centers. Philadelphia is much easier to drive into than NYC.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Thankyou Swdhtut and captne76 for your replies...

Okay based on your replies, Princeton is something we wont consider for the time being..Cant do that type of commute .We were considering Princeton as we have heard the school district is pretty good there...If the school district was good we wouldnt mind the expenses...I commute 20 mins door to door now and that has spoiled me...So we look into Cherry hill, Voorhees, Moorestown...Haddondield is some.we are looking for a 3 bedroom 2 bath place...rent preferbaly should be in 2.5k-3k range...Ideally we would like an independent house with a backyard as that is what we rent now...

Swdhut that was some great info you gave..I just need time to process everything..Honestly I am just a little overwhelmed with the thought of going somewhere unknown and trying to make a decision based on info I get from the net..I have been on googlemaps since last night trying to figure everything out...

What are the top 2 elementary and middle schools in cherry hill , Voorhees and Moorestown..We would like to rent in those places where we can send our child to these schools...

I did look up Dwell, Grand and also Burrough Mills...whats the name of the school you were mentioning?

Any zipcode we need to be looking at and any zipcode we should be avoiding??

Thanks!!!

I am most likely coming back with a million more questions..

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Im going to do some research for you. Ill be back.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Twice i lost everything i wrote.

Ratings from great schools
http://www.great schools.org/search/search.page?distance=10&gradeLevels=e&gradeLevels= m&st=public&lat=39.926813&lon=-75.02463119999999&state=NJ&locationType=locality,p olitical&normalizedAddress=Cherry%20Hill,%20NJ&tot alResults=1&locationSearchString=Cherry%20Hill,%20 NJ&city=Cherry%20Hill&sortBy=GS_RATING_DESCENDING

For the link above i asked for schools within 10 miles of cherry hill nj

Voorhees 08034
Signal hill school 9
Edward t. Hamilton 8
Kresson 7
Voorhees middle school 8
Eastern high school 8
I subbed in signal hill and kresson. Great schools.

Moorestown 08057

George c baker pk- 3 rated 10
South valley elementary pk-3 rated 10
William allen iii middle school grade 7-8 rated 9
Moorestoen upper elementary grade 4-6 rated 8

Haddonfield ( subbed here) 08033
10 rated schools
Haddonfield middle school
Elizabeth haddon k-5
8 rated schools
J fifthian tatem

Cherry hill 08003
10 rated schools
Rosa international middle

9 rated schools
Joseph d. Clark elem. k-5
Richard stockton elem. k-5
Woodcrest elem. k-5

8 rated schools
Bret harte elem. k-5
Henry c. Beck middle
Horace mann
Rated 7
James f. Cooper
Edward t. Hamilton

Another district you might look at os mt laurel. You will see in the link they have a lot of highly rated schools.
I know where mt laurel is and its a very nice area however i know cherry hill, voorhees, haddonfield and moorestown from being in the area for more years then i want to admit.
If i were you i would rent something in cherry hill or voorhees and then explore. You co workers will be able to provide you with a wealth of information. And believe me when i tell you that the worse school in any of these towns is better then the best i some areas.

If i were looking to move I would want someone to give me the info i giving you. You will be happy in cherry hill because no matter what your religion or ethnicity youll be comfortable here.same for voorhees amd probably mooresotwn.

Cherry hill has 3 zip codes
08002 is where all thr shopping is. There is GREAT shopping here. Median income 52k. Median home price 137k

Zip Code 08002, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

08034 is better. Its north of the nj turnpike. Media. Income 66k median home value 142k

Zip Code 08034, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

08003 is south of the nj turnpike. Mediun income 87k. Mediun home value 183k
All ethnicities are represented

Zip Code 08003, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

Haddonfield i dont know. When i was subbing i worked on day with an aide who was new to the area. She didnt like it at all because she wasn't accepted. It wasn't about race or religion but because she was an outsider. She told me she once reported that she overheard some kids planning a drinking party. She reported it to the school, the informed the parents and they threatened to sue. Prove it, they said.
So although the schools are great, this would be last on the list of areas i would choose.

If youre still looking check out mt laurel. Its a great area and a lot of the schools were among the top in mu search on greatschools.org(link above)

Zip Code 08054, Mount Laurel, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,199 times
I think you might be worrying about the schools too much.... The rating are fine for all the school district mentioned. Its is easy to over research school districts thinking that the best school district will solve all your problems.. it wont. Drive, walk around and find a place you feel comfortable in because the facts on the ground will often be different from the ratings of the school district.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swdhtut View Post
Twice i lost everything i wrote.

Ratings from great schools
http://www.great schools.org/search/search.page?distance=10&gradeLevels=e&gradeLevels= m&st=public&lat=39.926813&lon=-75.02463119999999&state=NJ&locationType=locality,p olitical&normalizedAddress=Cherry%20Hill,%20NJ&tot alResults=1&locationSearchString=Cherry%20Hill,%20 NJ&city=Cherry%20Hill&sortBy=GS_RATING_DESCENDING

For the link above i asked for schools within 10 miles of cherry hill nj

Voorhees 08034
Signal hill school 9
Edward t. Hamilton 8
Kresson 7
Voorhees middle school 8
Eastern high school 8
I subbed in signal hill and kresson. Great schools.

Moorestown 08057

George c baker pk- 3 rated 10
South valley elementary pk-3 rated 10
William allen iii middle school grade 7-8 rated 9
Moorestoen upper elementary grade 4-6 rated 8

Haddonfield ( subbed here) 08033
10 rated schools
Haddonfield middle school
Elizabeth haddon k-5
8 rated schools
J fifthian tatem

Cherry hill 08003
10 rated schools
Rosa international middle

9 rated schools
Joseph d. Clark elem. k-5
Richard stockton elem. k-5
Woodcrest elem. k-5

8 rated schools
Bret harte elem. k-5
Henry c. Beck middle
Horace mann
Rated 7
James f. Cooper
Edward t. Hamilton

Another district you might look at os mt laurel. You will see in the link they have a lot of highly rated schools.
I know where mt laurel is and its a very nice area however i know cherry hill, voorhees, haddonfield and moorestown from being in the area for more years then i want to admit.
If i were you i would rent something in cherry hill or voorhees and then explore. You co workers will be able to provide you with a wealth of information. And believe me when i tell you that the worse school in any of these towns is better then the best i some areas.

If i were looking to move I would want someone to give me the info i giving you. You will be happy in cherry hill because no matter what your religion or ethnicity youll be comfortable here.same for voorhees amd probably mooresotwn.

Cherry hill has 3 zip codes
08002 is where all thr shopping is. There is GREAT shopping here. Median income 52k. Median home price 137k

Zip Code 08002, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

08034 is better. Its north of the nj turnpike. Media. Income 66k median home value 142k

Zip Code 08034, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

08003 is south of the nj turnpike. Mediun income 87k. Mediun home value 183k
All ethnicities are represented

Zip Code 08003, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | ZipCode.org

Haddonfield i dont know. When i was subbing i worked on day with an aide who was new to the area. She didnt like it at all because she wasn't accepted. It wasn't about race or religion but because she was an outsider. She told me she once reported that she overheard some kids planning a drinking party. She reported it to the school, the informed the parents and they threatened to sue. Prove it, they said.
So although the schools are great, this would be last on the list of areas i would choose.

If youre still looking check out mt laurel. Its a great area and a lot of the schools were among the top in mu search on greatschools.org(link above)

Zip Code 08054, Mount Laurel, New Jersey | ZipCode.org
OMG!!! Thank you so much for your detailed reply....and sorry that you lost twice what you had written..eeekksss!!

I understand what you say about your coworker not liking the area because she wasnt accepted...thats one of my concerns too..as in people who have been in the area for sometime already have their set circle of friends or social life and its not always easy accepting a new comer into the group...

We were keen about schools so that we could stay somewhere close to the schools and hopefully there would be more kids of her age group in the neighbourhood ....It would be nice if my daughter would have friends " beyond school" ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey