Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,368,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you states that both conservatives and liberals were targeted as if it was an equal non-partisan action. that's absolutely a ridiculous position to take. so it shows that you will take ridiculous positions to favor your democrat sensibilities.

the media will make a bigger stink when it comes to nailing a republican over a democrat. I don't really complain about that, I accept it. its no big deal but your effort to downplay it is consistent with how you treated the IRS thing. just pretend its ridiculous to believe it and pretend that anyone who believes it is dumb.
well, if the number of liberal groups that applied were the same as the number of conservative groups that applied, and then also the number of conservative groups that were targeted were 10, 20, 30 times greater, then I'd agree. but the fact that the number of conservative groups that applied greatly outweighed the number of liberal groups...yeah, i tend to believe it was just a "judgmental audit selection". maybe that's because I'm an auditor.

So, the media didn't make a huge stink over Anthony Weiner? C'mon now...when democrats make news like this, the corporate junkies see dollar signs and jump all over it. Tell people to stop tuning in to crappy news, and then maybe you'll see a change. The media will do anything they believe will make them more money. It's why Fox caters to the right. It's why MSNBC tried to copy Fox's strategy.

I don't pretend anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,650,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You can figure that every traffic jam in Nj results in some mishap minor and major. Lawsuit against CC because someone headed in uber crowded NYC had a panic attack? Do you know ridiculous that sounds?
This post is so nonsensical I don't know where to began. Yes there are traffic jams everyday, yes there are traffic accidents everyday, yes there are people who injure others everyday. Some by accident, some not. Yes people are killed everyday.
Yet if you get in your car drive drunk and kill someone, the cops will be at your doors asking you some questions. If you run someone over with your car the same will happen and you will have some things to answer for. If your answer to those questions is "well this happens all the time so who cares" as you suggest in this thread, you will go to jail.
And I'm sorry the same response to this scandal does not wash and is not sufficient as much as you would like it be. And that doesn't make Chris Christie a martyr to the liberal media and the democrats.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,411,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, that's a little different, and I agree that it's ridiculous to try keep people nervous about terrorism. Look, as you guys know, I was in the WTC twice when terrorism actually occurred, and I'm not walking around scared about it and I refuse to be. What I learned from those days is that you're gonna die when you're gonna die and it's a matter of time and chance if you are in the wrong or right place when something like that occurs. As a matter of fact, I was a nervous flier pre-9/11, and now I'll get on a plane without a problem.

My point, however, is that the people who are in charge of the types of facilities that are terrorist targets should by nature of their position take that into consideration before they take actions that would make such facilities more vulnerable to terrorism. It's called being responsible.

I lost my friend Joshua Reiss in the North tower, and went to WAR twice because of it, And, like you, I wasn't never scared, I just wanted and needed to jump into the game and do my fair share. These tree huggers and bong smokers only want to bad mouth everything that isn't a democrat, they don't know any other way. The governor spoke the truth in plain language unlike what's been coming out of Washington these past five years, we carry on..

Nice post Queen.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, if the number of liberal groups that applied were the same as the number of conservative groups that applied, and then also the number of conservative groups that were targeted were 10, 20, 30 times greater, then I'd agree. but the fact that the number of conservative groups that applied greatly outweighed the number of liberal groups...yeah, i tend to believe it was just a "judgmental audit selection". maybe that's because I'm an auditor.

So, the media didn't make a huge stink over Anthony Weiner? C'mon now...when democrats make news like this, the corporate junkies see dollar signs and jump all over it. Tell people to stop tuning in to crappy news, and then maybe you'll see a change. The media will do anything they believe will make them more money. It's why Fox caters to the right. It's why MSNBC tried to copy Fox's strategy.

I don't pretend anything.
I think it varies and certainly things democrats do will get big news also. but if its something the media can move past quickly, not report, etc. on a democrat they will when if its a republican they would try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. foxnews and msnbc are a small piece of the pie, the networks are the ones im talking about.

maybe I misunderstood your position on the irs thing. I thought you were saying that liberal & conservative groups were targeted and there was no attempt to single out one side over another. now you seem to be saying something different.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
if this were Corzine brady would be saying "yeah, it was some big conspiracy that went all the way to the top" trying to make it sound ridiculous that someone would even suggest such a thing.
if it were Corzine? i'm not even sure your point here makes sense.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
if it were Corzine? i'm not even sure your point here makes sense.
I know you said you hate Corzine but I still believe that you will always want to the dem in the seat over a republican so you wouldn't want him removed from office over it. the only thing would be if a democrat would replace him, you would be ok. but if it meant a republican replacing him, then your hatred for Corzine would lose out to your democrat loyalty.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I think it varies and certainly things democrats do will get big news also. but if its something the media can move past quickly, not report, etc. on a democrat they will when if its a republican they would try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. foxnews and msnbc are a small piece of the pie, the networks are the ones im talking about.

maybe I misunderstood your position on the irs thing. I thought you were saying that liberal & conservative groups were targeted and there was no attempt to single out one side over another. now you seem to be saying something different.
I'm not sure. I don't think the networks, as in the 6pm news shows, really do much of that. the stations that really blow things like this up are the cable news channels. CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc. Watching Brian Williams on NBC nightly news...you'll get your coverage of the big news of the day. If that was a Democrat being an idiot, you'll get it. If it was a Republican, you'll get it. What democrat stories have they moved past quickly? What Republican stories have they made mountain out of a mole hill?

The IRS thing...i think a lot of investigation has happened. I don't think they purposely targeted one side over the other, i think the numbers led them to that. I do think, as pretty much all auditors would have done, they purposely chose key words to search for as "more suspicious". If it's found that it was some political vendetta that rolls up to the WH chief of staff of Obama...i would be more vocal. Maybe the difference is some people believe that's the case so they're outraged, or they want to believe it so they'll keep looking for it to be proven, and if the media isn't still looking, that proves a liberal bias. But to me, that falls into conspiracy theory terrority.

I don't have the high amount of distrust of the "media" because they are liberal. I have a high amount of distrust of them because I believe they focus on whatever will make them more money, not so much on journalism for the sake of journalism. There are some good outlets out there, but you have to piece them together yourself and ask your own questions.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The IRS thing...i think a lot of investigation has happened. I don't think they purposely targeted one side over the other, i think the numbers led them to that..
I don't recall in my googling seeing a number of total applications from conservative groups and total from liberal groups. did you find that number somewhere?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM

1,945 posts, read 3,307,043 times
Quote:
Wait, did the media not pay attention to the issues with Obama's statements? Cause I read quite a lot of stories about it. Even Bill Maher was railing him for "lying" about it (put it in quotes cause he used that specific word).

If it comes out that Obama himself, or one of his top staffers, directed the IRS to specifically target conservative organizations, I'd criticize him as well. Lerner was a Bush appointee, no? The IRS targeted progressive groups as well, no? Liberal groups actually had their tax exempt status denied, no? Unfortunately, some people forget to read, and then think that the media didn't investigate and question.
Did the media disqualify Obama as President because of his scandals? It seems they have already disqualified Christie as able to govern without yet having/knowing all the facts. I think the media has treated this differently and are doing more digging on the GWB scandal than they did on President Obama's scandals.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM

1,945 posts, read 3,307,043 times
Quote:
if this were Corzine brady would be saying "yeah, it was some big conspiracy that went all the way to the top" trying to make it sound ridiculous that someone would even suggest such a thing.
Corzine was framed. He had no knowledge that money was being illegally moved from retirees to cover the company's short bets. And Corzine was always a class act and set the gold standard for decorum. He never called Christie fat or made fun of his weight. I hope you sense sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey