Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 AM

414 posts, read 930,545 times

Advertisements

SMH...Jesus. EZ-Pass Folks (or shall I say the Port Authority of NY & NJ) are trying to rule with an iron fist. I have zero trust and faith in ANY state run agency.

Maybe they should change their slogan to: "EZ-Pass is not a god given right, it is a privilege that can be taken from you at ANY time without warning, Muhahahaaaa!!"

Hell, maybe they'll even start posting a "Wall Of Shame" on their website of people whose privileges have been revoked for life..with a "friendly" warning: "Don't let THIS happen to you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 AM

150 posts, read 646,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Also if you don't pay for a long enough period of time, your EZPass account is terminated. For life. With no chance of reinstatement. A friend of mine had to go to New York to get an EZPass after he received a lifetime ban from NJ for ignoring a payment notice.
Of course, I wouldn't let it come to that. I just paid $50 ... I would rather make up $150 from one of those deals from Chase of some other bank: 1. open a checking account, keep $1500 for six months, get $150 promotion, close the account after 6 months. 2. Repeat once a year Yes, it ties up $1500 for six months, but the opportunity cost of that is small; yes the $150 is taxable by IRS as 1099-INT, but a good deal.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,049 times
Default Gsp exact change tolls

I think the GSP is cheating drivers who go through the EXACT CHANGE toll booths. I think the NJ Turnpike Authority is collecting millions of dollars from drivers on the GSP (I can only speak of that road because it's the only one I travel on). You may wonder, why would you think this?

Well, in June 2014, I put $2.25 in the $.75 toll at Toms River, southbound. I had to put 3 sets of $.75 in the toll because the money would NOT register in the toll booth light. Eventually, I had to move on, but I did have 5 passengers who witnessed this irritating event. I told everyone there would be a ticket coming in the mail. One month later, a $50.00 ticket from Parkway with the choice of either paying the $.75 or challenging the ticket and risk being forced to pay $50.00.

All this for a toll booth that did not function. I opted to pay the $.75. So, for the past two months I have only used the toll booth lanes where there is a human being who could give me a printed receipt. I have many.

Unfortunately, the other day, I accidentally ended up in an EXACT CHANGE toll booth, this time traveling northbound at the Perth Amboy toll of $1.50. Some may think, how do you accidentally end up in that lane but I tell you, it was too late for me to turn around so I had to put 6 quarters in the toll booth. I slowly held up each quarter so the camera could see it, and then threw each quarter into the machine, separately. Guess what? The six quarters did NOT register. I parked my car right there in the toll booth lane. I requested assistance from the person collecting the money in the toll both next to mine. She called for a man out of the office building next to the toll booths.

He came out. I told him what happened. He peeked in the toll booth and said, "Looks like you only put $.75 in the machine." I told him that was wrong and he said to add the money. So, I hesitantly threw in seventy five more cents. Guess what? The money did not register.

I told him I did not want to get a ticket for this. He said 'You will not get a ticket."

Then Mr. Tollbooth supervisor man grabbed approximately 30 quarters lying at the bottom of the toll (these were coins that obviously did NOT make it into the machine and landed on the cement ledge below the plastic 'thing') and proceeded to throw about 4 dollars in the machine. Guess what? The money did NOT register.

I told him I did not want to get a ticket for this. He said 'You will not get a ticket." I said "Can you promise that?" Then Mr. Tollbooth supervisor man, with no expression, replied "When is the last time a man made you a promise and you actually believed him?" I was caught by surprise by this repulsive and sexist response that I could barely utter a full sentence. I asked him if there was a video of me tossing the coins into the toll booth receptacle, and he said no. Then he bent down, closed the toll booth lane, and said I would not get a ticket because the camera was now off.

I drove off. This is not the end of this story but I want people to read this and comment so I'll wait to write the rest. How many drivers have received the $50.00 ticket for a toll they paid? How much money is NJ making off of the drivers who use their toll roads?

I want to know.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafter456 View Post
I think the GSP is cheating drivers who go through the EXACT CHANGE toll booths. I think the NJ Turnpike Authority is collecting millions of dollars from drivers on the GSP (I can only speak of that road because it's the only one I travel on). You may wonder, why would you think this?

Well, in June 2014, I put $2.25 in the $.75 toll at Toms River, southbound. I had to put 3 sets of $.75 in the toll because the money would NOT register in the toll booth light. Eventually, I had to move on, but I did have 5 passengers who witnessed this irritating event. I told everyone there would be a ticket coming in the mail. One month later, a $50.00 ticket from Parkway with the choice of either paying the $.75 or challenging the ticket and risk being forced to pay $50.00.

All this for a toll booth that did not function. I opted to pay the $.75. So, for the past two months I have only used the toll booth lanes where there is a human being who could give me a printed receipt. I have many.

Unfortunately, the other day, I accidentally ended up in an EXACT CHANGE toll booth, this time traveling northbound at the Perth Amboy toll of $1.50. Some may think, how do you accidentally end up in that lane but I tell you, it was too late for me to turn around so I had to put 6 quarters in the toll booth. I slowly held up each quarter so the camera could see it, and then threw each quarter into the machine, separately. Guess what? The six quarters did NOT register. I parked my car right there in the toll booth lane. I requested assistance from the person collecting the money in the toll both next to mine. She called for a man out of the office building next to the toll booths.

He came out. I told him what happened. He peeked in the toll booth and said, "Looks like you only put $.75 in the machine." I told him that was wrong and he said to add the money. So, I hesitantly threw in seventy five more cents. Guess what? The money did not register.

I told him I did not want to get a ticket for this. He said 'You will not get a ticket."

Then Mr. Tollbooth supervisor man grabbed approximately 30 quarters lying at the bottom of the toll (these were coins that obviously did NOT make it into the machine and landed on the cement ledge below the plastic 'thing') and proceeded to throw about 4 dollars in the machine. Guess what? The money did NOT register.

I told him I did not want to get a ticket for this. He said 'You will not get a ticket." I said "Can you promise that?" Then Mr. Tollbooth supervisor man, with no expression, replied "When is the last time a man made you a promise and you actually believed him?" I was caught by surprise by this repulsive and sexist response that I could barely utter a full sentence. I asked him if there was a video of me tossing the coins into the toll booth receptacle, and he said no. Then he bent down, closed the toll booth lane, and said I would not get a ticket because the camera was now off.

I drove off. This is not the end of this story but I want people to read this and comment so I'll wait to write the rest. How many drivers have received the $50.00 ticket for a toll they paid? How much money is NJ making off of the drivers who use their toll roads?

I want to know.
You need to let it go.

(ps - get EZ Pass)

Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I've mentioned it before, the only way I know how to get the $50 fee waive is to add your car to an already active EZ Pass account The account holder can do this legally online.
Or you have him/her pull up the violation notice number while logged into their account and a screen comes up asking if you accept responsibility for tolls from that vehicle.

Any other way doesn't seem to cut it.

I hate automated everything to do with cars. Got a red light ticket a while back. You look at the video, it clearly shows I waited for the light to turn green. You think most working people are going to take a day or two off of work to fight a non point extortionist ticket?

Extortion by convenience, just another big tax scam.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Try logging on to their site with something other than Internet Explorer. I've had site that would not function with that browser and for that reason loaded Foxfire.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM

265 posts, read 597,191 times
I picked up my new car last year in Ramsey and proceeded home on the GSP, heading thru the EZ Pass lane. I didn't realize that I forgot to put my EZ Pass on the windshield until my ticket arrived in the mail.

I called EZ Pass and explained the situation. I politely said that I had been an EZ Pass customer for 10+ years and had a 100% clean record.

The clerk waived the ticket and fee, and I sent in a check for $1.00. No problem.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
same happened to me, just called them up and say u have ezpass, they will waive all fees.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,785 times
Default Oct. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafter456 View Post

I want to know.
In October 2014 I was visiting my nephew in New Jersey. I knew from before that the turnpike had various stops where you had to throw in quarters. I brought a plethora of quarters along for the trip. On this one particular stop I tossed in my six quarters and it did not register for me to drive through. I threw in several other quarters to no avail. There didn't appear to be any toll takers around. (at least none that I could reach without danger) The car behind me was beeping his horn and I was not sure what to do at this point. I went through the toll expecting to get a ticket even though I paid more than my toll. I had three witnesses in my truck. Now I get a ticket for $51.50 which seems tantamount to usury to me. There is only an automated phone so you have to deal with more machines. If I don't get any satisfaction from my dispute I won't be returning to NJ and will bring any future tourist dollars elsewhere.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyk View Post
In October 2014 I was visiting my nephew in New Jersey. I knew from before that the turnpike had various stops where you had to throw in quarters. I brought a plethora of quarters along for the trip. On this one particular stop I tossed in my six quarters and it did not register for me to drive through. I threw in several other quarters to no avail. There didn't appear to be any toll takers around. (at least none that I could reach without danger) The car behind me was beeping his horn and I was not sure what to do at this point. I went through the toll expecting to get a ticket even though I paid more than my toll. I had three witnesses in my truck. Now I get a ticket for $51.50 which seems tantamount to usury to me. There is only an automated phone so you have to deal with more machines. If I don't get any satisfaction from my dispute I won't be returning to NJ and will bring any future tourist dollars elsewhere.
Your threat of withholding future tourist dollars, posted on an informational board, has as much significance as your 3 witnesses.

Sorry, but you are SOL and the fine is mostly admin fee, plus the missed toll.

And I am guessing you mean the Parkway and not the Turnpike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey