Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 PM

166 posts, read 326,454 times

Advertisements

Elmwood park is next to Paterson one of the worst cities in NJ and it's just a congested mess up there.

Princeton is a beautiful town. Just go to google pictures and type in Princeton Nassau Street or Princeton Palmer Square.

Down in Princeton you are outside the chaos that is Northern NJ.

As many people mentioned a lot of areas, and other things use the Princeton name but aren't really in Princeton. They just want that cache but they are generally all in the surrounding Princeton Area.

You can't do that commute at all long term, even from an in between area.

If you were going to try the in between you could live in Westfield, NJ if you want a really trendy NJ town but it'll be expensive. If you want less trendy and want to live in the middle there is Cranford, NJ. If you want more of the woodsy vibe with lots of trees there is Berkeley Heights and the surrounding towns.

I hate to assume things but I'd say your husband's job pays more in the Princeton area. I'd probably take that job and live near Princeton and there are tons of companies in the Princeton area. Lots of Pharma companies and the like.

I'm sure there are more than just what this link says below. There is also Johnson and Johnson and Bristol Meyers in New Brunswick, NJ which is just 12 miles up route 1 from princeton. There are also a lot of companies within 20 miles of Princeton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...on,_New_Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,425 times
Thanks again for all the above posts!

So it is probably a good idea to just take the offer at Princeton. We'll think about it.

Another thing is that, I am not sure if I should open a new thread, is it better to make the move or stay in Houston Texas?
Both of us are bio medical professionals and both of us have jobs in Houston, eventhough the pay is not much. The new job does have higher pay but considering the state tax etc. how much higher is worth the move?
Another factor we consider is the education.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by difflife View Post

So it is probably a good idea to just take the offer at Princeton. We'll think about it.

Another thing is that, I am not sure if I should open a new thread, is it better to make the move or stay in Houston Texas?
Both of us are bio medical professionals and both of us have jobs in Houston, eventhough the pay is not much. The new job does have higher pay but considering the state tax etc. how much higher is worth the move?
Use a cost-of-living comparison tool. Google for one.

If you don't take the job in Elmwood Park, you will need to live on one salary.
How long can you do that? Do you have enough of a reserve?
What if worse case, you are not able to find a job for a year. Can you live on one salary?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,220 times
Default Relocating...

Quote:
Hi all,
My husband and I are moving to NJ. He got a job offer at Princeton area and I got one at Elmwood park area. We have two kids. This will be a huge thing for our family to relocate from TX to NJ.

We have two questions that really need suggestions and comments on the board.
1) Is it possible to commute 50miles everyday along Gardenstate Turnpike? How long does it takes usually?
2) Where should we buy house, near Princeton area or Elmwood park area or in the middle, considering best school district and relative lower housing price/property tax?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Princeton to Elmwood Park daily on the Garden State Parkway???? Hell no! Even if you buy a house in the middle be prepared for a nightmare of a commute to and from Elmwood Park up the Parkway!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,220 times
Default Pay may not be worth the move....

Quote:

Unless the pay is AT LEAST two thirds higher, and I would actually say in reality it has to be almost double, then I say no it's not worth it. You have to make substantially more here to afford a home, the property taxes, and the state income tax. Also if you decide to drive up the Parkway there are tolls each way you will be paying at $1.50 a hit. This is not a state people are coming to, it's a state people are leaving because of the cost of living. Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
These are philosophical questions only you and your family can answer ("should we...?" questions). Plenty have done so and done great, others have done so and regretted it. Unfortunately, there is not a "Magic 8 Ball" answer about whether someone should move somewhere that fits all situations

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM

880 posts, read 1,250,866 times
Pharma and other large companies have been steadily exiting NJ. Please research this - this state used to be one of the best for this field, but I think it's changing. I would ask this on professional boards.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,919 times
Many homes for sale in East Brunswick . It is central. Main city bus terminal and Turnpike and many shops are around this area.
This is in the middle of both towns....??

Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
I relocated from SW Houston (Sugar Land) back in 1998 to Northern New Jersey. Granted, I was in a different situation than you are now as I was younger and single. All I have to say is that the cost of living difference is HUGE. Much more than I originally anticipated. Do not underestimate the impact on your family and lives. It also varies quite a bit from area to area in NJ. A while back, I ran the numbers through some COL calculators and none seem to be quite right.

I'm not the only one. My neighbors across the street several years ago and mentioned the same thing. Both are advanced degree professionals explained that they had to go through a bit of a lifestyle downgrade (old home vs new, lesser quality vehicles, less vacations etc). Granted they got caught up in the middle of the housing bubble and I get the feeling the relocation was brought on by corporate changes.

I highly recommend renting first to determine where exactly is the ideal balance between cost and location (keep an eye on schools) before investing in a home. I found home shopping is a bit more complex in Northern NJ. The areas right next to each other vary quite a bit. You can have two schools in the same municipality but one is very good and one is not so great. You can have a very nice safe area right next to an area that is not so great. etc. I'm not sure if this is the same for South and Central NJ though....

Rent... take you time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey