U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM

150 posts, read 608,947 times

Advertisements

I had been told that in all residential areas built before a certain year, USPS delivers mails at the door steps. But in all newer residential areas, they deliver mail by curbside only. In really new, dense developments, they have "apartment-style" multiple-mailboxes all together for a given block.

Recently I moved to a new neighborhood, and the situation is weird -- on the same street, with houses of the same approximate age, some have mailboxes by curbside, and some have it on porch. The home I purchased, the previous owner had a curbside mailbox. Can I remove it, and have a mailbox on porch, and would USPS deliver my mail?

Yes, I should ask the post office, I would, but wanted to get some quick opinions here...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,797,236 times
Ask the post office! Their opinion is the only that counts.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM

10,067 posts, read 17,614,358 times
I live in a neighborhood with mailboxes by the door, but one of my neighbors put up a curbside box. Odd, I guess he didn't want the mailman coming to the door.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,269,383 times
Eventually it is going to be all curbside. Then centralized mailbox "annexes". The post office is dying and the only way to cut costs is to make it possible for the postal carriers to do more with less. As far as the mail goes the numbers are actually pretty compelling and interesting.

"The amount of money that could be saved by changing modes of delivery is considerable. The Postal Service currently spends about $25 billion to deliver mail to more than 150 million homes and businesses. The average annual costs for city delivery are $353 for door delivery, $224 for curbside, and about $160 for centralized. For rural delivery, the costs are $278, $176, and $126, respectively.

A study on “Modes of Delivery” done by the USPS OIG showed that the Postal Service could save more than $4.5 billion a year by shifting 35 million homes and businesses from door-to-door to curbside. It could save another $2.8 billion by shifting 52 million homes and businesses from curbside to a cluster boxes. If the door-to-door delivery points were shifted to centralized instead of curbside, it would save another $2.2 billion.

Congress seems ready to go along with the conversion plan. Congressman Darrel Issa’s proposed legislation already has a provision pushing centralized delivery, and Senator Tom Carper says Issa’s idea to shift mail delivery from door delivery to cluster boxes may be included in some manner in the final bill."

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 AM

312 posts, read 634,790 times
I just moved to a neighborhood with porch delivery. One thing I noticed is that they won't take any outgoing mail from your box. Does anyone with porch delivery know how to indicate to the mail carrier to take the outgoing mail?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM

31,773 posts, read 37,284,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Eventually it is going to be all curbside. Then centralized mailbox "annexes". The post office is dying and the only way to cut costs is to make it possible for the postal carriers to do more with less. As far as the mail goes the numbers are actually pretty compelling and interesting.

"The amount of money that could be saved by changing modes of delivery is considerable. The Postal Service currently spends about $25 billion to deliver mail to more than 150 million homes and businesses. The average annual costs for city delivery are $353 for door delivery, $224 for curbside, and about $160 for centralized. For rural delivery, the costs are $278, $176, and $126, respectively.

A study on “Modes of Delivery” done by the USPS OIG showed that the Postal Service could save more than $4.5 billion a year by shifting 35 million homes and businesses from door-to-door to curbside. It could save another $2.8 billion by shifting 52 million homes and businesses from curbside to a cluster boxes. If the door-to-door delivery points were shifted to centralized instead of curbside, it would save another $2.2 billion.

Congress seems ready to go along with the conversion plan. Congressman Darrel Issa’s proposed legislation already has a provision pushing centralized delivery, and Senator Tom Carper says Issa’s idea to shift mail delivery from door delivery to cluster boxes may be included in some manner in the final bill."
they should give everyone a box in the post office and if you want delivery you pay for that service.

I change my mind. cutting the costs on the customer service end isn't really where they need to cut. so if they want to do what I suggest, they should also cut the price of stamps accordingly.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-14-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they should give everyone a box in the post office and if you want delivery you pay for that service.

I change my mind. cutting the costs on the customer service end isn't really where they need to cut. so if they want to do what I suggest, they should also cut the price of stamps accordingly.
Alternately, I would be OK with having mail delivered to my home just 2x a week. When was the last time I received a mail that needed immediate attention??

Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM

31,773 posts, read 37,284,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Alternately, I would be OK with having mail delivered to my home just 2x a week. When was the last time I received a mail that needed immediate attention??
I also think that's a great cost saving idea. I don't need daily mail. anyone fighting to maintain 6 day a week mail has an ulterior motive or they are just dumb and selfish.

the problem that hit me after I made my initial post was that I believe the postal service is viable based on their regular operations. its their pension expense that puts them in the red. so they could cut their employee costs instead of cutting their level of service. I guess the compromise is to do some of both. I believe they have cut tons of jobs, im not sure what they have cut from per worker/retiree costs.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 AM

My post office will NOT deliver the mail if there was a car parked a few feet away from my curbside mailbox. Again, a "few feet away", not right in front of the mailbox that will prevent them from stopping right in front of the mailbox.

Porch-side deliver is an unnecessary luxury especially when it costs significantly more than curbside and there is not much to be gained by the home owner.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

17,716 posts, read 21,995,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
I just moved to a neighborhood with porch delivery. One thing I noticed is that they won't take any outgoing mail from your box. Does anyone with porch delivery know how to indicate to the mail carrier to take the outgoing mail?

It is not a good idea to leave outgoing mail in your mailbox, as many people have had checks stolen this way, as well as other items that could result in a loss of money, or even lead to identity theft. Yes, it is also possible for incoming mail to be stolen, but I take care of that by using a curbside mailbox with a lock. And, I take all of my outgoing mail to the P.O.

I suggest that you take your outgoing mail to the post office. The extra effort is worthwhile in the long run, IMHO.

On the topic of identity protection...

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Have-...ity?&id=155426
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>