Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,620 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any counties in NJ where the kindergarten cutoff date is Nov 30th instead of Sep 1st or Sept 30th or Oct 1st.

My son's DOB is Nov 2nd 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Someone just asked this question a week or so ago, only they wanted a December 31 date. It doesn't go by county.

Very few schools have cutoff dates past October 1.

Not the one I was thinking of, but here's another:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...e-pre-k-k.html

Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM

167 posts, read 310,716 times
Don't look for a county with a cut off date of Nov 30 because you think your child is bright or because you don't want to pay for day care.

I graduated HS at 16 and started college just turning 17. While I did fine in elementary school because I stayed in a class with other children in the same situation (able to skip a grade because we were "smart"). In HS we were combined with all the students so many were a year old, things started to change we weren't so smart and in many ways immature. I did ok because there were still many in the same situation. College it started to show even more because there was no one as young as I was.

My husband lived in a town where the cut off was late. To this day his mother says how wrong that was. Of course that was a different time when parents sent their kids to school at 4. Today most parents give their children the extra year. Meaning your child will be going to school with children a year older.

My cousin lived in a town with a late cut off. After kindergarten her teacher recommended she repeat K her mother refused. She struggled.

The problem is you never know how it will affect your child further down the road. It could be a question of does your child go to college or not.

As a former pre-school teacher we recommended most children with a late birthday not start school and take the extra year.

Read up before you decide there are books out their.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Our cutoff is October 15th not a day later,no petition, no test, no exceptions. Our 4 year old has to wait another year too. We have her in the most highly regarded Pre K program in the area and her teacher tells us that she is not only the smartest kid in the class but also the most mature. She said she is not just ready for Kindergarten but she would easily be at the top of the class, she even went s far as to recommend private school. We are still keeping her in preschool another year.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
You will find many parents hold their child (especially boys) back a year. I was shocked when I found out 95% of the boys at my son's school were a year older than him.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
Don't look for a county with a cut off date of Nov 30 because you think your child is bright or because you don't want to pay for day care.

I graduated HS at 16 and started college just turning 17. While I did fine in elementary school because I stayed in a class with other children in the same situation (able to skip a grade because we were "smart"). In HS we were combined with all the students so many were a year old, things started to change we weren't so smart and in many ways immature. I did ok because there were still many in the same situation. College it started to show even more because there was no one as young as I was.

My husband lived in a town where the cut off was late. To this day his mother says how wrong that was. Of course that was a different time when parents sent their kids to school at 4. Today most parents give their children the extra year. Meaning your child will be going to school with children a year older.

My cousin lived in a town with a late cut off. After kindergarten her teacher recommended she repeat K her mother refused. She struggled.

The problem is you never know how it will affect your child further down the road. It could be a question of does your child go to college or not.

As a former pre-school teacher we recommended most children with a late birthday not start school and take the extra year.

Read up before you decide there are books out their.
Great points, I feel the same way.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,840 times
Individual school districts set cut-off dates, basically for 6 yr olds. Believe it or not, Kindergarten is not mandatory in NJ. Those districts which offer it, base age on the 6 yr old cut-off date, and many private schools in their districts follow that standard - though they are not required to.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM

167 posts, read 310,716 times
[quote=tdstyles;33019621]Our cutoff is October 15th not a day later,no petition, no test, no exceptions. Our 4 year old has to wait another year too. We have her in the most highly regarded Pre K program in the area and her teacher tells us that she is not only the smartest kid in the class but also the most mature. She said she is not just ready for Kindergarten but she would easily be at the top of the class, she even went s far as to recommend private school. We are still keeping her in preschool another year.[/quote]

Smart parents. Good for your child. Not always an easy decision when you have teachers telling you how smart your child is.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 22,828 times
Springfield- Dec 1
Marlboro- Dec 31

We moved to Springfield in part bc of the cutoff. Our daughter is also in Nov. Also they have all day K.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM

64 posts, read 134,086 times
If your kid is smart enough, let him go. I am so thankful that we started my son (September birthday) when he was 4. He started at UCLA this year. Obviously that is an n of 1, but most of his friends at college are on the young side. If your kid is smart, holding them back will lead to bad habits if they are on the older side on top of being smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey