Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times

Advertisements

Just be lucky if you can make it to 60 ! The way things are going i keep hearing more and more people dying around the ages of 50 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Jersey has Five military bases vs. two for Kentucky, it's not the military, it's that NJ has one of the highest income averages in the US which results in more federal taxes. These taxes are then redistributed across the US, more unfairly than fair.

Red States don't pay any income taxes and have low property taxes, then go cry poor mouth to get major projects built.
since you seem to have the information...what's the size of NJ's military bases, and the size of Kentucky's? Does Kentucky have any other sort of defense-related spending? I wasn't speaking about just Kentucky though, I was speaking more broadly about the makeup of some of those states that take more dollars than they send.

I'd also wonder, how much of NJ's average income is from the extreme outliers that a state like NJ has where others don't? You know what I mean. Averages can be deceiving.

I'm not disagreeing with the entire idea, I'm just saying, there's more to the story than is generally portrayed.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The age for retirement for new teachers is 65. Have you read the various pension tiers or are you just basing what you say on things you heard?
so the other poster was in the navy, and thinks veterans should be given those lucrative benefits but not firefighters, cops, or teachers. it's kinda funny how things work. i'm neither a firefighter, cop, teacher, or veteran, and I think they all deserve good benefits for the public sacrifices they make. sure, those sacrifices aren't identical, but for a productive society, each one of their jobs is necessary. that's the foundation of benefits for public workers to attract people into those lines of work.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Everyone needs to be treated equally , a job is a job regardless of what you do and there shouldnt be any special benefits for anyone. Once your retired then you should be retired , not double and triple dipping . The people running this state are a bunch of idiots and corrupt . There needs to be new political laws and terms. There needs to be a huge reform on spending with education and services.

NJ should be a surplus state, just from the tolls alone that we collect should make lots of money. We have millions and millions of people paying tolls daily , and think about those toll booths going to NY , those are not cheap at all.

Then what about the state tax income ? Plus we have the highest property taxes too ?

If you cant see whats wrong with this picture then you must be surely blind.

NJ has a VERY big presence in military actually , i dont know exactly how much but we have lots of it here along with the DHS. The military shouldnt have anything to do with anything.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Everyone needs to be treated equally , a job is a job regardless of what you do and there shouldnt be any special benefits for anyone. Once your retired then you should be retired , not double and triple dipping . The people running this state are a bunch of idiots and corrupt . There needs to be new political laws and terms. There needs to be a huge reform on spending with education and services.

NJ should be a surplus state, just from the tolls alone that we collect should make lots of money. We have millions and millions of people paying tolls daily , and think about those toll booths going to NY , those are not cheap at all.

Then what about the state tax income ? Plus we have the highest property taxes too ?

If you cant see whats wrong with this picture then you must be surely blind.

NJ has a VERY big presence in military actually , i dont know exactly how much but we have lots of it here along with the DHS. The military shouldnt have anything to do with anything.
"lots of money"? you know the toll booths going into NY are run by the Port Authority, which is a joint organization between NJ and NY, right?

Maybe look into some of the actual figures...

Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
"lots of money"? you know the toll booths going into NY are run by the Port Authority, which is a joint organization between NJ and NY, right?

Maybe look into some of the actual figures...
Yea i know it is ... So your telling me the MILLIONS of people that go into NY from the GWB paying 14 bucks and thats for cars , what about multiple axles ? You dont think they make $$$$$$ daily ? What about the Holland and Lincoln tunnels? There is another i am missing too , i think the one for PA.

I find it funny how you can excuse it .

Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Yea i know it is ... So your telling me the MILLIONS of people that go into NY from the GWB paying 14 bucks and thats for cars , what about multiple axles ? You dont think they make $$$$$$ daily ? What about the Holland and Lincoln tunnels? There is another i am missing too , i think the one for PA.

I find it funny how you can excuse it .
I didn't excuse it.

GWB with EZ Pass is $11 ($10 on a motorcycle) and off peak is $9 and $8. Cash is $13. There's a car-pool rate of $5. The GWB is currently undergoing a $1B repair job that started in 2011, and a seperate $82M project to repair the upper level started in 2013.

In 2006, daily revenue from tolls was about $1M, and tolls for cars were $6 cash, $5 EZPass. Public Transit ridership has increased quite substantially since 2006, but even if you assume that daily volume is about the same, assuming everyone paid a $6 toll in 2006 means that today if everyone paid the $13 toll daily revenue would be $2,166,667. that means it will take 461.5 days to pay for the $1B repair to the suspension cables, assuming no other maintenance expenses.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I didn't excuse it.

GWB with EZ Pass is $11 ($10 on a motorcycle) and off peak is $9 and $8. Cash is $13. There's a car-pool rate of $5. The GWB is currently undergoing a $1B repair job that started in 2011, and a seperate $82M project to repair the upper level started in 2013.

In 2006, daily revenue from tolls was about $1M, and tolls for cars were $6 cash, $5 EZPass. Public Transit ridership has increased quite substantially since 2006, but even if you assume that daily volume is about the same, assuming everyone paid a $6 toll in 2006 means that today if everyone paid the $13 toll daily revenue would be $2,166,667. that means it will take 461.5 days to pay for the $1B repair to the suspension cables, assuming no other maintenance expenses.
So if i told you the sky was made of gold you would believe me ? But you keep forgetting ALL the other tolls, bridges, and tunnels. Politics pick and choose who gets the contracts unless you think thats false too .
What has been going on in NJ is NOT acceptable by any means and if it dont stop soon NJ will be the new Detroit soon.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:40 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I'm happy that this story gets some national attention. Maybe the people who run the government of NJ can now be put under a microscope, and start being forced to explain what it is they can do to correct this situation, which has been mounting for decades. Maybe the voting public will also wake up, and start retiring these life long ineffective career politicians in Trenton, and replace them with some new blood.
I seriously doubt it. It's too easy to cloud the waters with the blame game and turn people's focus against each other (dems vs. republicans) vs. people joining together to vote these clowns out once and for all. I know that there are reasons why the two-party system are good, but in this aspect it is a double-edged sword.

Where does the fury really go? Into discussions like this one on internet forums and the comment sections of news articles, and occasionally someone will write a fiery letter to the editor that draws attention but I feel that it's not enough to draw people away from their daily routine. Independent thinkers are often thought of rogues and radicals and largely ignored when they try to bring some momentum to ideas of any large-scale change. I get the feeling that people don't like change, or the unknown, so it's better to be complacent with the devil you know and hope that there is benevolence from time to time.

It's a bit frightening, really, and it reminds me of the analogy of cooking lobsters in a pot beginning with cold water. We often don't realize how hot it's getting until someone else tells us so...

Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
The voters of the state are to blame. And now that they have voted in officials and for policies that have put NJ in a very bad financial condition, they start pointing fingers. It's sad that the voters want accountability out of their politicians, but don't take any accountability for the votes they cast. It is indicative of the society as a whole. Everyone blames someone else nowadays. It's easier than to look in the mirror and say, "I did this. I helped create this problem. I voted for these people and policies that broke our state."

Question: Will the voters of NJ make it better or worse going forward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey