Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Here's a good read:
you probably have a lot of poor women that need to go back to work while a lot of wealthy women stay home so they have more opportunity to breastfeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
...breast feeding is one of those things that is a religious belief for many people. its about faith and believing.
In what faith is breastfeeding NOT encouraged?? I understand about modesty but that doesn't mean no breast feeding.

My ex wife had a horrible time trying to breast feed. She simply couldn't produce enough. Then she got depressed about it and produced even less. So, my son was mostly a formula baby from day 2 of his life. That combined with many GI issues, I was spending over $100/month just in formula.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
In what faith is breastfeeding NOT encouraged?? I understand about modesty but that doesn't mean no breast feeding.

My ex wife had a horrible time trying to breast feed. She simply couldn't produce enough. Then she got depressed about it and produced even less. So, my son was mostly a formula baby from day 2 of his life. That combined with many GI issues, I was spending over $100/month just in formula.
I was saying it was a faith of its own. im not saying any religion discourages it.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
well i would agree with that. why don't poor people just breastfeed. if they stay home then that is a valid question. if they work then there is your answer.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I was recently in a Rite Aid that had deodorant locked up. Go figure.
At my local Rite Aide they're under their a plastic flap. When you lift it, it makes the most annoying sound. The non prescription cold medicine is in a similar casing. I guess baby items, deodorant, and meds are getting stolen.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Theft of infant formula is not new, it has been going on for years and organized crime is behind much.

Yes, the stuff is stolen for resale to those that cannot or will not pay full retail cost, but infant formula is also used to cut heroin and methamphetamine.

Baby formula is staple of theft rings - USATODAY.com

Baby Formula Targeted by Organized Retail Theft Rings - ABC News

Rise in Baby Formula Thefts Hits St. Louis Area « CBS St. Louis
Vineland Police: Walmart baby formula thefts possibly related | NJ.com

Lather, rinse, and repeat. You only have to plug in key words "infant, formula, theft" to any search engine to find pages and pages of reports.

Other popular bulk thefts? Tide laundry detergent (for the same reasons as infant formula)How Tide Detergent Became a Drug Currency -- New York Magazine

and OTC cold, flu and allergy medicines.

That explains why it's under lock and key in most places.

Also, I think a lot of this theft is employees. Almost everyone I know who worked at Shop Rite, and stole, took baby products. I think fruit is common for employees to steal.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
At my local Rite Aide they're under their a plastic flap. When you lift it, it makes the most annoying sound. The non prescription cold medicine is in a similar casing. I guess baby items, deodorant, and meds are getting stolen.
Have seen persons walking out of local Rite Aid or Duane Read shops with diapers or infant formula. Sometimes store security is in hot pursuit, others the thief makes a quick get away undetected.

Think those that have not been through it have no idea how expensive diapers and formula are, also how fast those costs mount. Top five item on any baby show/registry wish list I've seen for years now is diapers, and perhaps formula. Heaven help a new mom/family if the baby requires a special type of formula, for they usually are expensive.

In our family/circle of friends everyone will usually club together to help with one or the other if required.

Back in the day hospitals, pediatrician's office and a few other places were good sources for freebies, but today much of that has been cut back. Those huge going home kits for new moms that hospitals used to give away often have dwindled.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
well i would agree with that. why don't poor people just breastfeed. if they stay home then that is a valid question. if they work then there is your answer.
Breast milk is only as good as the source. If the mother is not eating a healthy diet and or engages in risky health behavior (smoking, drinking, drugs, etc...) then formula may be a better choice.

Then there is the living situation overall, anyone who saw the film "Precious" knows where one is going on that score.

Finally breast feeding does take a physical toll on women. Just look at the often worn out women of our grandmothers, and great grandmothers days (as well as before) of females with bodies literally worn out from repeated childbirth and breast feeding. The production of breast milk requires resources from a woman's body; if they are not replenished she will suffer.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

267 posts, read 352,157 times
somepeople can't breast feed. their bodies just dont prodcue enough milk to provide nourishment for a baby. It's out of some peoples hands

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have seen persons walking out of local Rite Aid or Duane Read shops with diapers or infant formula. Sometimes store security is in hot pursuit, others the thief makes a quick get away undetected.

Think those that have not been through it have no idea how expensive diapers and formula are, also how fast those costs mount. Top five item on any baby show/registry wish list I've seen for years now is diapers, and perhaps formula. Heaven help a new mom/family if the baby requires a special type of formula, for they usually are expensive.

In our family/circle of friends everyone will usually club together to help with one or the other if required.

Back in the day hospitals, pediatrician's office and a few other places were good sources for freebies, but today much of that has been cut back. Those huge going home kits for new moms that hospitals used to give away often have dwindled.

I've noticed it, too. I think it's tacky. Um, I don't have any children. I'm not buying your child diapers. That's part of being a parent. Also, how do they know what brand/size will fit them? Same as you said for formula. I've never seen that a registry (yet). What's next a college fund being on the baby shower registry? I mean, if you can't afford a child it's not your guest's responsibility. I'm a bit jaded, because I have a lot of friends and family members who have a baby shower for every baby. I'm not talking clothes or things. Asking for a new crib when the first/previous child is not using the old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey