Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,036,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Possibly because he's in his 20s and SB is a boring-ass bedroom community with zip to do?
But he would be spending whatever money may be saved on rent in New Brunswick on gas using Rte. 1 to get to and from work? Additionally, he would have the added hassle of trying to rummage through the many illegal sublets in New Brunswick and non-inspected rentals that get closed down each year. Sorry, but that's bad advice.

It would make far more sense to live in South Brunswick, gain the experience of life among adults while still being able to head up to New Brunswick whenever he wishes to enjoy being with the range of wildlife up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
But he would be spending whatever money may be saved on rent in New Brunswick on gas using Rte. 1 to get to and from work? Additionally, he would have the added hassle of trying to rummage through the many illegal sublets in New Brunswick and non-inspected rentals that get closed down each year. Sorry, but that's bad advice.

It would make far more sense to live in South Brunswick, gain the experience of life among adults while still being able to head up to New Brunswick whenever he wishes to enjoy being with the range of wildlife up there.
Two things:

- SB is like 5 miles away. Not much gas spent compared to most commutes.
- You're only in your 20s once. He'll have plenty of time from 30-something to death to be a "responsible" adult and die slowly in the 'burbs thinking about all the great times he had banging Rutgers co-eds he met in the Court Tavern.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Two things:

- SB is like 5 miles away. Not much gas spent compared to most commutes.
- You're only in your 20s once. He'll have plenty of time from 30-something to death to be a "responsible" adult and die slowly in the 'burbs thinking about all the great times he had banging Rutgers co-eds he met in the Court Tavern.

Well, Monmouth Junction is actually 12 miles one way from New Brunswick. Running 120 miles per week in Rte. 1 traffic vs. 24 miles for a Friday night, all day Saturday, and most of Sunday? Even my 20 year old self would prefer the weekend ride to the daily grind. Honestly, I have been doing this for 17 years and the only thing that has changed in the level of intensity of that rush hour commute. Of course gas prices have spiked over the years. Currently $3.15 over at Valero on Rte. 1.

I totally agree that each person is only in their 20s once. And I agree hanging out with Rutgers coeds at any of the bars is a great opportunity that no one should miss, especially guys. But those ladies are wise enough to know they do not go back to a guy's pad unless there is more to that relationship. The one night stands take place where they feel comfortable.

Ultimately the call is his to make.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM

166 posts, read 325,704 times
If you are in your mid to young 20s live in New Brunswick. Whoever is saying to live in MJ to save some gas?! What! You'll be able to walk to the bars in New Brunswick and not worry about driving after boozing. You can easily meet a girl that lives in town and dating will be easier. After work you can easily grab drinks in New Brunswick and walk home. 12 miles of a commute is a breeze.

Lots of people stay in New Brunswick after college so there will be people there your age. Not to mention if you do meet say a senior or a grad student all the better. She'll appreciate that you can take her out since you have a job. Living in the burbs is such an 80's concept.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
If you are in your mid to young 20s live in New Brunswick. Whoever is saying to live in MJ to save some gas?! What! You'll be able to walk to the bars in New Brunswick and not worry about driving after boozing. You can easily meet a girl that lives in town and dating will be easier. After work you can easily grab drinks in New Brunswick and walk home. 12 miles of a commute is a breeze.

Lots of people stay in New Brunswick after college so there will be people there your age. Not to mention if you do meet say a senior or a grad student all the better. She'll appreciate that you can take her out since you have a job. Living in the burbs is such an 80's concept.
Have you done the commute NB to MJ in the mornings and the reverse in the evening? If so, I'd love to know the times when it was "a breeze." My experience on any given day heading from an overnight (leaving about 6-7 AM) at Rutgers to go home or up for an overnight (around 5-6 PM) is quite different. Those times are rife with lots of stop-and-go traffic starting in North Brunswick and through South Brunswick either way. My normal travel time is between 20 to 30 minutes.

The OP is saying he is going to be on a "tight budget" in a "Graduate entry-level position." I can only surmise the salary is going to be somewhere around $30 to 40k.

In New Brunswick, your average rental is going to be anywhere between $1025 and $1850 per month. That works out to between $12.3 and 22.2k a year. In Monmouth Junction, rents are currently going between $1000 to $1425 or 12k and 17k. Adding in the gas, even if we were assuming a hybrid, we are still looking at between $45 and 50 a month if living in NB as opposed to the same amounts every two months in MJ. Between the rentals and gas alone we are looking at a difference of between $1,000 to $5k.

To the OP:

If social life is the most important thing, absolutely live in New Brunswick, just keep it close to campus and you absolutely will have a blast. If the concern is finances and maximizing how you can make an effort to save some money, I'd suggest looking at Monmouth Junction. Ultimately, the call is yours. Best wishes for success!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,516,157 times
Based off these comments -- maybe he should just stay in San Diego!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
RUNNY - 20-30 mins is nothing in NJ. And depending upon where he works in SB he might be able avoid 1 altogether.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times
My first question is, what kind of lifestyle are you looking to lead. Monmouth Junction is a bit elderly for you in my opinion. I would advise you live either in Princeton (if you have a high budget), or in New Brunswick (More reasonable budget). I have to tell you though, I feel that New Brunswick has a much higher concentration of youth who might suit your lifestyle. There is a running trail Right across the Route 27 Bridge along the Raritan, you get a more active Nightlife, and a diverse bunch of youngsters. However, the town itself may feel a bit claustrophobic, coming from southern Cal. If you might feel uncomfortable with that, you can Rent an apartment in North Village (North Brunswick) with regular bus service to New Brunswick (the 814) for fun activities. This region caters more towards single workers as opposed to College kids, so I advice you to check it out as well if you want to stay on budget and have fun.

RU starts tomorrow (and traffic will shoot up as usual). Expect to see wide fluctuations in population depending on college times. Winter Weather is Fantastic. Our typical daytime weather here is 30-40 F and overcast with chances of snow. We will get dumped with lots of it from time to time, so be prepared to bring a snow board for fun . Oh, and Remember, Scraper, Deicer, and Shovel must be in your car at all times. FINALLY, MAKE SURE YOUR APARTMENT HAS GOOD A/C, BECAUSE SUMMERS HERE ARE VERY HOT COMPARED TO So. CAL.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 AM

7 posts, read 11,908 times
A big thank you to all the contributors. I was busy with a short term project in los Angeles but given that I have already accepted the offer in NJ I hope to be moving to one of your suggested locations by the end of this month.

A few additional details for some final comments here:

1. I will be making close to 60k but still, given my preliminary research, I would prefer shared accommodation for financial purposes. Any ideas regarding that?

2. Social life is definitely very high on my priority list given I am entering my mid 20s now and therefore want to make the most of them.

3. I have a few close friends in NYC so what is the easiest and cheapest way of getting to NYC from any of the discussed locations and how long is the commute?

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I hope this thread helps more people than just me as it is slowly turning into a Brunswick/princeton moving guide.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Based on the additional comments you've made, yes, New Brunswick is the option.

Shared accommodations are certainly an option. Depending on your own interests, you may want to make sure your roommates - and neighbors - are going to be somewhat close in the same timeframe for getting up and sleeping. However, do be aware of the contracts involved. There are just enough shysters that rent out their own buildings with lots of legalese to have resters stumble over. Generally, however, there are enough quality locations that you can find which will work out nicely. I'd suggest doing your search and putting up links to the ones you find that you like so we can take look-sees also and give you insight as to the areas of the city and what works and what doesn't.

As others have mentioned, New Brunswick has an active social life throughout the areas of Easton Avenue, George Street, and several ethnic areas as well.

Into NYC, the easiest route is by train to and from New Brunswick. Pricing is $26 round trip. Coach USA, formerly known as Suburban Transit, is the bus route that you pick up across from the train station. Cost round trip is $19.70 regardless of the line you take.

Hope this will give you a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey