Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 20,532 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in sort of same situation. Moving to NJ and my husband will be working in Lower Manhattan, Water street. I am looking for a two bedroom apartment in a quiet neighborhood. Budget of $1500-$1800. We have a toddler so definitely need a safe neighborhood.
I was looking at Rahway, Hackensack, Waterfront area in Jersey city. How is the commute like from these cities. My husband will be using mass transit. Any other good suburban areas within an hr commute to lower manhattan?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandish View Post
Hi,

I am in sort of same situation. Moving to NJ and my husband will be working in Lower Manhattan, Water street. I am looking for a two bedroom apartment in a quiet neighborhood. Budget of $1500-$1800. We have a toddler so definitely need a safe neighborhood.
I was looking at Rahway, Hackensack, Waterfront area in Jersey city. How is the commute like from these cities. My husband will be using mass transit. Any other good suburban areas within an hr commute to lower manhattan?
Thanks.
1800 for a two bedroom on the waterfront in JC will be impossible most likely. Probably impossible anywhere downtown. im not that familiar with the other locations so i will let others chime in.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM

Thanks pinkydapimp. Can u suggest any suburbs in NJ or NY, good for family and 1 hr commute to lower manhattan? I can be flexible on the rent.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Thanks pinkydapimp. Can u suggest any suburbs in NJ or NY, good for family and 1 hr commute to lower manhattan? I can be flexible on the rent.

Do you plan to still be living there when your child starts school?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Rutherford. More suburban, and the last stop on the Bergen County line before Secaucus Junction and Hoboken Terminal. Your husband would take the train to Hoboken and then PATH to the World Trade Center and then have about a ten-minute walk to Water Street.

Rutherford to Hoboken is about 20 minutes. PATH Hoboken to WTC is about 11 minutes. You need a little time in there to make connections and then the walk to Water, but he'll still be there in under an hour.

Also would suggest Fair Lawn. Larger town, lots of activities, another 20 minutes further out on the same train line.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Do you plan to still be living there when your child starts school?
No, we will be here just for a year and my kid is only 18 months old now. I might send him to a pre school at some point.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Commuting from NJ to Water Street can be a lot of switching trains, or switching at Hoboken to the Ferry.

Water Street is all the way at the southern edge of Manhattan.

If you're taking NJ Transit train than you're taking it to Hoboken or Newark & then PATH to WTC & then a subway or long walk. Or, getting a ferry at Hoboken.

You could go to NY Penn & subway to Water St.

You might live somewhere with an express bus that goes from the town to downtown Manhattan.

Take a look at www.njtransit.com to see what lines stop in which towns & the cost.

Think about living closer to the city & saving time & money on commuting. Can you raise your rental budget at all?

Do you really need a two-bedroom if it's only for one year? At that age little ones end up crawling into the parents bed half the time anyway. LOL You can put the crib / bed in your bedroom, or in a corner of the living room.

Living closer will get you 2 hours or more per day to spend with your family.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 50,221 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
check downtown rahway, those new pats are BEAUTIFUL

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM

149 posts, read 349,151 times
I second Rutherford. I lived there for about a year and commuted into lower Manhattan (Cortlandt St.) Anywho, depending on where you live in town, you could walk to the Rutherford Train Station, hop the train to Hoboken and then transfer to the PATH. It is a ONE HOUR total commute.

or, you could take the 160 bus (i think that was the bus number?) out of East Rutherford into Port Authority. There's a few bus lines that run down Union Ave in Rutherford (regular Rutherford), not sure to/where they go- assuming Port Auth.

Rutherford is really nice town to live in, they have a quaint and walkable downtown with cute restaurants too. They are a dry town, with BYOB at most restaurants. I really really really liked living there. alot.

Rahway's schools are garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey