Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:04 PM

173 posts, read 657,469 times

Advertisements

Please consider Cranford. The town is very family friendly. The kids still play like kids here, and there is no "rat race" mentality here. Schools are absolutely top notch, parents are involved, and the town has a town center so there is an overall community feel here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
If you want to avoid the "rat race" and be in a good school system, you have to get out of NJ.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 AM

400 posts, read 793,562 times
I'm a little late to the original posting, but since it's open again, I wanted I say my thoughts on going to a school in the rat race.
I grew up in Elizabeth. From 2nd to 6th grade, I attended blue ribbon schools (the "gifted&talented" program). I never really felt a rat race here with the vast majority of kids, but it was Elizabeth and it was elementary school (not like that makes a difference too much in some towns).
For 7th and 8th grade, through the choice program, I went to Kenilworth. Small, easygoing school. Good teachers made it good, but overall, it wasn't as challenging. I was easily at the top of my class.
For high school, we moved and I went to Millburn HS. GOSH, the change! But I also had a stigma about it. I resented a lot of it and, in turn, slacked off and didn't do so great. But I was also in honors classes and those were too challenging for me at the time. Long story short, I learned to appreciate the challenge, and by senior year, I had made great friends who were NOT all about getting into Ivy League schools and I had straight A's that year. Meanwhile I had gotten a scholarship to Kean and I was BORED in my classes! I didn't have the same challenges and I felt I had less freedoms sometimes. I hated it the 3 1/2 years I went.

My point is, it's ok to go to a rat race school and expose your kids to healthy challenges. YOU don't have to give in to the rat race and neither do they. I used to work at a math center tutoring kids, and when parents would come in frantic about their 4th grader's C on a test, it would be our stance to remind them that that C isn't going to affect their college application. So, yes, I do know that the rat race exists early on, but it does not mean you have to succumb to it. (When I say you, it's a general "you," not necessarily you, OP.)

Not that $650k could be almost any home, much less a 3000 sq ft one. But it could get some pretty good homes in Bridgewater or Branchburg, as well as Randolph or Mendham. Good schools, but I'm not sure about the "rat race" aspect.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 18,084 times
What about Glen Ridge? I'm looking at houses in that town. I saw that the schools have good rating on Greatschoo.org, ranked high by NJMonthly.

Is it a very comeptitive place like Millburn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey