Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 AM

2,733 posts, read 4,132,453 times

Advertisements

From New Jersey Monthly:

Florham Park is No. 1 On Our List of Top Towns

Mighty Maplewood Wins Downtown Showdown

Of course, Florham Park is very excited! It's all over the front page of their website.

http://www.florhamparkboro.net/index.htm

Last edited by NewJerseyMemories; 09-30-2015 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:25 AM

155 posts, read 298,147 times
Maplewood is very nice but I can't believe it won over places like Princeton and Morristown. I think the people in Maplewood are very commited to the town!!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM

472 posts, read 806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
Maplewood is very nice but I can't believe it won over places like Princeton and Morristown. I think the people in Maplewood are very commited to the town!!
I was thinking this as well.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 PM

445 posts, read 585,245 times
Didn't Montclair win a best downtown award recently?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:34 PM

166 posts, read 324,725 times
This poll was based on users voting. If you read the article about Maplewood they had a big get out the vote drive. Flyers on windows and on shops and a lot of digital get the word out. It's not the best downtown in NJ. A fine downtown yes but not the best.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:28 AM

12,099 posts, read 16,986,115 times
New Jersey Monthly's Downtown Showdown

It's kind of a testament to how crappy this state's downtown areas are that Morristown and Maplewood are the top 2 finishers, even with a stuffed ballot. Urban sprawl at its best. All of the shopping is in malls. And even many notable bars and restaurants are along highways.

I mean, c'mon downtown Morristown sucks compared to say Pasadena, California.

I would say Princeton would have to be the winner for me. Shopping, restaurants, and even a few decent bars.

And why would they put Jersey City against Hoboken in the first round. Those are both easily in the top 5, both way better than Morristown.

Last edited by jobaba; 10-01-2015 at 02:45 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,202,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

It's kind of a testament to how crappy this state's downtown areas are that Morristown and Maplewood are the top 2 finishers, even with a stuffed ballot. Urban sprawl at its best. All of the shopping is in malls. And even many notable bars and restaurants are along highways.

I would say Princeton would have to be the winner for me. Shopping, restaurants, and even a few decent bars.

And why would they put Jersey City against Hoboken in the first round. Those are both easily in the top 5, both way better than Morristown.
Maplewood has urban sprawl, malls, and highways? Have you ever been there?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,720,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Pasadena, CA is a city of 140,000, comparable in size to Paterson. Comparing little old Morristown to that is not fair.

I think our state does downtowns very well. As far as how the ballot was set up, I can only assume it was done at random. Montclair vs. Westfield stuck out as another crass first round matchup.

Nothing is perfect. And guess what else? It's an opinion-based decision! Shocked that other people have different opinions from you? Different people like different things. Some people like downtowns for bar hopping and would prefer Hoboken or Morristown, while others don't like being caught in the middle of rowdy drunken shenanigans and may prefer Princeton instead.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,986,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Pasadena, CA is a city of 140,000, comparable in size to Paterson. Comparing little old Morristown to that is not fair.

I think our state does downtowns very well. As far as how the ballot was set up, I can only assume it was done at random. Montclair vs. Westfield stuck out as another crass first round matchup.

Nothing is perfect. And guess what else? It's an opinion-based decision! Shocked that other people have different opinions from you? Different people like different things. Some people like downtowns for bar hopping and would prefer Hoboken or Morristown, while others don't like being caught in the middle of rowdy drunken shenanigans and may prefer Princeton instead.
Oh yea, I understand opinions. I actually voted Princeton #1 even though it's not my cup of tea at all. Objectively.

But Morristown boggles me. I grew up around there, and it's restaurants, bars and shopping and train station are just way behind many of the other cities. And it's not like it's pretty.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:59 AM

2,733 posts, read 4,132,453 times
What? No love for Florham Park, the #1 town in the state (and my old hometown!)???

Go, Florham Park!

You're so pretty!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey