Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann_1 View Post
I have lived in Hoboken for 10+ years and have 2 children at the Wallace Public School and I absolutely LOVE Hoboken (and my children CaptainNJ!), especially the schools. I live uptown on Grand and think it is a very nice area but people all over town love their area also.

We planned on moving to the suburbs long ago but the schools among other things have kept us here. The teachers have been just amazing and my children both recently scored very highly on the state standardized tests for math and reading. I really believe the excellent teachers, administration and curriculum are a big part of this.

CaptainNJ, you're funny.
im far from an expert on the schools there. my brother lives there but he is first getting married in September. I just googled and saw Wallace is given a 3 out of 10. that would concern me. I don't really care about the teachers as much as the other kids.

Wallace No. 6 Elementary School - Hoboken, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

oh and this is the school my daughter will be going to:

http://www.greatschools.org/new-jers...entary-School/

since it is rated a 9 and your child's school is rated a 3, it means I love my daughter 3 times as much as you love your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM

208 posts, read 466,018 times
We have a child that is turning 3 in April. We just attended the Open House for the Pre-School program. It's free preschool and it looks like most of the parents are sending them to the schools. At this age I'm not that concerned about his schooling but when he gets older I will be. It seems to be changing and depending on the age of your kids, private school or charter schools might be better if they are older than mine. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,508,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im far from an expert on the schools there. my brother lives there but he is first getting married in September. I just googled and saw Wallace is given a 3 out of 10. that would concern me. I don't really care about the teachers as much as the other kids.

Wallace No. 6 Elementary School - Hoboken, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

oh and this is the school my daughter will be going to:

Village Elementary School - Holmdel, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

since it is rated a 9 and your child's school is rated a 3, it means I love my daughter 3 times as much as you love your children.
I think everyone on the NJ forum is a little too obsessed with schools and rankings of them. It's already been confirmed that NJ is #3 behind MD and MA for best schools and cost per pupil is lower. That means tax payers are getting ripped off in my book. If it works for them, it works for them. There are many other qualities about Hoboken that I would avoid for young families. Mainly because it smells like a sewer.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's already been confirmed that NJ is #3 behind MD and MA for best schools and cost per pupil is lower.
this isn't relevant. we live in nj, not md or ma. ripped off or not, everyone has the choice of public schools, private schools or move out of state. we don't have the choice to spend less on schools while improving their quality.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM

386 posts, read 868,066 times
The issue with Hoboken schools is the fact that yuppies don't have children, and when they do they move to the suburbs.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this isn't relevant. we live in nj, not md or ma. ripped off or not, everyone has the choice of public schools, private schools or move out of state. we don't have the choice to spend less on schools while improving their quality.
I don't buy into the "that's the way it is mentality" and getting bullied by a union of greedy teachers.

Hate to say it: You're getting ripped off.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
The issue with Hoboken schools is the fact that yuppies don't have children, and when they do they move to the suburbs.
Some stick around for a few years and then finally make the move when they realize they need more space. Sadly, it's becoming more common to raise kids in Hoboken.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,235,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Challenge with Hoboken public school system is combination of multiple problems. Same one facing Jersey City (downtown area) but JC is at least a decade behind since gentrification of JC started much later and slower progress.
  • Low income housing
  • Not enough engaged parents
  • Politicians don't care (yet because there isn't enough parents of means)
  • Housing is expensive. Price jumps a lot when you go from 2bed to 3 bed.
  • Funding
  • Teachers - to clarify I don't mean just quality of teacher. I mean it all, caliber of teachers, pay of teacher, teachers not being empowered, red tapes teachers face, etc.
  • Students - some segments of students are part of problem too. ones with poor social manner that are disruptive of class, cuts class all the time, don't really care for school. usually associated with disengaged parents or parents who are too busy just to make a living.
Out of all that. In my opinion, easiest and most effective way to address school is by parents with means staying in the area and getting involved. That's much easier than somehow shutting down and moving low income housing in Hoboken to elsewhere. Or somehow forcing politicians to care more for education when their own political career is minimally affected by quality of public education. Or somehow forcing problem students to get more engaged, learn better, changed their social behavior, etc.

It does take time though. Give it sometime. I believe Weehawken has gone through similar case.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 166,117 times
If you have your heart set on a more bustling environment than most suburbs could offer, how about Morristown or Montclaire? The commute to NYC is long (longer from Morristown). That's the drawback. But the schools are much better. You have to pick and choose.

I'm just assuming you were looking at Hoboken because of its proximity to the city.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I don't buy into the "that's the way it is mentality" and getting bullied by a union of greedy teachers.

Hate to say it: You're getting ripped off.
haha so you buy into the complain on a forum and pretend you aren't giving into the "that's the way it is mentality." ok, so what are you doing to change the way it is?

I have no problem with people saying we are getting ripped off. but that's totally irrelevant here in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey