U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,227 times

Advertisements

My 2007 Honda Pilot recently showed the check engine light on so I brought it in to a local mechanic shop and he said it needs a new catalytic converter. He quoted me $800 for the job. I'm not sure why his price is so high. Does anyone know a good mechanic in the Central NJ area? Does anyone know what this type of job should cost? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM

18,013 posts, read 22,598,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranfordGuy View Post
My 2007 Honda Pilot recently showed the check engine light on so I brought it in to a local mechanic shop and he said it needs a new catalytic converter. He quoted me $800 for the job. I'm not sure why his price is so high. Does anyone know a good mechanic in the Central NJ area? Does anyone know what this type of job should cost? Thanks.
The first thing that you should be aware of is that there is no diagnostic code that equals "replace catalytic converter", and that--in fact--the codes for converters operating below their normal efficiency most often indicate a need to replace one or both of the oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream. Replacing O2 sensors costs considerably less than replacing a catalytic converter, so a good mechanic will usually try that route first.

The second thing that you should be aware of is that the catalytic converter on 6-7 year old vehicle is unlikely to have gone bad unless there is an underlying mechanical problem with the engine, including, but not limited to...oil burning...engine misfire resulting from lax maintenance...a breached head gasket. If your engine is in good condition, the catalytic converter should last for several more years, and if you replace it now while ignoring an underlying engine problem, you will just wind up replacing the CC again in the near future.

All of that being said, I think that your best bet for locating a good mechanic is to use the Mechanics Files feature that is provided on the Car Talk website. There, you can enter your zip code and read about local mechanics recommended by listeners to the Car Talk radio program:

Mechanics Files | Car Talk

Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM

11,220 posts, read 5,870,168 times
You have a relatively new car, why not go to a dealership? They're generally more honest if that is your concern.

Surprisingly, they may not always be more expensive.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM

289 posts, read 569,728 times
I think cars have a 10 yr warranty on emissions systems, in which case your dealer can get this fixed for you for free. Does not hurt to ask.

Also, $800 is actually cheap for a catalytic converter. I would do some research on Honda Pilot forums to find out the common cause and fix of these errors.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,880,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You have a relatively new car, why not go to a dealership? They're generally more honest if that is your concern.

Surprisingly, they may not always be more expensive.

The service writer at your local dealership is going to try to upsell you everything he possibly can, he gets paid comission.

You can buy the check engine light machine at an auto parts store, to know what the issue is and if you're being hosed.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 PM

389 posts, read 616,394 times
we love Frank's in scotch plains

Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 PM

11,220 posts, read 5,870,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
The service writer at your local dealership is going to try to upsell you everything he possibly can, he gets paid comission.
That has not been my experience. Long story short, I had gotten a diagnosis from Pep Boys (slimy) that I had to replace a bunch of parts that amounted to nearly $1000. I decided to get a second opinion at a dealership and they told me it was a simple fix that ended up costing me less than $100.

I have never set foot in another Pep Boys since.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,869,156 times
J&J Auto at the BP on Cranbury Rd at Rues Ln East Brunswick

Old 02-14-2014, 04:34 PM

49 posts, read 81,101 times
1. Go somewhere like Advance Auto and have them give you a free scan and report back to us with the exact code. It should start with a P.
2. If it is your catalytic converter you should smell a rotten egg scent and the idle would be rough.
3. I had a bad experience with Pep Boys and a Mazda Dealership.
3.5 Catalytic Converters cannot be purchased used like from junkyards --only new. Its Federal Law.
4. My father is a shade tree mechanic

Old 02-14-2014, 06:19 PM

279 posts, read 428,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranfordGuy View Post

I'll tell you where not to go, Meineke Car Care on Route 27 in Edison. They fixed my car OK, but they are the biggest bunch of meatheads ever. While I sat in the waiting room, I had the pleasure of listening to the manager/owner/whatever share a story about how his wife threatened to stab him to death with a butcher knife over an affair he was having...........while he proceeded to call her a c*nt, a b*tch, etc. To say that it was unprofessional is quite the understatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey