Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

I like Trader Joe's, too. Their produce isn't usually that great, but they have decent prices on some other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
We have a lot of them around here, WF, TJ's, Shoprite, McCaffrey's and Wegmans.

We are getting a Mrs. Green's Natural Market in the newly renovated Acme Plaza. Acme left a couple years ago.

Don't know anything about Mrs. Green's, seems to be the first in NJ. There is one in Calgary, Toronto, Chicago and a few in NY State. Looks a lot like Trader Joe's.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Whole foods and Trader Joe's.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a thread for you...

I can't take it anymore.
Thanks for this. ROFL

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
No, but I've seen that diner! I'll have to stop there one day.

Glad you liked the thread. It's not welcomed--and that's OK--to be a spelling or grammar "Nazi" on the forums, so we can take our frustrations there. That thread's been going on for years now because there's no end to the material City-Data posters provide! Ugh, I think I've seen "persay" or "per say" three times since yesterday...

I had an Acme coupon for $1.00 off if I bought 20 cans of Friskies, which is only five cents per can, BUT, this week the sale price on Friskies is 20 for $10, and so with the coupon, I got the Friskies for the same price I get them at Pet Smart with my Pet Perks card. Acme's a lot closer, so for this week, it saved me a trip and a little bit of gas.
Red Oak diner is really good, next time I go (possibly this week) I will have to check out the atrocious spelling and grammar!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
I *like* TJs and Wegmans but have neither in my area. For price and selection, it's ShopRite. If I cannot deal with another human being and want a close parking spot, it's Weis. Our A&P went down the tubes.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanet View Post
Shoprite: I usually go to the one in Livingston as that's where I live, but I hate turning out of there to make a left. It gets really crowded which is also annoying but it's convenient and close to home. I like buying toothpaste, diapers and other home goods on sale there.

Shoprite in Millburn: I go here on my way to work sometimes. It's small but clean and it wasn't crowded when I went- on my way to work on a weekday morning.

Trader Joe's in Millburn- I like this store a lot, clean, friendly staff, spacious but sometimes produce is not that great.
I hear we are getting a new supermarket on the circle, where Pathmark used to be. Since CVS is moving too, that leaves open a pretty big space. I heard Fairways was looking into it a while back.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
I like Trader Joe's, too. Their produce isn't usually that great, but they have decent prices on some other things.
What many people seem to be unaware of is that Whole Foods has decided to essentially match TJ's prices on staple items, such as their own brand ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. Yes, it can be extremely pricey to shop at Whole Foods if someone expects to do all of his/her food purchasing there, but if someone is an careful consumer, it is possible to buy quite a few items at WF that are no more expensive than they would be at Trader Joe's. If you concentrate on the 365 brand at Whole Foods, you will probably find that the prices are comparable to those at TJ's.

I mostly patronize Shop-Rite--partially because of the good prices, and partially because it is the closest store to my home--but there are some items that I prefer to buy at Wegman's, and there are others that I buy at Whole Foods. There isn't a TJ's that is really convenient for me, but if I am near a TJ's, then I usually buy a few items there also.

And, last but not least, if I am near an Aldi store (the down-market kissing cousin of Trader Joe's), I always stop in to buy some of their imported dark chocolate bars. Excellent quality at a very reasonable price!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What many people seem to be unaware of is that Whole Foods has decided to essentially match TJ's prices on staple items, such as their own brand ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. Yes, it can be extremely pricey to shop at Whole Foods if someone expects to do all of his/her food purchasing there, but if someone is an careful consumer, it is possible to buy quite a few items at WF that are no more expensive than they would be at Trader Joe's. If you concentrate on the 365 brand at Whole Foods, you will probably find that the prices are comparable to those at TJ's.

I mostly patronize Shop-Rite--partially because of the good prices, and partially because it is the closest store to my home--but there are some items that I prefer to buy at Wegman's, and there are others that I buy at Whole Foods. There isn't a TJ's that is really convenient for me, but if I am near a TJ's, then I usually buy a few items there also.

And, last but not least, if I am near an Aldi store (the down-market kissing cousin of Trader Joe's), I always stop in to buy some of their imported dark chocolate bars. Excellent quality at a very reasonable price!
I have bought a few of the 365 items from WF. My daughter cued me into them. WF is just not all that convenient--it's about fifteen minutes away. Trader Joe's is less than five. I could walk to it.

I've gone to Aldi's a few times and gotten some basics, and I will go again. Didn't know about the dark chocolate bars. I will definitely check that out, thanks!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
Can you buy beer in grocery stores in NJ? Last I was there, I think you couldn't. TJ's beers are great. Their hefe-weizen is the only American one I've had that compares with German. It's excellent. Their cheeses are really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey