U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 AM
 
8 posts, read 11,604 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am in the process of negotiating a career offer located in Kenilworth and would greatly appreciate recommendations regarding safe areas within 45 min.-1 hr. to look for housing/good public schools. My family and I will be renting until we become familiar with the area and purchase a home.

Where are you coming from? Memphis, TN
Why are you moving? work
Where will you be working ? Kenilworth, NJ If NYC, what part of NYC?

Will you buy or rent? rent for <1 year
What is your budget? <$2,500
What kind of place are you looking for? 2 bedroom/1 bath single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Wife & 13 year old son
Do you need/want good public schools? yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc).

The ideal neighborhood would be safe, family oriented, diverse, and near good public schools.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

-Safety
-Proximity to good public schools
-Family oriented/suburban

Many thanks in advance for your response,
fatherof2familyof4

Last edited by fatherof2familyof4; 02-19-2014 at 08:30 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
 
Location: NJ & NV
4,887 posts, read 10,175,854 times
Reputation: 1703
East of Kenilworth NJ gets urban, north is crowded, south is longer distance driving except for nearby towns like Clark, Edison starts getting crowded, etc.

So nearby towns and Westward is your best option.

Check your direct mail.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
 
8 posts, read 11,604 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
East of Kenilworth NJ gets urban, north is crowded, south is longer distance driving except for nearby towns like Clark, Edison starts getting crowded, etc.

So nearby towns and Westward is your best option.

Check your direct mail.
Hi,

Thanks so, so much for your reply. I have made a list of the towns you listed and will begin my search. Again, many thanks for your response.

fatherof2familyof4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: NJ & NV
4,887 posts, read 10,175,854 times
Reputation: 1703
There was a recent thread right on this forum about Mountainside which may give you some better "feel". A lot also depends on your preferences in towns, geographic topography, i.e. rolling hills vs flat lots, suburban vs rural, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
 
8 posts, read 11,604 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
There was a recent thread right on this forum about Mountainside which may give you some better "feel". A lot also depends on your preferences in towns, geographic topography, i.e. rolling hills vs flat lots, suburban vs rural, etc.
captne76 thanks again for your reply and recommending the Mountainside thread. Our preference is that we reside in a safe, family oriented, suburban town with good public schools. Being from Memphis, we are not use to driving in snow conditions and the reference to snow driving in the Mountainside thread has me worried. While searching online, I was able to find a map of Union county that I printing off now. Would it be okay if I direct message you regarding other towns in case you are unable to reply in this thread?

Again, my sincerest thanks for your responses.

fatherof2familyof4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM
 
Location: NJ & NV
4,887 posts, read 10,175,854 times
Reputation: 1703
Sure go ahead. We usually don't get "that much snow" here in NJ but this past winter has been one of those winters where we got one of the record amounts of snowfall. In contrast there have been winters where we might get 3 snowstorms and that's it. This year it has been like 3 a week sometimes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Location: NJ & NV
4,887 posts, read 10,175,854 times
Reputation: 1703
BTW from your perspective of driving into Kenilworth, you won't have much hills to contend with. Most of the hilly topography is behind a town like Mountainside. There is a ridge of the Watchung Mountains north of Rt22 most of it between US22 and I-78.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,060 posts, read 3,433,968 times
Reputation: 1475
Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights, Springfield, Edison, Watchung, Green Brook, Bridgewater - all family oriented towns with good schools and within 45 min drive to Kenilworth. You can easily find a 2BR/2BA apartment within your budget.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM
 
8 posts, read 11,604 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Sure go ahead. We usually don't get "that much snow" here in NJ but this past winter has been one of those winters where we got one of the record amounts of snowfall. In contrast there have been winters where we might get 3 snowstorms and that's it. This year it has been like 3 a week sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
BTW from your perspective of driving into Kenilworth, you won't have much hills to contend with. Most of the hilly topography is behind a town like Mountainside. There is a ridge of the Watchung Mountains north of Rt22 most of it between US22 and I-78.
Thanks again captne76. I will begin our search with the westward towns.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
 
8 posts, read 11,604 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights, Springfield, Edison, Watchung, Green Brook, Bridgewater - all family oriented towns with good schools and within 45 min drive to Kenilworth. You can easily find a 2BR/2BA apartment within your budget.
Thanks davenj08 for your response. I will add them to my list and begin researching them.

fatherof2familyof4
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top