Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
From the article that you linked in the OP:
There are no frats around Hartwell and where his body was found.

What are you suggesting?

Frat boys followed him for blocks and beat him to death?

I went to RU. I know exactly where the body was found.

What do you know about where Sawdust already stated about the area where his body was found.

Are you an RU grad? Or do you just visit like some other poster?

I'm an '90 RU grad and you didn't walk the streets at night alone and you never should. I think the OP has been nice so far to not call out the trash that surrounds and lives next door to students for what it is.

You know more or better?

I don't think you or anyone else who thinks this was a fraternity beat down knows a goddamn thing about the scum who live in New Brunswick and should stop pretending to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
i noticed this post didn't mentioned anything about frat parties. I live near New Brunswick and have worked/played there and am currently a student LOL no need to fail at trying to frighten me.

My first guess would be a student then a "townie".
LOL! You're a current student who has only lived near/worked and "played" in NB? Ok! Given that description you sound pretty old and creepy.

Why would you think "student" over any member residing in NB year round? And is most likely to be a gang member than not? Or a drug dealer? You don't live IN NB, do you? You don't know much about NB, do you?

Who gives a crap if he was at a frat party? It doesn't matter. He could have been hanging out at the Knight Club or the A&W or the Corner Tavern or Golden Rail or whatever...what's your point? And as it has already been stated, his body wasn't found around a frat, it was found in the backyard on a street far from campus "life"- and with all of your knowledge of how RU campus life works - you should know that the NB gangs hang around that part of town where his body was found.

Who is trying to "frighten" you? Not me.

Take it for what it is worth and watch your back. Or stay dumb.

That's up to you.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-20-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
there you go with your assumptions and for that records thats not where most of the gang activity is and it is not far from College Ave

Old 02-21-2014, 04:23 AM

65 posts, read 190,424 times
What strikes me about the article in the original post is that the authorities are not sure where the attack occured - meaning they do not necesarily believe it happened where the body was found. So did someone move the body so that where the assault originally took place wouldn't be known? Would a "townie" attacking the victim on the street be concerned about this?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Pfft - NB is nothing, My brother commuted to Fordham when the Bronx was literally on fire in the 70s.

My guess is drug deal gone bad.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Vegas odds are 4:7 your mommy still does your laundry. While you live in her basement.

Grow up.
I actually live in the attic (the basement is filled with my toy train sets and action-figure collection), and no one folds laundry like my mom!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Which story?

I haven't read anything suggesting it was a frat/drunk party gone wrong.

All I've read is that he was walking from one Valentine's Day party to another. There are no frats in the vicinity of where his body was found.

Could you link to those stories, I'm going to look on my own as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
There are no frats around Hartwell and where his body was found.

What are you suggesting?

Frat boys followed him for blocks and beat him to death?

I went to RU. I know exactly where the body was found.

What do you know about where Sawdust already stated about the area where his body was found.

Are you an RU grad? Or do you just visit like some other poster?

I'm an '90 RU grad and you didn't walk the streets at night alone and you never should. I think the OP has been nice so far to not call out the trash that surrounds and lives next door to students for what it is.

You know more or better?

I don't think you or anyone else who thinks this was a fraternity beat down knows a goddamn thing about the scum who live in New Brunswick and should stop pretending to.
So because you went to RU 25 years ago you are an expert on the town now?

LOL. Look, NB is a big city and a college town. Stories like this happen in big cities, and they happen in college towns. Its an unfortunate event. However, I could easily see this being the result of something that happened at the party he left, a beef with a frat or some girls BF, Was drunk and got in a fight, drug deal gone bad. Its just as feasible that a "townie" beat him. However this type of stupid stuff happens when folks are drinking heavily and it happens at colleges in very nice towns and not so nice towns. So as i said initially, STAY SAFE in any town you are in. But i dont think this requires some heightened state of alert or anything. But hopefully they get to the bottom of it.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,003 times
my wife works at robert wood and sees way more violent crimes than are ever reported. this could have very well gone unreported too but a death occurred. the victim was reportedly at a frat party that night but as we know his body was found in the ****ty sections of NB. maybe he was killed at the frat and dumped? maybe he walked home from the frat in a drunken stupor and pissed off the wrong people in the wrong neighborhood. that point isnt relevant anymore, the fact is new brunswick is a great town/city that has the same issues found around the country.

all one can do is be aware of their surrounding and try to avoid situations that can lead to trouble, drink and have fun but don't get black out beligerent drunk, don't walk down known sketchy areas alone at night, don't start trouble, etc. pretty common sense **** that most people know. random acts of violence can and do happen and its a damn shame for the victim in those cases but more time than not it wasn't random or it could have been avoided

for the record since this thread turned into a who knows NB better, my older brother went to RU in the early 90s and i went from 01-06 and have been in the area since

Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
It is much better now than it was 25 years ago. I was born in 1984 and have lived in the area my whole life.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
It is much better now than it was 25 years ago. I was born in 1984 and have lived in the area my whole life.
I think what is "better" now is the area directly around the campus.

And when I say better, I mean better looking.

My grandparents lived in NB until the early 60's. My Uncle grew up playing baseball with FIJI brothers (that house has since been knocked down and is a professional building now) because back then, I guess, you could let your 7 year old hang out with RU frat brothers. He also attend RU and is a FIJI brother - go figure?

The train station area was cleaned up, the high rise projects were knocked down (all but one) in the late 90's (you would have been 13 or 14 at the time - I don't know if you would remember them?).

Lots of houses and seedy businesses were knocked down, new store fronts and apartments built on top of the store fronts, RWJ bought up blocks and blocks to expand on Somerset St, etc.

The Melody and The Roxy on French....I'm old enough to have been old enough to have gone to them once or twice in my early 20's.

Some of the streets, going back 25 years ago were great (like Louis and Harvey). Today, not so much.

But you can walk one block in any direction from the "pretty & new" that is "Downtown NB" and it's the same old NB it was 25 years ago. The only thing that has changed, in my opinion, is the language spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey